The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Milley to Trump after Lafayette Square apology: "I don't expect you to understand"

• It came last year during a fiery Oval Office confrontation over Milley's public apology for appearing in a photo op with Trump at St. John's Church:

"Why did you apologize?" Trump asked him. "That’s weak."

"Not where I come from," Milley said. "It had nothing to do with you. It had to do with me and the uniform and the apolitical tradition of the United States military."

"I don’t understand that," Trump said. "It sounds like you're ashamed of your president."

"I don’t expect you to understand," Milley said. (mic drop)

Flashback ... Bender reports that former White House chief of staff John Kelly warned Milley not to accept Trump's offer to become Joint Chiefs chairman in December 2018: "I would get as far away from this f------ place as I f------ could."

6 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

That’s in LA, not San Fran, dumb  ***

As to San Fran,

“San Francisco’s rate of property crimes – including shoplifting (Figure 1) – has plummeted to its lowest level since reliable crime statistics were first compiled 45 years ago. That’s a cause for celebration, right?

Apparently not. Ignoring these clear trends, the May 21, 2021, “California Today” column by the New York Times’ San Francisco Bureau Chief Thomas Fuller declared in alarming tones: “The mundane crime of shoplifting has spun out of control in San Francisco, forcing some chain stores to close.”

Fuller’s evidence? Anecdotes, quips, and claims from spokespersons for Walgreens that thefts from its stores in San Francisco are “four times the chain’s national average, and that it had closed 17 stores, largely because the scale of thefts had made business untenable,” and from CVS branding the city “one of the epicenters of organized retail crime.” In fact, Walgreens is closing hundreds of stores nationwide in a cost-cutting measure, and the trend toward fewer but larger retail thefts is occurring statewide, not just in San Francisco. Since 2016, thefts valued at $400 or more have risen by 19 percent, while thefts valued at under $50 have fallen by 21 percent.

Why did the New York Times see fit to print an article sensationalizing San Francisco’s supposed “surge” in shoplifting that Fuller claims has worsened since he moved to the city in 2016? “The retail executives and police officers emphasized the role of organized crime in the thefts. And they told the supervisors that Proposition 47, the 2014 ballot measure that reclassified nonviolent thefts as misdemeanors if the stolen goods are worth less than $950, had emboldened thieves,” Fuller wrote.

“The one trend we are seeing is more violence and escalating — and much more bold,” said Commander Raj Vaswani, the head of the investigations bureau at the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD). “We see a lot of repeat offenders.”

In fact, San Francisco’s rates of violent and property crime peaked in 1992 and have since fallen”

http://www.cjcj.org/mobile/news/13165

There was a major bust of organized shop lifting in San Francisco in October 2020, in “Trump’s America.”

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/10/06/major-san-francisco-bay-area-retail-theft-ring-busted-five-suspects-arrested-8-million-in-stolen-merchandise-recovered/

Meanwhile, from a local San Fran newspaper:

“What you no doubt haven’t heard, because it garnered only one article in mainstream media, is that Walgreens settled a $4.5 million wage theft suit last November for robbing its California employees for years. According to plaintiffs, Walgreens failed to pay minimum wages, overtime wages, compensate for meal periods, refused to authorize and permit rest periods, lied on wage statements and engaged in an assortment of alleged illegal business practices — fleecing millions from its low wage workers. Millions that couldn’t be spent on food, diapers, rent, life-saving medicine. Millions whose absence no doubt caused countless hours of stress and mental wear and tear to the check-to-check workers that money was owed.

But because it was spread out over years and the victims were disproportionately people of color — and the suspects faceless executives — it went virtually unnoticed.

Assuming the man in The Video stole the maximum allowed for his misdemeanor charge — $949 — this would mean the Walgreens wage theft story involved 474,183% more theft yet resulted in one story compared to 309. Why? Corporate wage theft, severalstudies show, is much more prevalent than all other forms of theft — larceny, robbery, car theft — combined, yet is almost never covered in our media, outside of a handful of legal trade publications.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/San-Francisco-s-shoplifting-panic-desperately-16327614.php

tl;dr, is anyone shocked that the guy who repeatedly advocated for people on welfare to be indefinitely stripped of voting rights would share a video of a black man committing property crime and refer to it as “Biden’s America?”

I for one am not.

What part of or anywhere in Cali confuses you? Of course you try to turn it into race when the premise was crime is up in California. You are the worse kind on here...well, you are right up there with Moses.

If Hunter were only Jared Kushner? You'd have plenty to say, My bad, you must be out buying his art (to unknown pay to play access buyers) as I type.

Most of us have advanced degrees on ABF, but I have to ask for my own pleasure, why is "their" so often misspelled by so many of our posters?  Is this a common core thing? If so, it explains why WFW is one of the few here that gets it right.

@Big_Dog gets it right too, but we both went to school a while back, and before cc was a thing for gramps, so we can just blame it on brainworms in his case.

Seriously, does anyone know what the **** Biden is saying anymore? Oh, just had to -1 a guy for saying imaginary lake house...the jelly in here is on high alert.

6 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Most of us have advanced degrees on ABF, but I have to ask for my own pleasure, why is "their" so often misspelled by so many of our posters?  Is this a common core thing? If so, it explains why WFW is one of the few here that gets it right.

@Big_Dog gets it right too, but we both went to school a while back.

Old man you have repeatedly said "racists" while saying if someone is or is not a racist. Shouldn't throw stones from your imaginary glass lake house.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi is considering adding another anti-Trump House Republican to the select committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, with Rep. Adam Kinzinger as a leading contender.

Pelosi suggested Thursday that she would consider appointing more Republicans to the Jan. 6 probe, less than 24 hours after she nixed two vocally pro-Trump GOP lawmakers for the select panel. The current sole GOP member of the panel, Rep. Liz Cheney, separately made clear that she would support two well-known additions to the committee: Kinzinger (R-Ill.), Cheney's partner in conservative opposition to Donald Trump, and former Rep. Denver Riggleman (R-Va.), a possible pick as Cheney's outside adviser in the investigation.

6 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi is considering adding another anti-Trump House Republican to the select committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, with Rep. Adam Kinzinger as a leading contender.

Pelosi suggested Thursday that she would consider appointing more Republicans to the Jan. 6 probe, less than 24 hours after she nixed two vocally pro-Trump GOP lawmakers for the select panel. The current sole GOP member of the panel, Rep. Liz Cheney, separately made clear that she would support two well-known additions to the committee: Kinzinger (R-Ill.), Cheney's partner in conservative opposition to Donald Trump, and former Rep. Denver Riggleman (R-Va.), a possible pick as Cheney's outside adviser in the investigation.

The only concerns that I have with that is that pro Trump republicans are going to start to yell Witch-hunt again.

33 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Also, he wasn't drafted to be "our star/superstar." He was a 19th pick. You're hoping for anything decent there. While he had some nice potential, he was far away from a star-type pick and he's greatly outperformed his draft slot.

I forgot he was drafted that late.  I agree he's outperformed his draft slot, but is he worth a max contract?  Someone is going to give him one.  I just don't know if it should be us. 

HOWEVER, while this year was an aberration (shortened, compressed regular that led to an inordinate amount of playoff injuries to stars of the teams originally favored to win), a small market team with one bonafide superstar, but not a "super team", just won it all, and we gave that same team a run for its money.  We've all been talking about packaging some of these younger guys to trade for a second superstar this year or next.  I wonder if it's not a better strategy to keep Collins and re-sign the young core too - Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, and OO, to keep them with Trae.  If that young core gets (and stays) healthy and continues to develop, we could dominate the East for five plus years. 

While previously a big fan of Capela, I'm not sure he ties into our long term plans like the young core does. 

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

The only concerns that I have with that is that pro Trump republicans are going to start to yell Witch-hunt again.

They were going to do that anyway.  But now you don’t have them using parliamentary tactics (“POINT OF ORDER, POINT OF ORDER, POINT OF ORDER”) to turn the hearings into a circus.  And now they can’t drag out things like subpoenas and depositions with those parliamentary tactics.

I think they played the entire thing wrong.  They would have been better off with the original bipartisan commission where they could block subpoenas and/or call their own witnesses.  

6 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

@Big_Dog let's take a trip to San Fran or anwhere Cali and load up on your depends because they are free now, and any other old people's she-it you might need.

Welcome to Biden's America

I watched a news segment the other day where this seems to be the latest fad and shop keepers are frustrated beyond belief because the cops are not doing anything for "petty theft" crime, which emboldens these punks to keep doing it with no ****s given. Need to put auto locks on their doors and bring out the baseball bats. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I forgot he was drafted that late.  I agree he's outperformed his draft slot, but is he worth a max contract?  Someone is going to give him one.  I just don't know if it should be us. 

HOWEVER, while this year was an aberration (shortened, compressed regular that led to an inordinate amount of playoff injuries to stars of the teams originally favored to win), a small market team with one bonafide superstar, but not a "super team", just won it all, and we gave that same team a run for its money.  We've all been talking about packaging some of these younger guys to trade for a second superstar this year or next.  I wonder if it's not a better strategy to keep Collins and re-sign the young core too - Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, and OO, to keep them with Trae.  If that young core gets (and stays) healthy and continues to develop, we could dominate the East for five plus years. 

While previously a big fan of Capela, I'm not sure he ties into our long term plans like the young core does. 

the term "max" is such a misnomer because he will not be paid remotely as much as most other "max" players. We've also seen that even bigger contracts for worse/older players are tradeable. Given his youth, production, work-ethic, etc, I don't think there'd be any problem moving his contract if we wanted to later. It won't be some albatross.

Further, whether he's worth the "max" this year is probably less important because it's not like letting him walk frees up a bunch of money to sign players. While we can pay John whatever we want (as well as Trae and Huerter and next year Hunter and Cam) and go as far over as we like (dependent on Ressler's stomach for the tax), we can't do that with free agents and such.  So if we lose him, the money we have to replace him will likely not come close to replacing his production on the court, much less his impact off-the-court (chemistry, experience with teammates, etc.)

I'm always interested in a consolidation trade for a superstar, though as I understand it, JC could not be part of such a trade this year because in a SnT only the outgoing player may be traded (though the return can be multiple players/picks) and once signed can't be traded for a year, I think. But if we want to run it back, see the development, and then try next year his (now max or close) salary and talent would prove very valuable in such a trade.

But if there's one available this year or next that doesn't destroy the team entirely, I'd go for it. 

16 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

They were going to do that anyway.  But now you don’t have them using parliamentary tactics (“POINT OF ORDER, POINT OF ORDER, POINT OF ORDER”) to turn the hearings into a circus.  And now they can’t drag out things like subpoenas and depositions with those parliamentary tactics.

I think they played the entire thing wrong.  They would have been better off with the original bipartisan commission where they could block subpoenas and/or call their own witnesses.  

This is true.

13 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I watched a news segment the other day where this seems to be the latest fad and shop keepers are frustrated beyond belief because the cops are not doing anything for "petty theft" crime, which emboldens these punks to keep doing it with no ****s given. Need to put auto locks on their doors and bring out the baseball bats. 

Sounds about right. I remember NYC police wasn't doing much of anything to address that when I was visiting in the late 80s.

I was in downtown Manhattan and saw two cops that were talking to each other and a guy ran past me, snatched up a load of tee shirts from a vendor table and literally ran past the two cops. One just looked back at the perp and they kept right on with their conversation with no f**ks given. I guess with all of the other crimes, petty thefts weren't worth their time.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Any trade for a superstar would have us shipping Cam, Hunter, Okongwu (just had shoulder surgery/out for 6 months) plus at least 2 future first rd picks. Collins is my favorite player on the team but he's not a max contract guy. But we do need someone to fill Collins shoes if he leaves. 

I kinda like Karl Anthony Towns if a trade does go down though.

1 hour ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Fox News and Tucker Carlson should be held liable for this. He's regurgitating thier talking points.

This is why I am absolutely ok with this part of the population dying off.

This dude is up in the hospital going through this and STILL talking politics v Science!?? 

That’s some serious dedication to stupidity! 

45 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Or that all of the treatment for his covid that he got in the hospital hasn't been officially approved by the FDA either. 

Isn’t the hospital FORCING him to take treatment and stay???? 

I say get up and walk out and give them the finger man! 

And if that’s not good enough to leave you alone, go ahead and drop dead! That’ll teach’em!!! 

7 minutes ago, Sponge said:

Any trade for a superstar would have us shipping Cam, Hunter, Okongwu (just had shoulder surgery/out for 6 months) plus at least 2 future first rd picks. Collins is my favorite player on the team but he's not a max contract guy. But we do need someone to fill Collins shoes if he leaves. 

I kinda like Karl Anthony Towns if a trade does go down though.

Hunter isn't going anywhere, but an offer of Cam and OO plus vet/s for salary matching, along with 3 future firsts (and a couple matches, if necessar0, would probably be as good as anyone else could offer. If it was a worthy enough superstar, I'd do it.

59 minutes ago, Statick said:

Wait until he gets that hospital bill...

I’m waiting for the Insurance Companies to start saying this was a preventable condition if you took the Vaccine and start denying claims based on who took it and who didn’t.

It is well within them to find just one more way to not pay the bull, so it’s not pie in the sky dreaming. 

10 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Hunter isn't going anywhere, but an offer of Cam and OO plus vet/s for salary matching, along with 3 future firsts (and a couple matches, if necessar0, would probably be as good as anyone else could offer. If it was a worthy enough superstar, I'd do it.

I read some random *** article speculating about Hunter + OO (leaving Cam with us) plus two future firsts for KAT.  I know Hunter is better than Cam right now, but I wonder who has the higher ceiling.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread