The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

7 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Also, David Shor is not just some random Democratic operative…

David Shor (born 1991[1]) is an American data scientist known for analyzing political polls.[2] He currently serves as head of data science with OpenLabs, a progressive nonprofit.[3][4] He presently serves as a Senior Fellow with the Center for American Progress Action Fund.[5] Previously, he worked as a senior data scientist with Civis Analytics in Chicago.[6] Shor spent 7 years at Civis,[7] where he operated the company's web-based survey.[8] Shor advised a number of liberal political action committees during the 2020 election cycle.[9]

Shor grew up in Miami, Florida, in a Sephardic Jewish family.[10] He holds a math degree from Florida International University.[11] Shor was a precocious child and gifted in mathematics, starting his undergraduate degree at the age of 13 and finishing at the age of 17.[12] Shor was awarded the Math in Moscow scholarship in Fall 2009.[13]

In 2012, he joined the Obama re-election campaign, working on the Chicago-based team that tracked internal and external polls and developed forecasts.[14] Shor was 20 when he started working on the Obama campaign.[15] The team Shor worked with developed a polling model that projected President Obama's vote share within 1 percentage point in eight of the nine battleground states.[16] This forecasting model was known as "The Golden Report".[17] Prior to joining the Obama Campaign, Shor worked with Nate Silver.[18]

ok

23 minutes ago, Sturgil Simpson said:

I was looking forward to seeing some of the Steelers training camp in Latrobe this year, but the NFL moved it due to the extremely low vaccination rate in Westmoreland county. At this point people not getting the vaccine is out of pure spite or ignorance. 

Conservatives are h***bent on proving how right Darwin was.

2 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Conservatives are h***bent on proving how right Darwin was.

I hate to have this thought but the Delta variant is gonna be firmly implanted across the nation by this fall and it's becoming a pandemic among the unvaccinated. Partisanship being what is in modern day America and elections being so close........it really seems like the chances of Covid altering elections because a certain voting bloc just isn't there anymore could be a possible reality.

4 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

I hate to have this thought but the Delta variant is gonna be firmly implanted across the nation by this fall and it's becoming a pandemic among the unvaccinated. Partisanship being what is in modern day America and elections being so close........it really seems like the chances of Covid altering elections because a certain voting bloc just isn't there anymore could be a possible reality.

I'm personally p*ssed off because the whole point of trying to vaccinate 70%+ of the people was to reduce the opportunity for the virus to evolve. What the network news isn't reporting is the fact that although the Delta variant isn't killing a high number of vaccinated people, the next iteration of the virus is likely to be nearly as deadly for them as it is for the anti-vaxxers.

When the CDC ultimately admits that we're going to need boosters, the nutjobs will crow and say it's proof that the vaccine didn't work (against a virus that doesn't exist) and the reluctant vaxxers will be less likely to get the booster. We're in a race to the bottom and people are willing to kill or die to stroke the ego of one false god. Well, with Jair Bolsonaro, Narenda Modri and others, I guess there are more than one. But you get my point.

5 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I'm personally p*ssed off because the whole point of trying to vaccinate 70%+ of the people was to reduce the opportunity for the virus to evolve. What the network news isn't reporting is the fact that although the Delta variant isn't killing a high number of vaccinated people, the next iteration of the virus is likely to be nearly as deadly for them as it is for the anti-vaxxers.

When the CDC ultimately admits that we're going to need boosters, the nutjobs will crow and say it's proof that the vaccine didn't work (against a virus that doesn't exist) and the reluctant vaxxers will be less likely to get the booster. We're in a race to the bottom and people are willing to kill or die to stroke the ego of one false god. Well, with Jair Bolsonaro, Narenda Modri and others, I guess there are more than one. But you get my point.

I don't really think about it like that because its global and even if the US were to get to 70% there are much more densely populated and poorer countries where it was going to mutate and those variants will end up here no matter what we do. Completely agree with the booster shots and where that's going though.

12 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

I don't really think about it like that because its global and even if the US were to get to 70% there are much more densely populated and poorer countries where it was going to mutate and those variants will end up here no matter what we do. Completely agree with the booster shots and where that's going though.

Yeah, it's like having a nonsmoking section in the same room. It's going to filter into the "clean" area if you can't block it off. So, this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a bunch of whimpering about whether self-preservation is overrated.

The aliens were right to wait us out. In a century, they can move into the homes we leave behind.

4 minutes ago, AF89 said:

So I guess I was wrong on the demise of the Bucks and Giannis knee

Have you ever seen a knee hyperextend that much without tearing at least two ligaments? Forget the "Greek", he's literally a freak.

4 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Yeah, it's like having a nonsmoking section in the same room. It's going to filter into the "clean" area if you can't block it off. So, this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a bunch of whimpering about whether self-preservation is overrated.

The aliens were right to wait us out. In a century, they can move into the homes we leave behind.

We've all been predicting the sun exploding, nuclear war, or climate conditions that are unsustainable.............a noisy whimpering of an easily avoidable situation that only required the slightest of alterations in behavior sounds about right actually.

2 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Phoenix making Briok Lopez look like an All Star on the odd night too makes me feel better

They are making the entire bucks team look like the eastern conference all star team.

The bucks are shooting like 65% and even when the suns are contesting shots the bucks are still making a stupid number of shots.

10 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

Its a shame that the dude who organized and planned D-day was a commie.

On the real though I haven't studied Eisenhower much but it really feels like he had a Alfred Nobel aww **** what have I helped bring into the world moment 

Well, I submit that the Penal-Industrial Complex is of similar importance. Money has always been the problem.

5 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Well, I submit that the Penal-Industrial Complex is of similar importance. Money has always been the problem.

On the grand scale of things the military industrial complex dwarfs prison spending. Without actually looking at the numbers and going off of memory I don't even think its close. Like at all.

25 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

On the grand scale of things the military industrial complex dwarfs prison spending. Without actually looking at the numbers and going off of memory I don't even think its close. Like at all.

There are different types of costs. I shouldn't have couched my statement by mentioning money.

Of course there's a higher financial cost for the Military-Industrial Complex, but the penal side of the misery index has a greater impact on the lives of Americans than the military. Not only does it incarcerate millions of people to keep judges, cops, lawyers, probation officers, guards and wardens employed, it permanently decreases the earning potential and opportunities of those caught in its cycle and perpetuates poverty to make sure the monster will always be fed.

With that said, the military also decreases those opportunities by stealing a huge amount of money that could be used to make lives better. To say the least about how many people are killed internationally in conflicts that are easy to spark thanks to the need to use and replenish weapons.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread