The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Huh…

Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said former President Donald Trump's effort to overturn the 2020 election results put him in the same camp as Nazi leader Adolf Hitler, according to a new book by two Washington Post reporters, Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker. 

Milley said Trump spread "the gospel of the Führer" via his lies about the 2020 election, and compared the former president's supporters to "Brownshirts in the streets," according quotes attributed to the general in an excerpt of the book, "I Alone Can Fix It," which was first reported on by New York Magazine on Wednesday… 

The US Army general was concerned that Trump was deliberately provoking unrest in order to potentially find an excuse to invoke the Insurrection Act and deploy the military domestically, Leonnig and Rucker wrote.

Milley, who was appointed by Trump as chairman of the Joint Chiefs in 2018, was told by an old friend not long after Election Day that the president and his allies were planning to "overturn the government." The top US general reportedly told aides that he thought this was unlikely to succeed.

“They may try, but they're not going to f---ing succeed," Milley said, per the book. "You can't do this without the military. You can't do this without the CIA and the FBI. We're the guys with guns."

Not long before the fatal insurrection at the US Capitol on January 6, Milley said Trump was pushing the US toward the verge of having its own "Reichstag moment," the book said.

A week after the January 6 riot, Milley excoriated the pro-Trump insurrectionists, according to the book. "These guys are Nazis, they're boogaloo boys, they're Proud Boys. These are the same people we fought in World War II," he reportedly said.

7 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Huh…

Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said former President Donald Trump's effort to overturn the 2020 election results put him in the same camp as Nazi leader Adolf Hitler, according to a new book by two Washington Post reporters, Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker. 

Milley said Trump spread "the gospel of the Führer" via his lies about the 2020 election, and compared the former president's supporters to "Brownshirts in the streets," according quotes attributed to the general in an excerpt of the book, "I Alone Can Fix It," which was first reported on by New York Magazine on Wednesday… 

The US Army general was concerned that Trump was deliberately provoking unrest in order to potentially find an excuse to invoke the Insurrection Act and deploy the military domestically, Leonnig and Rucker wrote.

Milley, who was appointed by Trump as chairman of the Joint Chiefs in 2018, was told by an old friend not long after Election Day that the president and his allies were planning to "overturn the government." The top US general reportedly told aides that he thought this was unlikely to succeed.

“They may try, but they're not going to f---ing succeed," Milley said, per the book. "You can't do this without the military. You can't do this without the CIA and the FBI. We're the guys with guns."

Not long before the fatal insurrection at the US Capitol on January 6, Milley said Trump was pushing the US toward the verge of having its own "Reichstag moment," the book said.

A week after the January 6 riot, Milley excoriated the pro-Trump insurrectionists, according to the book. "These guys are Nazis, they're boogaloo boys, they're Proud Boys. These are the same people we fought in World War II," he reportedly said.

Trump was an authoritarian and wannabe fascist, but he never ordered the extermination of six million Jewish people, not to mention several million more homosexuals, mentally disabled, and Gypsies.

But of course people on all sides will continue to make irresponsible and offensive comparison of the other college football team to Hitler and Nazis. 

Tucker, MTG, and Glem will have a field day with this. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Trump was an authoritarian and wannabe fascist, but he never ordered the extermination of six million Jewish people, not to mention several million more homosexuals, mentally disabled, and Gypsies.

But of course people on all sides will continue to make irresponsible and offensive comparison of the other college football team to Hitler and Nazis. 

I don't  think he ever called Trump  Hitler and he only referred to certain moments mirroring what happened before Hitler took power. A decent portion of the folks he actually called Nazis identify as Neo Nazis.

I think we have all had this "Ahh so this is how all the good people in Germany just followed along before it turned really bad" moment over the last several years.

This weird thing where we've studied/watched when a fascist took over and good people followed along until it was too late and yet we can't refer to that because that's automatically equating the two is a weird thing.

Also I don't give a **** what the people who constantly say "OMG everyone is a nazi" have to say about this.

The commander of the worlds largest military threatened to deploy it on his own people, tried to undermine an election, invited people to the capitol who eventually overtook it violently while yelling America first and spent four years hating on "outsiders".

You can refer to a reichstag moment and him mirroring a nationalist populist movement that Hitler rode to power without directly equating him to Hitlers atrocities. You can also call the folks who call themselves nazis ,with the tats to match, Nazis.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/30/how-american-racism-influenced-hitler/amp

Hitler modeled a lot of Nazism after the USA. Hitler and the USA are tied together.......we are literally the only country he praised for dividing the races and keeping some races from reaching full citizenship in Mein Kampf. He even bragged on us wiping out the Indians.

You can absolutely reference how Hitler came to power, how America influenced it, and how we are the most likely place where it can happen again in good faith.

A dude doesn't get to be Joint Chief of Staff without having a deep understanding of History. 

1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Huh…

Seriously, I sometimes wonder if I want to wake up when I go to bed some nights. Line after line has been crossed and nobody cares, meaning it's only a matter of time before it's no longer a line. How in **** is it possible that a third of the country no longer gives a **** about the preservation of our democracy? And how is that third of people able to impede governance? Our version of democracy was always doomed to fail, I guess.

22 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Just a neck in search of a guillotine. I wonder what the endgame these private equity leeches are expecting. I guess the Gilded Age isn't enough for them, they want a full on feudal system.

Glad our garbage liberal corporate media is willing to do their bidding and condition the masses. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Glad our garbage liberal corporate media is willing to do their bidding and condition the masses. 

They will be there to assure you that it's the fault of the other peasants in adjoining feifdoms and the lords really have no control over it. 

I just pulled into work and saw a cop car. The temperature check guy said they caught some people breaking into cars and I just had a silly random thought. 

This whole door to door vaccine push is a tad dangerous. I'm willing to bet there's going to be a lot of impersonating jabronis that try to rob people. It's going to hit the news and the actual members are going to end up getting hurt. I wonder how much thought went into this? Realistically speaking, if a person wasn't getting it before, this isn't going to change their minds 

10 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I'm just glad we get to keep speculating about things Trump said or did or might have thought about doing behind closed doors. There were a couple months there when it seemed like the media was going to give up on that genre, but fortunately there's been plenty of nonfiction to get the conspiracy theories churning once again.

10 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

10 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

I don't  think he ever called Trump  Hitler and he only referred to certain moments mirroring what happened before Hitler took power. A decent portion of the folks he actually called Nazis identify as Neo Nazis.

I think we have all had this "Ahh so this is how all the good people in Germany just followed along before it turned really bad" moment over the last several years.

This weird thing where we've studied/watched when a fascist took over and good people followed along until it was too late and yet we can't refer to that because that's automatically equating the two is a weird thing.

Also I don't give a **** what the people who constantly say "OMG everyone is a nazi" have to say about this.

I’ve always been uncomfortable with comparisons to Nazi’s and think we should be more careful in the language we use.  I also don’t think we have to shy away from calling someone a Nazi if they are, in fact, a Nazi.  But I don’t think that applies to Trump, not just because he hasn’t tried to murder millions of people but also because I don’t think he actually believes in the principles of Nazism.  And some of the people who support him and stormed the Capitol are absolutely Nazi’s — they embrace that ideology themselves.  

Milley was obviously being hyperbolic and he was disturbed by the obvious danger that Trump was posing to the US.  But I think that it was a bad comparison.  Even calling Trump a fascist is shaky for me, although “fascism” has such a wide range of meanings even among academics that it’s a hard concept to nail down.  

The Nazi reference aside, though, I do wish more people would realize just how dangerous Trump and his lies have been.  The fact that we had a serious attempt by Trump and his supporters in the GOP to overturn an election and install him as an authoritarian ruler and the entire country isn’t in a “holy s*** that can never happen again” mentality is shocking.  Too many people are just shrugging the whole thing off and acting like it’s just normal politics instead of recognizing that we’re facing a very serious threat from authoritarianism, as @Southern California Liar said.  

And I don’t think it’s all about semantics either.  I might sound like a broken record about the book “How Democracies Die”, but I think the two authors have come as close as anyone to explaining how serious the danger of authoritarianism is in this country and comparing what Trump’s been doing the past several years with how other authoritarian rulers came to power around the world.  The thing that distinguishes the modern era from the past is that most upstart authoritarians are more of the “strong man” type than dedicated to any kind of totalitarian ideology.  They might have policies to the left or the right, but they’re not trying to remake society into some kind of totalitarian state like Hitler, Mussolini, Mao, and so forth tried to do.  The new era of authoritarian rulers tend to be more motivated by wealth and power than promoting a specific ideology or totalitarian worldview.  And that’s why I think the “How Democracies Die” book is so important because that does closely parallel Trump and his attempts to undermine (and even overthrow) democracy in the US.  

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread