The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

14 minutes ago, Big_Dog said:

@WhenFalconsWin    Got back from the trip and just saw where your man incoherently tried to speak at his Ohio thing a ma jig. Parts of his boring attempt to do what I don't know were actually pathetic. "The stars and stripes on the plant. The first to walk there . . . . you know who "   . . JFC 

It got so bad that the minuscule gathering actually started leaving during his babbling. This moron is what I've always portrayed him as. Could part of it be that the Trump Organization is about to become nonexistent and he's in shock?   

I'm on an extended stay at the lake, gearing up for guest's and partying this weekend. Enjoy your family and friends, for this country's celebratory birth.

11 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Good news, I was apparently incredibly misinformed... I didn't end up putting the dog down. Apparently, surgery for the ACL is just the fast fix. If we can work through the pain for a bit and lower the activity level, she may be able to recover enough to let the ligament scar over and the knee to stabilize. 

I'm a little irritated that I had to schedule an appointment to put her down, go through the entire "let's try to get the car to the vet while driving a 6 speed while fighting tears while trying to reassure myself that I'm doing the right thing" ordeal just to get in and have the vet give me more info...

Also, Suns...

Great news, but lets just leave the six speed [manual] out of it, ok?

34 minutes ago, Big_Dog said:

@WhenFalconsWin    Got back from the trip and just saw where your man incoherently tried to speak at his Ohio thing a ma jig. Parts of his boring attempt to do what I don't know were actually pathetic. "The stars and stripes on the plant. The first to walk there . . . . you know who "   . . JFC 

It got so bad that the minuscule gathering actually started leaving during his babbling. This moron is what I've always portrayed him as. Could part of it be that the Trump Organization is about to become nonexistent and he's in shock?   

Biden's Constant Debate Laughter Was Either Delightful or Totally  Disrespectful

17 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I'm on an extended stay at the lake, gearing up for guest's and partying this weekend. Enjoy your family and friends, for this country's celebratory birth.

You and Trump both are on extended stays.

35 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Threatening to murder the Speaker of the House and proposing public executions of the opposing party?  We’ll welcome you into the party and give you plum committee assignments, and then refuse to take them away even after your violent threats become public.

Want to investigate an insurrection where five people died in the Capitol, the people involved attempted to kidnap and murder the Vice President and members of Congress, and attempted to literally overthrow the Constitution and install an authoritarian regime?  RAWR, no way you’ll lose your committee seats for that!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/07/01/politics-live-updates/#link-3ZMLIODERBDC5ACKTF7L25OLRI

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is threatening his members that if they accept an offer from Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to sit on a new select committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, he will remove them from their other committee assignments.

McCarthy warned freshmen GOP members on Wednesday night and has been relaying the message to Republican members on and off the floor, according to two House Republican aides, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

36 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Threatening to murder the Speaker of the House and proposing public executions of the opposing party?  We’ll welcome you into the party and give you plum committee assignments, and then refuse to take them away even after your violent threats become public.

Want to investigate an insurrection where five people died in the Capitol, the people involved attempted to kidnap and murder the Vice President and members of Congress, and attempted to literally overthrow the Constitution and install an authoritarian regime?  RAWR, no way you’ll lose your committee seats for that!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/07/01/politics-live-updates/#link-3ZMLIODERBDC5ACKTF7L25OLRI

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is threatening his members that if they accept an offer from Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to sit on a new select committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, he will remove them from their other committee assignments.

McCarthy warned freshmen GOP members on Wednesday night and has been relaying the message to Republican members on and off the floor, according to two House Republican aides, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

But a contrast can be made between how the GOP keeps their party in line and how the Dems let their entire agenda hang at the mercy of Manchin and Sinema. 

The GOP is way better at this game. Even when in the minority. 

43 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

^^^Pelosi just announced that Liz Cheney will serve on the committee.  Gonna be interesting to see if the GOP takes away her other committee assignments.

10 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

But a contrast can be made between how the GOP keeps their party in line and how the Dems let their entire agenda hang at the mercy of Manchin and Sinema. 

The GOP is way better at this game. Even when in the minority. 

I don’t think there’s much of anything Dems can do about Manchin/Sinema that would be effective, and I don’t think that I’d support something like threatening to take away committee assignments over procedural differences.  (And I’ve been one of the most anti-filibuster people on the boards for a decade or more.)  Taking away committee assignments should be for very egregious behavior like MTG’s calls for executing and murdering those on the other side.  That deserves very serious sanctions.  Upholding the filibuster, as infuriating as it is to me, doesn’t call for that kind of sanction.

But what this shows is that the GOP’s vote to keep MTG on the committees wasn’t some noble principle about the majority determining the minority party’s committees.  There wasn’t some grand principle involved.  

The GOP welcomes and defends MTG.  They won’t do anything to sanction her.  But they will threaten and sanction people who agree to investigate an actual insurrection, literally an attempt to overthrow the government of the United States.  

GOP priorities on full display.

Also, it’s smart of Pelosi to name Cheney to the committee because it guarantees that it will be bipartisan.  McCarthy is basically hinting that he won’t appoint any Republican to the committee at all, which would have make it look like a Dem-only thing.  He can’t do that now that Cheney is on the committee.  

21 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Your TDS knows no bounds. Worry about the guy you have in office now, Trump is old news. 

Old news Trump:  1.9 Trillion in tax cuts for ultra rich    :doh:

New guy now:  1.9 Trillion for everyday Americans   :golfclap:

I'll take that any day over the loser.    :slick:

16 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Also, it’s smart of Pelosi to name Cheney to the committee because it guarantees that it will be bipartisan.  McCarthy is basically hinting that he won’t appoint any Republican to the committee at all, which would have make it look like a Dem-only thing.  He can’t do that now that Cheney is on the committee.  

Twelve Democrats and Liz Cheney = /

Just now, Serge said:

Twelve Democrats and Liz Cheney = /

Seven Dems + Cheney + 5 Reps if they select people for it. 

So it could be 7-6 if McCarthy selects people for the committee.  

It could have been completely bipartisan with the GOP having a veto on all subpoenas, but there weren’t 10 Senate Reps willing to do that so here we are.

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Seven Dems + Cheney + 5 Reps if they select people for it. 

So it could be 7-6 if McCarthy selects people for the committee.  

It could have been completely bipartisan with the GOP having a veto on all subpoenas, but there weren’t 10 Senate Reps willing to do that so here we are.

It's better strategy for the Republicans to just obstruct every step of the way on a 1/6 commission and force the Democrats to prove their own investigation was necessary. 

29 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I don’t think there’s much of anything Dems can do about Manchin/Sinema that would be effective, and I don’t think that I’d support something like threatening to take away committee assignments over procedural differences.  (And I’ve been one of the most anti-filibuster people on the boards for a decade or more.)  Taking away committee assignments should be for very egregious behavior like MTG’s calls for executing and murdering those on the other side.  That deserves very serious sanctions.  Upholding the filibuster, as infuriating as it is to me, doesn’t call for that kind of sanction.

But what this shows is that the GOP’s vote to keep MTG on the committees wasn’t some noble principle about the majority determining the minority party’s committees.  There wasn’t some grand principle involved.  

The GOP welcomes and defends MTG.  They won’t do anything to sanction her.  But they will threaten and sanction people who agree to investigate an actual insurrection, literally an attempt to overthrow the government of the United States.  

GOP priorities on full display.

If the situations were reversed, I find it hard to envision the GOP allowing a couple of moderates to hold up their entire agenda. Maybe I'm wrong.

Waiting to go back to Jim Crow laws is pretty exciting.  My parents got to see the end of this crap and before they die get to see it reinstated by the supposed republicans that was once for civil right.  

I guess you will do anything to not have your children one day become the minority in this country huh

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread