The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

3 hours ago, lostone said:

I’ll be in Cancun Monday fam.  I may see Ted Cruz running away from Texans... what should I say to him?!  Nm, I’ll just say “hey, running from your constituents again I see”

Speaking of running into ********* politicians, Yesterday, I introduced myself and son to Kasim Reed: Big Smile and excited “Mayor Reed!!!  I’m Downvote Don, and this is my son, Downvote Don Jr.” nice handshakes.  “My wife is Mrs. Holymoses. A few years back she was selected to be the director of the city ethics board but YOU played ball with Governor Deal and made sure she didn’t get that job.”  (Still smiling as he suddenly walked away.)

I saw him again today (Colony Square food court again) with my friend from Tucson.  “Dave, this is Mayor Reed! I was just telling you about how he was the reason my family moved to Nashville and I commuted every week for two years….”

suddenly, the smiling stops  

“What do you want me to do”

“You DO know who Mrs  HolyMoses is” 

“Yes”

”An apology would be a good start”

”I’m not going to do that”

”Well, I guess I just want you to know how your CORRUPTION impacts the lives of regular folks who are just doing the best they can.”

”Stop talking to me”  

Next time I see him I’ll just quietly say “yeah…. Go **** yourself.”

13 hours ago, Serge said:

That's partly because the media's framed what happened on 1/6 as an organically conceived insurrection with at least part of the crowd motivated to assassinate congressmen (ostensibly with the melee weapon they'd picked up outside) and overthrow the government. They're holding Republicans so wholly morally responsible for 1/6 that the Republicans showing any pushback against that framing can be characterized as showing support for (and perhaps involvement with) the insurrectionists, while the Democrats try to figure out how to do a 1/6 commission that'll satisfy their voters, knowing the Republicans are going to fight them every step of the way.

Long story short, it's natural to feel the way you're feeling; since Milley's comments have been plastered all over the news, the most natural way to contextualize 1/6 is by seeing it as part of the run-up to Nazi Germany.

You're putting too much of what I feel on current day events. Just in this tiny little bit of the world we've watched the freaks like us on the right side disappear and despite what they say its because they know it's dog eat dog and intelligent conversation is out the window. It's all reactionary and they couldn't come up with intelligent responses to what Trump was doing. The smartest among them argued that they have to move beyond the stink of Trump like that's a thing that is possible.

Milleys comments don't really influence my opinion very much, the good folks in my real world everyday experience and their willful ignorance that everything is gonna work itself out along with their silence on other issues is where I formed my opinion.

Two once in a generation recessions, a once in a generation pandemic, to go along with a rise in populism and nationalism, once in a generation racial protests that reached from coast to coast, and a little megalomaniac leader along with a minor seizing of the capitol of the worlds largest military power to go along with the divisive power of social media being thrown in which can't be accounted for historically speaking......

I'm leaving out a ton to be honest......Milleys comments were just tinder on a fire that's already taken out the first few floors.

You're so stuck on what Democrats are doing with 1/6......I'm just looking at all this from a historical perspective and recognizing that a lot of the ingredients are there along with a few new ones that we can't possibly quantify right now.

But tell me again how my feelings can be boiled down to what the media is doing. Boil them down to that simple uninformed and just reactionary position again.

52 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

You're putting too much of what I feel on current day events. Just in this tiny little bit of the world we've watched the freaks like us on the right side disappear and despite what they say its because they know it's dog eat dog and intelligent conversation is out the window. It's all reactionary and they couldn't come up with intelligent responses to what Trump was doing. The smartest among them argued that they have to move beyond the stink of Trump like that's a thing that is possible.

Milleys comments don't really influence my opinion very much, the good folks in my real world everyday experience and their willful ignorance that everything is gonna work itself out along with their silence on other issues is where I formed my opinion.

Two once in a generation recessions, a once in a generation pandemic, to go along with a rise in populism and nationalism, once in a generation racial protests that reached from coast to coast, and a little megalomaniac leader along with a minor seizing of the capitol of the worlds largest military power to go along with the divisive power of social media being thrown in which can't be accounted for historically speaking......

I'm leaving out a ton to be honest......Milleys comments were just tinder on a fire that's already taken out the first few floors.

You're so stuck on what Democrats are doing with 1/6......I'm just looking at all this from a historical perspective and recognizing that a lot of the ingredients are there along with a few new ones that we can't possibly quantify right now.

But tell me again how my feelings can be boiled down to what the media is doing. Boil them down to that simple uninformed and just reactionary position again.

I didn't say your feelings could be boiled down to that exclusively; I said the media's choosing to overuse Hitler and Nazi Germany comparisons when contextualizing Trump's behavior around 1/6, just like they've done for years with Trump, and it's creating the expectation that the Democrats are the ones that are supposed to be saving us from pure evil right now, when they're still in the process of just trying to figure out how to do a 1/6 commission with the Republicans fighting them every step of the way. 

Despite massive Voter Fraud and Irregularities during the 2020 Presidential Election Scam, that we are now seeing play out in very big and important States, I never threatened, or spoke about, to anyone, a coup of our Government. So ridiculous! Sorry to inform you, but an Election is my form of "coup," and if I was going to do a coup, one of the last people I would want to do it with is General Mark Milley. He got his job only because the world’s most overrated general, James Mattis, could not stand him, had no respect for him, and would not recommend him. To me the fact that Mattis didn’t like him, just like Obama didn’t like him and actually fired Milley, was a good thing, not a bad thing. I often act counter to people's advice who I don’t respect.

FTR, that is not brain worms; it works too well as dril humor. "I never threatened, or spoke about, to anyone, a coup of our Government. So ridiculous!" That is something you say if you want people to think you were actually involved in attempting to overthrow the government. And that's before he even gets to the part where he used that line from O.J. to deny that he had done a coup. It's funny that Trump would say something like that, because Trump ostensibly doesn't intellectually understand what he's implying about himself by borrowing that particular line from that particular individual. 

It's not just a problem for me if the media chooses not to explain even the possibility that Trump himself understands how people will read this. If they just report it at face value next to comments about how it compares to historical events right before the birth of Nazi Germany, liberals will inevitably get wrapped up in another conspiracy theory about Trump, and they'll be counting on the Democrats to validate their conspiracy theory. That's probably not gonna go well.

5 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Once again Glenn is spot on.

It's also authoritarianism when people get mad at me for posting about bad things that are likely to happen in the future.

2 minutes ago, Serge said:

It's also authoritarianism when people get mad at me for posting about bad things that are likely to happen in the future.

They've been jumping on you and your Trump/Dems conspiracy theories lately, some of which I agree actually. Love to help you out bud, but I'm knee deep in some financial dealings/building project, and I'm at limited posting capability for now.

1 hour ago, Baby Dik Dik said:

^^^Former comedy writer

Ahh, yes, Eric Swalwell who is also famously under a very public federal investigation for sex trafficking of minors with other powerful republican politicians . . . ::checks headset:: wait a second, being told now,

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread