Jump to content

The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Well, we all knew where this was going. It was never about actual CRT that's only taught in select places at a grad level. It's about anything that makes white conservatives uncomfortable. 

They have already whitewashed science, so why not history as well. 

 

Just for clarification, CRT is also taught at the undergraduate level in many places.  One of the major California schools has an entire undergrad program on critical studies and includes a class on CRT, for example.  But it’s definitely not taught K-12.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I mean, if you find the terms "equity, diversity, and inclusion" threatening, then maybe you need to take a look at yourself. 

The world is literally on fire, the middle and lower classes can’t earn living wages while corporate and billionaires profits continue to skyrocket, but we have to make sure white folks don’t get uncomfortable. 

Also democrats can’t do anything despite controlling the White House and congress cause they have to work with republicans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

The world is literally on fire, the middle and lower classes can’t earn living wages while corporate and billionaires profits continue to skyrocket, but we have to make sure white folks don’t get uncomfortable. 

Also democrats can’t do anything despite controlling the White House and congress cause they have to work with republicans. 

And now we have the Trumpanzees believing the conspiracy theory that he's going to be "reinstated" in August and if that doesn't happen they are threatening violence against the state.

Trump and the Republican Party are fascist and dangerous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

The world is literally on fire, the middle and lower classes can’t earn living wages while corporate and billionaires profits continue to skyrocket, but we have to make sure white folks don’t get uncomfortable. 

Also democrats can’t do anything despite controlling the White House and congress cause they have to work with republicans. 

That's why there's a new culture war every week and the corporate media works so hard to keep us divided. 

Both political parties and the media are owned by the same oligarchs. And they have learned that as long as they keep half the country angry with the other half, they can do whatever they want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

 

In related news…

The House on Tuesday passed legislation to remove statues of Confederate leaders from the U.S. Capitol and replace the bust of Roger B. Taney, the chief justice who wrote the 1857 Supreme Court decision that said people of African descent are not U.S. citizens.

The vote was 285 to 120, with 67 Republicans joining Democrats in backing the measure. A similar bill passed the House last year on a 305-to-113 vote but did not advance in the Senate, then controlled by Republicans.

^^^The majority of Republicans voted against it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Point of that last post being that people will defend keeping statues that honor some of the darkest chapters in our history while preventing schools from discussing those very same dark chapters.  IOW, let’s keep a bust that honors the SCOTUS justice who wrote the Dred Scott decision, but let’s ban schools from discussing the very real and lasting effects of that very decision.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Manhattan district attorney’s office is expected to charge the Trump Organization and its chief financial officer with tax-related crimes on Thursday, people familiar with the matter said, which would mark the first criminal charges against the former president’s company since prosecutors began investigating it three years ago.

The charges against the Trump Organization and Allen Weisselberg, the company’s longtime chief financial officer, are a blow to former President Donald Trump, who has fended off multiple criminal and civil probes during and after his presidency. Mr. Trump himself isn’t expected to be charged, his lawyer said. Mr. Weisselberg has rejected prosecutors’ attempts at gaining his cooperation, according to people familiar with the matter.

The defendants are expected to appear in court on Thursday afternoon, the people said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Statick said:

And now we have the Trumpanzees believing the conspiracy theory that he's going to be "reinstated" in August and if that doesn't happen they are threatening violence against the state.

Trump and the Republican Party are fascist and dangerous.

Blanket statements are stereotypical and dangerous. 

I mean I could say why do Dems hate poor people? Reason being, gas prices this upcoming holiday week will be at a 7-year high.

This affects the poorer population who may have traveled this upcoming week but are now hesitant with record high prices. Along with the higher gas prices, goes all commodity prices etc. Then one could say, why do Dems hate poor people?  Since this is not a rich person's problem, but a poor person's problem, when prices go up as inflation goes up.

It doesn't lead me to say the Dems are fascists and dangerous though, I just think policies are poor and misguided for the most part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Point of that last post being that people will defend keeping statues that honor some of the darkest chapters in our history while preventing schools from discussing those very same dark chapters.  IOW, let’s keep a bust that honors the SCOTUS justice who wrote the Dred Scott decision, but let’s ban schools from discussing the very real and lasting effects of that very decision.  

Think about it, though…

On statues that were built to literally honor the people who fought for and/or promoted racism — “That’s history and you’re tearing down our history and you don’t want people to know about our history!”

On teaching that very history in schools — “We can’t have that and we’re going to criminalize teaching about our history!”

It’s just so…I’m not even sure how to describe it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Think about it, though…

On statues that were built to literally honor the people who fought and/or promoted racism — “That’s history and you’re tearing down our history and you don’t want people to know about our history!”

On teaching that very history in schools — “We can’t have that and we’re going to criminalize teaching about our history!”

It’s just so…I’m not even sure how to describe it.

There's nothing to think about.  There isn't a single thing in the universe that the GOP isn't willing to be complete hypocrites about. The sooner democrats learn that's the game, the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Blanket statements are stereotypical and dangerous. 

I mean I could say why do Dems hate poor people? Reason being, gas prices this upcoming holiday week will be at a 7-year high.

This affects the poorer population who may have traveled this upcoming week but are now hesitant with record high prices. Along with the higher gas prices, goes all commodity prices etc. Then one could say, why do Dems hate poor people?  Since this is not a rich person's problem, but a poor person's problem, when prices go up as inflation goes up.

It doesn't lead me to say the Dems are fascists and dangerous though, I just think policies are poor and misguided for the most part.

Blaming inflation strictly on Dems is a reach. Just like blaming high gas prices on any president is ludicrous. 
 

but you have to acknowledge republicans have been acting very fascist lately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...