The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Just now, Southern California Liar said:

At some points it kinda feels like we deserve what's coming. Not all of us but humanity as a whole. We peaked a long time ago.

Those claims that we need to pull the brake cord and reverse everything by 2030 seem way too optimistic right now. I live in central Ohio and there's smoke from the west coast creating haze. I expect there to be an air quality alert soon.

And all because we can't sweep the floor in our forests like they do in Europe.

1 minute ago, Sponge said:

We're scheduled to get our vaccine shot on Saturday, been putting it off long enough. My daughter (13) is getting hers too. I'm just a little worried about her being so close the the "12 and over" part though. What kind of side effects did you guys have? And have any of your kids been vaccinated?

I had literally no discernable side effects (Team Pfizer, BTW). No kids, but if I did, I'd probably vaccinate them out of an abundance of caution after doing my research. Up here, they just passed a law that forbids vax requirements in public schools and no schools are going to require kids to mask up as yet.

Personally, I wasn't going to get the jab when I did but my state had rumblings of opening before the numbers warranted it. I decided having the shot amid questions about it was better than walking through grocery stores with a bunch of coughing unmasked people. Besides, after losing Pops, I wanted to protect my Mom and a my brother-in-law who's immuno-compromised because of a transplant.

If my state was still treating Covid as something other than a political football, I probably still wouldn't have it.

14 minutes ago, Sponge said:

We're scheduled to get our vaccine shot on Saturday, been putting it off long enough. My daughter (13) is getting hers too. I'm just a little worried about her being so close the the "12 and over" part though. What kind of side effects did you guys have? And have any of your kids been vaccinated?

I got the pfizer vaccine and so did most of my family. Only side effect I had was soreness at injection site the next day.  The 2nd shot is suppose to be one that really hits you, but I had the same side effect as the first shot. Same with my parents.

My half sister, who is 12, also got vaccinated. She just had soreness in her arm after the first shot, but didn't feel well the next day after the 2nd shot, but was better the following day. 

26 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I had literally no discernable side effects (Team Pfizer, BTW). No kids, but if I did, I'd probably vaccinate them out of an abundance of caution after doing my research. Up here, they just passed a law that forbids vax requirements in public schools and no schools are going to require kids to mask up as yet.

Personally, I wasn't going to get the jab when I did but my state had rumblings of opening before the numbers warranted it. I decided having the shot amid questions about it was better than walking through grocery stores with a bunch of coughing unmasked people. Besides, after losing Pops, I wanted to protect my Mom and a my brother-in-law who's immuno-compromised because of a transplant.

If my state was still treating Covid as something other than a political football, I probably still wouldn't have it.

23 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I got the pfizer vaccine and so did most of my family. Only side effect I had was soreness at injection site the next day.  The 2nd shot is suppose to be one that really hits you, but I had the same side effect as the first shot. Same with my parents.

My half sister, who is 12, also got vaccinated. She just had soreness in her arm after the first shot, but didn't feel well the next day after the 2nd shot, but was better the following day. 

We're getting our shot at the local Walgreens drug store. Their site says it's "Pfizer-BioNtech". Is that the same as you guys' shot?

12 minutes ago, Sponge said:

We're getting our shot at the local Walgreens drug store. Their site says it's "Pfizer-BioNtech". Is that the same as you guys' shot?

That's what I took. And I'm glad for it because Johnson & Johnson's seems to have multiple issues and it was the most widely available in my area. For the record: Between my folks and friends, I know of people who have received each of the shots with nobody reporting issues. My wife is a huge worry wart who can spot a conspiracy days early and from miles away and she had me wait an extra week for Pfizer to be available after looking into all of them. Not an endorsement, but just part of my reason for taking Pfizer.

2 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

That's what I took. And I'm glad for it because Johnson & Johnson's seems to have multiple issues and it was the most widely available in my area. For the record: Between my folks and friends, I know of people who have received each of the shots with nobody reporting issues. My wife is a huge worry wart who can spot a conspiracy days early and from miles away and she had me wait an extra week for Pfizer to be available after looking into all of them. Not an endorsement, but just part of my reason for taking Pfizer.

I had the J&J.  Played crappy golf the next day, took a cart instead of walking, and took a nap when I got home.  A little sluggish the next day after than and then fine.  A couple of weeks ago, they announced it was effective against the Delta variant, but yesterday I heard there might be a booster.

That's fine.  I'm happy to take a booster, or just a full dose of another vaccine.  I was and remain thrilled that I got the J Jab back at the end of March. I had a great spring.

1 hour ago, Sponge said:

Moderna made my arm sore both times, that's it. 

25 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I swear, for as often as I've thought that it would be perfect if only anti-vaxxers and science deniers got Covid, the irony of hearing about it is actually sadder than what I imagined it would be.

We've intubated some that were claiming it's a hoax even as the tube was going down their throat. 

Social media has been a blight on our society. I'd turn it all off today if I could. 

17 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

We've intubated some that were claiming it's a hoax even as the tube was going down their throat. 

Social media has been a blight on our society. I'd turn it all off today if I could. 

How are things going in your neck of the woods? Are you guys seeing rises in hospitalizations and such?

12 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

How are things going in your neck of the woods? Are you guys seeing rises in hospitalizations and such?

Yeah, covid admissions starting to tick back up, but not drastically. We're seeing a lot of covid coming through the ER, but it's predominantly young unvaccinated people that aren't sick enough to admit so we send them home. 

We're going to have another spike because of delta, but it's not going to be nearly as bad as the spike this past winter. The vast majority of old and vulnerable have already been vaccinated, even in a deep red area like south GA.

37 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I have now done a little research and, although the NYU study is yet to be peer reviewed, it seems the the earlier limited study findings the the J Jab was effective against the Delta variant are wrong, and I could be at risk.

Dr. Vin Gupta is encouraging people with the J&J to get a MRNA booster.  

I'm trying to reach my doctor, but it is taking a while.

Any thoughts?

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread