The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

57 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

The problem is , atleast to my knowledge no one had stepped up to challenge her on the democrats side. @Optimus_Cr1m35 have you seen any ads or anything yet regarding a primary Challenger?

So far the only ads that I have seen have actually been in support of her keeping the filibuster and those were paid by Republicans.

No, she's just starting her term, so I don't think we'll see any for a bit.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

"AFP-AZ also announced a major campaign consisting of a six-figure ad and radio spend by AFP urging select senators, including Senator Kyrsten Sinema, to oppose efforts to eliminate the filibuster, as well as extensive grassroots engagement that include a nationwide event tour hosted by AFP. The ads lead to a webpage that allows Arizonans to directly contact lawmakers and learn more.

Click here to view the event.

Click here to view an example ad.

AFP-AZ State Director Stephen Shadegg issued the following statement:

“Eliminating the filibuster would usher in even more extreme partisanship, resulting in an endless cycle of radical policies getting pushed through the Senate. Sen. Sinema has been principled in opposing attempts to end the filibuster to pass a partisan wish list. We are working to educate Arizonans on the devastating consequences they would face if Sen. Sinema goes back on her word. From a government takeover of health care to packing the Supreme Court, opening a Pandora’s box of sweeping structural changes is a power grab that will only lead to more dysfunction in Washington. We urge Senator Sinema to stand up for Arizonans and ensure we don’t have partisanship on steroids.”

https://americansforprosperity.org/icymi-afp-az-hosts-forum-on-filibuster/

"Instead, to understand what happened in Wisconsin – and what is happening in states across the country – we need to look to the underappreciated organization that is at the center of the political network created and directed by the billionaire conservative industrialists, Charles and David Koch.

David Koch speaks at a summit hosted by Americans for Prosperity in Columbus, Ohio. Photograph: Paul Vernon/AP

We are a group of Columbia and Harvard-based researchers who for the past five years have been investigating precisely how the Koch brothers work to influence US politics and the role played by AFP. In recent years, AFP has quietly pushed behind the scenes for many of the most important conservative victories across the nation, including the anti-union bills that passed in former union strongholds such as Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio.

AFP’s laser-like focus on anti-union legislation is in part driven by the Kochs’ libertarian embrace of free markets and limited government."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/26/koch-brothers-americans-for-prosperity-rightwing-political-group

When did this happen?  Sometime after 2014, when she spurned Koch donations: https://www.azcentral.com/story/dougmaceachern/2014/10/08/democrats-candidates-koch-barber-kirkpatrick/16923455/

With the notable exception of the Kyrsten Sinema re-election campaign, the campaigns supporting nearly every major Democratic candidate for office in Arizona solicits contributions by evoking the wicked "billionaire Koch brothers."

And it's not just the Koch brother who hasn't gone to HeIl yet, it's also the US Chamber of Commerce:

"The U.S. Chamber of Commerce said it is backing Democratic Senators Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema with campaign contributions as a reward for their opposition to some of President Joe Biden's legislative initiatives and for trying to work with Republicans.

In disclosures made public on Thursday, the Chamber said its political action committee during the first quarter made about $17,000 worth of contributions to the two senators and nine members of the House of Representatives." https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-chamber-backs-manchin-sinema-with-campaign-contributions-2021-04-15/

I’m not sure if campaign donations are enough to cause Sinema to risk her seat.  Maybe she’s thinking this will all blow over by 2024 or that she’ll keep enough Republicans to win anyway.  Or maybe she’s been promised a job if she loses.  :shrug: 

Alexander Hamilton on super majority requirements in Congress…

But this is not all: what at first sight may seem a remedy, is, in reality, a poison. To give a minority a negative upon the majority (which is always the case where more than a majority is requisite to a decision), is, in its tendency, to subject the sense of the greater number to that of the lesser. Congress, from the nonattendance of a few States, have been frequently in the situation of a Polish diet, where a single VOTE has been sufficient to put a stop to all their movements. A sixtieth part of the Union, which is about the proportion of Delaware and Rhode Island, has several times been able to oppose an entire bar to its operations. This is one of those refinements which, in practice, has an effect the reverse of what is expected from it in theory. The necessity of unanimity in public bodies, or of something approaching towards it, has been founded upon a supposition that it would contribute to security. But its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of the government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent, or corrupt junto, to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority. In those emergencies of a nation, in which the goodness or badness, the weakness or strength of its government, is of the greatest importance, there is commonly a necessity for action. The public business must, in some way or other, go forward. If a pertinacious minority can control the opinion of a majority, respecting the best mode of conducting it, the majority, in order that something may be done, must conform to the views of the minority; and thus the sense of the smaller number will overrule that of the greater, and give a tone to the national proceedings. Hence, tedious delays; continual negotiation and intrigue; contemptible compromises of the public good. And yet, in such a system, it is even happy when such compromises can take place: for upon some occasions things will not admit of accommodation; and then the measures of government must be injuriously suspended, or fatally defeated. It is often, by the impracticability of obtaining the concurrence of the necessary number of votes, kept in a state of inaction. Its situation must always savor of weakness, sometimes border upon anarchy.

1 minute ago, Statick said:

And as just like from the end of the Civil War, these Stephin Fetchit types will do and say anything for money in order to do their best buck-dancing for massa.

Pathetically sad.

He and Owens have referred to each other as siblings, but no one is really sure if they're joking or not.  Regardless, he's clearly a conservative Youtube personality out for the grift.

4 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

@WOR @The Monarch @GEORGIAfan @AF89 let's talk X's and O's for the Bucks series.  Sporting books have them heavily favored, not surprising.  I know they don't play straight man, but generally who do we think will guard who?  I've gone back and watched some clips from earlier matchups this season. Do we try Huerter or Collins on Giannis?  Still need someone lengthy and athletic to guard Middleton. 

Me *personally* I'd play Giannis straight up. I think must of our guys have plus foot speed to deal with him. That's about all you can do. Keep him in front and hope you get enough charge calls lol.

We will see if Reddish comes back. Still hasn't done 5 on 5 practices last I've heard. Id feel more comfortable with him on Middleton than KD. His length might actually mess with Kris.

Probs just slap Kevin on Jrue. Bogi or Trae between Forbes. 

My main thing will be size on Lopez. Woulda really been nice to have Hunter, Collins, and capela to deal with Giannis/Lopez size. Fear He's just gonna be jacking **** all over Trae, Bogi, and Kevin. 

4 hours ago, The Monarch said:

They are likely to put Giannis on JC, which means JC will get a bunch of open looks from 3 as Giannis tries to help inside. JC has to hit some of those corner 3s.

Oh bud, please do this lol

3 hours ago, The Monarch said:

Also, OO came up big in the last series, and I would not be surprised to see him used on either Giannis or Lopez, to try and take advantage of his athleticism and excellent footwork.

Yeah per my original post, I do wonder if they go Capela/Collins/Gallo a good bit as well as more OO. 

Capela/Collins can deal with Giannis and Middleton(with a dash of huerter) while Gallo can just lock onto Lopez all series. 

3 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

He also shot  over 70% from the FT line in college, which is suppose to be an indicator that a player can learn to become a shooter. Just gotta give him some time. Collins was also a college player not known for shooting, but shot over 70% and look how he has turned out.  

Yeah I'll be amazed if OO isn't at least an average big man shooter. Just gonna take some time. 

14 minutes ago, WOR said:

Shoulda just read Monarchs post before immediately responding to the mention and working my way backwards lol

lol i get an itchy trigger finger. I'll click the multiquote thingy thinking I'll read through everything first, but half the time I'm like 10 pages behind and just give up after a couple pages

In my totally awesome and uneducated but I am going to give it anyway opinion...I think the Hawks should play Giannis much like the nets did and how the Hawks handled Embid.....let him tire himself out.

He got his but dude looked like he was going to pass out in the 4th quarter every game by the end of the nets series.

45 minutes ago, WOR said:

Shoulda just read Monarchs post before immediately responding to the mention and working my way backwards lol

26 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

lol i get an itchy trigger finger. I'll click the multiquote thingy thinking I'll read through everything first, but half the time I'm like 10 pages behind and just give up after a couple pages

kZhNqW.gif

Title is very misleading its actually a long video essay on the cyberpunk medium (Bladerunner, Neon Leviathan, Nueromancer, Altered Carbon etc some stuff on capitalism) but its strong 

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread