The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

we’re going to demand what we demand and the democratic party is just going to have to deal with it.

and if they keep listening to people that tell them lecturing us on slogans is the way to go, then i hope they find whatever segment of the electorate they’re looking for because i’m not going to be a part of it.

47 minutes ago, achilles return said:

we’re going to demand what we demand and the democratic party is just going to have to deal with it.

and if they keep listening to people that tell them lecturing us on slogans is the way to go, then i hope they find whatever segment of the electorate they’re looking for because i’m not going to be a part of it.

I think it’s a real problem when people ignore or just refuse to acknowledge the data and expert analysis based on that data.  Activism should be based on facts and evidence about the most effective ways to communicate with citizens.  Otherwise, it’s self-defeating.

I don’t think he understands how the math works…

WASHINGTON - Taking inspiration from Texas Democrats' bid to stop a new round of election laws in their cite, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said he would leave the nation's capital to block Democrats from passing a key priority of President Joe Biden's agenda.

Graham said the move may be necessary to stop Senate Democrats from passing a $3.5 trillion budget reconciliation package, which includes many long-standing Democratic priorities regarding social services, the environment and infrastructure.

Noting that the Senate requires a quorum — the minimum number of senators present to conduct business — Graham said he "would leave before I'd let that happen." 

At least 51 senators must be present on the floor for the upper chamber to conduct business, according to the U.S. Constitution. Quorum is normally assumed unless a roll call vote or other motion finds that not enough senators are present.

^^^So the only way they don’t have a quorum is if all 50 Rep Senators leave.  That means only the 50 Dems will be present.  If none of them calls for a quorum then it’s assumed a quorum is present and they move on with business.  Edit:  And I’m pretty sure they can pass stuff with unanimous consent and not need to take a roll call vote.  

2 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I think it’s a real problem when people ignore or just refuse to acknowledge the data and expert analysis based on that data.  Activism should be based on facts and evidence about the most effective ways to communicate with citizens.  Otherwise, it’s self-defeating.

ok

i don’t agree with your premise or your conclusion

oh well

39 minutes ago, AF89 said:

@Negative-Nancy I'm having a normal one

So, for two years, it has seemed like Atlanta United was try to destroy itself. But, these are the same guys that built the premier franchise in the MLS, so they had to know what they were doing, right?

Turns out, yeah, they know what they’re doing. They are trying to destroy the franchise!

12 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

Activism should be based on what's right no matter how unpopular it is. That's how you move the politicians. That dude is talking about electoral politics, not what is right and wrong.

Activism should never be based on what's popular...... that's......well its not Activism. That's politics.

If you can get more people on board with one type of messaging versus losing a lot of people with another slogan, why wouldn’t you use the more effective messaging?  

And yes, he is talking about electoral politics.  But again you can’t pass anything without appealing to voters.  Running around with “defund the police” hurt Democrats in several areas and apparently the police messaging hurt Dems with hispanic voters.  So the people supporting those policies ended up hurting their own cause with an unpopular slogan that turned off more people than it gained.  That’s counter-productive.

Like, imagine if Dems had won 1 or 2 more senate seats last year.  We wouldn’t be having these conversations about the filibuster and police reform would probably have been passed or at least on track to pass soon.  I don’t think “defund the police” is the reason Susan Collins won, but it definitely cost Dems some House seats, according to all of the analyses and data we have so far.  

Messaging matters.  That shouldn’t be controversial.  

And by the way, the main reason that I posted the information was to show that Dems need to do better with hispanic voters and the fact that their losses among that group were national and not isolated to Florida/Texas.  It wasn’t to get into another messaging debate.  The bigger point is that there’s now some very credible data analysis showing that it’s a major concern for Dems in 2022 and 2024.

45 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

If you can get more people on board with one type of messaging versus losing a lot of people with another slogan, why wouldn’t you use the more effective messaging?  

And yes, he is talking about electoral politics.  But again you can’t pass anything without appealing to voters.  Running around with “defund the police” hurt Democrats in several areas and apparently the police messaging hurt Dems with hispanic voters.  So the people supporting those policies ended up hurting their own cause with an unpopular slogan that turned off more people than it gained.  That’s counter-productive.

39 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Like, imagine if Dems had won 1 or 2 more senate seats last year.  We wouldn’t be having these conversations about the filibuster and police reform would probably have been passed or at least on track to pass soon.  I don’t think “defund the police” is the reason Susan Collins won, but it definitely cost Dems some House seats, according to all of the analyses and data we have so far.  

Messaging matters.  That shouldn’t be controversial.  

MLK cracked the code of the time and he was still hated. It was getting your *** beat more in public where everyone can see along with a consistent message.

How can the poor get poorer? How can black people get killed more while their murders are literally videotaped? 

Everything is happening in real-time nowadays. The messaging has  counter messaging by the next few months if not days. The numbers, the videos, the stats, they don't matter anymore. In this crazy time where folks flip back and forth consistency matters. Genuine beliefs no matter how popular or unpopular they are throughout years and years is what wins over people, even those who disagree with you on certain issues. This poll tested ******** is exactly why dems will continue to lose in the end.

Bernie was laughed at for years and years until he got the most single donor contributions of any presidential candidate ever. Normal *** folks put their money where their heart is and here we are talking about polls. When normal folks put their money into something they believe in that something.

And here's where you're gonna talk about the science of it, and how that stuff doesn't work.

Type out that the most Trumpian candidates aren't gonna win their elections on a large scale. How there's no chance that the candidates that embrace Trump and his messaging are doomed to lose their races in the house. Embracing a radical message is a losing course.

3 hours ago, Negative-Nancy said:

So, for two years, it has seemed like Atlanta United was try to destroy itself. But, these are the same guys that built the premier franchise in the MLS, so they had to know what they were doing, right?

Turns out, yeah, they know what they’re doing. They are trying to destroy the franchise!

Theres a (very small) chance we can time this right and get Tata back just as his Mexico contract expires soon depending on whether or not both parties are interested in going forward with World Cup qualifiers next year

Space Jam is just Ready Player One levels of reference but I will admit some of them were unexpected and good

The Lebron trying to connect to his son subplot is the absolute biggest drag I can remember. If you fast forward through those scenes its probably a better movie.

55 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

If life was a movie this would be the part where bad writers are just exposing the plot

Very excited to have my sh*t kicked in by dancing Amazon droids in the upcoming corporate rebellions.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread