The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Hopefully Dems will just eliminate the filibuster.  From Punchbowl News…

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is taking a very hard line on the debt ceiling. His message -- if Senate Democrats want to raise the debt ceiling, they’re going to have to do it themselves because no Republicans will vote for it in the current “environment” on Capitol Hill. 

“I can’t imagine there will be a single Republican voting to raise the debt ceiling after what we’ve been experiencing,” McConnell told Bres on Tuesday night in the Capitol.

McConnell, however, believes this is a problem for Democrats to handle. He thinks Democrats should include a debt ceiling increase or suspension in whatever reconciliation package they put together and pass it themselves on a party line vote. 

This isn’t a completely unusual position for Republicans in the minority. But the problem here for Democrats is that they won’t be able to put together a reconciliation bill for weeks or even several months, and the federal government will likely reach its borrowing limit much sooner. …

Some Democrats believe McConnell wouldn’t be able to keep all his Republicans in line if the House were to send over a stand-alone bill to suspend the debt limit until, say, the middle of 2023 -- especially if Wall Street starts leaning on GOP lawmakers. But we’d also caution anyone from betting against McConnell.

^^^The risk of defaulting on the national debt because Republicans filibustered would be the strongest argument yet for just ending the filibuster altogether.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

In fairness to sponge, you’ve posted that image and the red haired lady at the fast food counter as many times and likely more than wfw ever posted the cat filing its nails gif. 

Fair enough…. 

But they still fit the situation! 🤣

22 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

These folks have gotten way too comfortable in the last few years. It's going to take a few of them catching some hands. 

I think we need to just start Hulk smashing every time this happens. Calls to resign and boycotts don't change the way people talk. Broken jaws do.

49 minutes ago, Downvote Don said:

Which reminds me:  I have watched the clip that begins at about 1:55 over and over and over . . .

Do they have a Mike Pence double to throw off anyone that would get close enough?  

Any thoughts on this?

It looks like him to me. They probably wouldn't have known in advance of the attack to round up a double IMHO.

1 hour ago, Downvote Don said:

Which reminds me:  I have watched the clip that begins at about 1:55 over and over and over . . .

Do they have a Mike Pence double to throw off anyone that would get close enough?  

Any thoughts on this?

Conservatism has truly morphed into some nasty s***.

1 hour ago, Downvote Don said:

Any thoughts on this?

That really appears to be the case. Wonder if the have a decoy fly to land on his head, too?

1 hour ago, NightPain said:

Personally I want my politicians to support the suppression of American blacks and browns. But that’s just me

Uh oh. Someone's lame race joke fell flat.

We're scheduled to get our vaccine shot on Saturday, been putting it off long enough. My daughter (13) is getting hers too. I'm just a little worried about her being so close the the "12 and over" part though. What kind of side effects did you guys have? And have any of your kids been vaccinated?

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread