The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

"I am afraid that there is a certain class of race problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public. " 

- Booker T. Washington

55 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

"I am afraid that there is a certain class of race problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public. " 

- Booker T. Washington

Remember when you repeatedly advocated for welfare recipients to be indefinitely stripped of all voting rights? 

Part of why I really pushed mom yesterday to finally make an appointment to get her first shot was not only the car guy who just died from it (who was probably already in poor health from a life in the car business), but also saw from multiple people on facebook that a 51 year old woman who is a mutual friend of several folks we know is in the ICU on 100% ventilator with covid. She's married, two teenage sons.  Her oxygen was 40% when she went to the ER Sunday.  I got a haircut yesterday afternoon, apparently she and her boys go to the same salon that I do, my hairdresser said the older boy had come in and recently said that he got the vaccine without telling his mother because she is hardcore anti-(I assume just covid) vaxx.  And now she's in the ICU all alone with what seems like a terrible prognosis.

It's just so absolutely senseless and heartbreaking.

15 hours ago, lostone said:

America has peaked and is on the decline now.  9/11 was the turning point or the election of Nixon 

I blame Ted Turner and Al Gore.  Cable TV and the internet has given folks the opportunity to exclusively gather "news" that is consistent with their pre-existing World view.  Of course, it also provides the opportunity to manipulate those folks as well.  

20 minutes ago, Downvote Don said:

I blame Ted Turner and Al Gore.  Cable TV and the internet has given folks the opportunity to exclusively gather "news" that is consistent with their pre-existing World view.  Of course, it also provides the opportunity to manipulate those folks as well.  

The last few years especially have given us good reason to suspect we've reached the point no sentient life can get past and reach interstellar travel. Once a planet is using its resources at the capacity we are, unless the sentient beings are connected in some way that prevents them from pursuing personal gain at the expense of others, they'll inevitably destroy the planet (or at least make it uninhabitable) before they ever seriously pursue actual space travel. It's probably happened somewhere in the universe before, maybe many times.

2 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Remember when you repeatedly advocated for welfare recipients to be indefinitely stripped of all voting rights? 

I advocated the Bill Clinton plan, where he wanted to get people off generational welfare and he had temporary restrictions in place until he got them off welfare. 

We also know that the majority of welfare recipients are overwhelmingly poor white GOP voter's, so that pretty much defeats your angle on this, the voting community you're aiming at, and such.

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Part of why I really pushed mom yesterday to finally make an appointment to get her first shot was not only the car guy who just died from it (who was probably already in poor health from a life in the car business), but also saw from multiple people on facebook that a 51 year old woman who is a mutual friend of several folks we know is in the ICU on 100% ventilator with covid. She's married, two teenage sons.  Her oxygen was 40% when she went to the ER Sunday.  I got a haircut yesterday afternoon, apparently she and her boys go to the same salon that I do, my hairdresser said the older boy had come in and recently said that he got the vaccine without telling his mother because she is hardcore anti-(I assume just covid) vaxx.  And now she's in the ICU all alone with what seems like a terrible prognosis.

It's just so absolutely senseless and heartbreaking.

I'm just fortunate that even the MAGA members of my family value my medical expertise over what they watch on Fox News. My experiences in the ICU this past year made a bigger impression than Tucker's ramblings.

And now it seems that the GOP has gone full anti-vax, and not just covid. Looks like mumps and rubella are about to make a big comeback. 

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I'm just fortunate that even the MAGA members of my family value my medical expertise over what they watch on Fox News. My experiences in the ICU this past year made a bigger impression than Tucker's ramblings.

And now it seems that the GOP has gone full anti-vax, and not just covid. Looks like mumps and rubella are about to make a big comeback. 

I still can't believe my mega-MAGA step-FIL and MIL got the J&J, though they did not get my BIL that is the TBI-survivor the vaccine.

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Which begs a consideration to the completely bizarre status of so many in the MAGA world.  Time after time, we see complete proof that the Fox News end of the media spectrum is just lying their balls of to their viewers.  How can your family consider your expertise over Tucker's, etc, yet still continue to buy all of his other BS?

Can you even have a conversation with them about this?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

So this is Glem and Michael's new thing, Minnesota wasn't declared an insurrection by the media, so 1/6 can't be either. Ahh, look at good-faith actor Andy Ngo replying and getting 2L likes.

Surprised Glem hasn't gone full Ashli Babbit-truther yet.

Every time I see BLM referred to as an insurrectionist/terrorist/violent group, I think about my son, DownvoteDon, Jr, printing up and distributing 100 flyers with suggested readings on the history of racially targeted police brutality in America.  

15 minutes ago, Downvote Don said:

Which begs a consideration to the completely bizarre status of so many in the MAGA world.  Time after time, we see complete proof that the Fox News end of the media spectrum is just lying their balls of to their viewers.  How can your family consider your expertise over Tucker's, etc, yet still continue to buy all of his other BS?

Can you even have a conversation with them about this?

Because it's as much about spite against the "liberal establishment". At the end of the day, that's the primary function of cable news on both sides. They keep 50% of the population perpetually angry with the other 50% so neither side pays attention to what the people who actually own this country are doing. 

As long as the left pushes vaccines, the right will push back. Even at an enormous human toll. It literally doesn't matter to them. 

18 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

So this is Glem and Michael's new thing, Minnesota wasn't declared an insurrection by the media, so 1/6 can't be either. Ahh, look at good-faith actor Andy Ngo replying and getting 2L likes.

Surprised Glem hasn't gone full Ashli Babbit-truther yet.

I always thought that "putsch" was a more accurate word to describe 1/6.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread