The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

7 hours ago, NightPain said:

Some of my best friends are liberals. One of my longtime liberal friends just spent a week at the lake house. We spent many nights down at the fire pit playing guitar. He is one of the best guitar players I've ever known, I wish my skill level was on his level, but I can honestly say I have a better voice. He is in multiple bands, several of which I've made a few guest appearances for.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Oh but look, he actually did tell his supporters to get vaccinated.  What more could he possibly do?

^^^What people who want to defend Trump will probably say.

"I would recommend it, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get it. And a lot of those people voted for me, frankly. But, you know, again, we have our freedoms and we have to live by that, and I agree with that also," Trump said during an interview with Fox News on Tuesday. "But it's a great vaccine, it's a safe vaccine, and it's something that works."

21 hours ago, NightPain said:

The Dems have slid into republican territory. I think it’s tim for a new left wing party to form and try to gain ground in blue strong holds and grow from there. Until something drastic like that happens we will be held hostage by the center right. 

I don’t even think it’s the center right, I think it’s closer to being the far right TBH. 

For the life of me, I cannot understand why it’s so hard to message stuff that is vastly popular and play by the same rules the other side uses!

7 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I don’t even think it’s the center right, I think it’s closer to being the far right TBH. 

For the life of me, I cannot understand why it’s so hard to message stuff that is vastly popular and play by the same rules the other side uses!

How in the world can you say that Biden and the Democrats are “far right”?  The stimulus alone, with the $300-per-child monthly direct payments to parents, should dispel the notion that Biden and Dems are governing as “far right”.

3 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

How in the world can you say that Biden and the Democrats are “far right”?  The stimulus alone, with the $300-per-child monthly direct payments to parents, should dispel the notion that Biden and Dems are governing as “far right”.

Oh that’s not what I was saying, I was saying that as a party as a whole, they are afraid of what the right will do.

And the right has moved so far to the extreme, they are being ran by the far side of them.

6 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

anywho, anyone watching Mythic Quest?

I'm not.  I didn't think we had Apple TV, but my wife thinks we do, I haven't tried to open it, been watching The Americans (excellent) on Prime.  Everybody keeps telling us to watch Ted Lasso, so I need to fire it up.

28 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It is on my list

28 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I'm not.  I didn't think we had Apple TV, but my wife thinks we do, I haven't tried to open it, been watching The Americans (excellent) on Prime.  Everybody keeps telling us to watch Ted Lasso, so I need to fire it up.

It’s very good! Mythic Quest that is.

But Ted Lasso is also very good

6 minutes ago, achilles return said:

if democrats want to listen to guys like this i’m fine staying home, i guess.

He’s a data analyst and he’s presenting solid evidence to support his conclusions, which I don’t think are all that controversial.  Why should I question the accuracy or validity of his analysis?

And I’ll paste from the original post about what he said, with what I think is the most important part of his analysis in bold…

“Precinct by precinct what we really found was that even though there were particularly marked shifts- in South Texas, there were 30-point swings in many counties. There were counties that had voted for Democrats solidly in the 70 to 80% percent range since the 1890s that Trump either won or came very close to winning. And in South Florida generally and Florida in general, there was something like a 13 or 14% swing. That said, basically everywhere where there were large concentrations of Hispanic voters, there were large swings in the 6 to 9% range. And that ranges from the Bronx in New York to Arizona to Massachusetts to California. This was a national trend that happened basically everywhere. And one of the biggest predictors of switching from voting for Clinton in 2016 to voting in Trump were attitudes toward crime, attitudes toward policing. I think that that's a microcosm for, like, a larger story....

I think that if you look at defund the police, that's a highly ideological issue where liberals are on one end, and conservatives are on the other. And that really contrasts to other issues like increasing the minimum wage or getting people health care, where there really are a lot of conservatives who defect and have liberal positions on these issues....

I think there's been a really big change in how Democrats talk... Democrats historically were seen as this kind of coalition party that had this broad mix of conservative Black and Hispanic voters and white liberals, and working-class white people. And we try to find language that would make everyone happy. But I think with the rise of online donations, with the rise of social media, this has really changed the incentive structure for how a Democratic politician can get ahead. And I think that that's really changed how we talk and how the party is perceived in really fundamental ways."

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread