Jump to content

The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

It's a good point, the Bucks are definitely not as highly ranked on defense, and while I saw PJ Tucker was praised for guarding his old friend Durant, KD still scored a lot.  I know you can't make every shot, but it seems like all the games we've lost in the post season had long stretches where literally no one could get anything to fall, 3's, floaters, lobs, etc . . .

Capela quietly played much better in games 6 and 7 against the 76ers, IMO. 

I still don't understand how we use Collins.  I know he had around 14 points in game 7, but he seemingly just floats at the wing the entire time. I know Capela is our big presence down low, but I want to see John down there banging more.

 

They are likely to put Giannis on JC, which means JC will get a bunch of open looks from 3 as Giannis tries to help inside. JC has to hit some of those corner 3s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Also, OO came up big in the last series, and I would not be surprised to see him used on either Giannis or Lopez, to try and take advantage of his athleticism and excellent footwork.

Was pleasantly surprised by him after being skeptical all season. Looking forward to him continuing to develop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Also, OO came up big in the last series, and I would not be surprised to see him used on either Giannis or Lopez, to try and take advantage of his athleticism and excellent footwork.

 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Was pleasantly surprised by him after being skeptical all season. Looking forward to him continuing to develop. 

Agree, but for God's sake, do NOT let this man take any more mid range set shots.  He was massively rejected in the fourth quarter of game 7.  Might have been by Howard?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Downvote Don said:

 

Agree, but for God's sake, do NOT let this man take any more mid range set shots.  He was massively rejected in the fourth quarter of game 7.  Might have been by Howard?

**** it, let him get out there and keep building his confidence.  Doing this stuff in the playoffs is so much more meaningful mentally and emotionally than doing it in the regular season.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

**** it, let him get out there and keep building his confidence.  Doing this stuff in the playoffs is so much more meaningful mentally and emotionally than doing it in the regular season.

 

He also shot  over 70% from the FT line in college, which is suppose to be an indicator that a player can learn to become a shooter. Just gotta give him some time. Collins was also a college player not known for shooting, but shot over 70% and look how he has turned out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

lmao

 

Here is why I don't think she is acting in good faith:

"I will not support an action that damages our democracy because someone else did so previously or might do so in the future. I do not accept a new standard by which important legislation can only pass on party-line votes," she added. 

REPUBLICANS are taking actions that damage democracy with their various voter suppression bills.  The filibuster is actually UNDEMOCRATIC in that it lets the minority block the will of the majority.  SINEMA is in a position to take action to protect democracy, and in her refusal to act, is supporting actions that damage it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

lmao

 

^^^Perhaps the best summary of her argument in that op-ed.  And the idea that the majority party doesn’t get to govern or enact its agenda when it wins an election is the opposite of democracy.  So Sinema’s argument that she’s saving democracy by supporting the filibuster is completely backwards.  

As to her “what if the Republicans do this, this, or that when they win back the majority” stuff, yes that’s exactly what I want to happen.  The GOP should be able to enact its agenda if the voters choose them to govern and the voters can hold them accountable in the next election if they don’t like what the GOP is doing.  Again, that’s how democracy works.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

^^^Perhaps the best summary of her argument in that op-ed.  And the idea that the majority party doesn’t get to govern or enact its agenda when it wins an election is the opposite of democracy.  So Sinema’s argument that she’s saving democracy by supporting the filibuster is completely backwards.  

As to her “what if the Republicans do this, this, or that when they win back the majority” stuff, yes that’s exactly what I want to happen.  The GOP should be able to enact its agenda if the voters choose them to govern and the voters can hold them accountable in the next election if they don’t like what the GOP is doing.  Again, that’s how democracy works.  

Exactly WHAT does she think is going to happenif the Democrats DON'T end the fillibuster to protect votes?  Republicans will suppress Democratic votes, there will be Republican Majorities, and the FIRST thing they will do is eliminate the filibuster.  

BTW, why didn't they do just that before?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Downvote Don said:

Exactly WHAT does she think is going to happenif the Democrats DON'T end the fillibuster to protect votes?  Republicans will suppress Democratic votes, there will be Republican Majorities, and the FIRST thing they will do is eliminate the filibuster.  

BTW, why didn't they do just that before?

Republicans are certainly trying to manipulate the elections to their favor at the state level, but I am a little dubious about what kind of impact it’ll actually have.  It’ll have some effect, but I think a lot of people are overstating how much of an effect it’ll have in practice.  I think gerrymandering will probably have a bigger impact in the next cycle in the House, at least.  

The much bigger concern for me is what’s happening at the state level regarding election administration officials, people like Raffensburger having his authority taken away and given to the legislature and also facing primaries from Trump supporters.  Those officials were the only thing keeping the GOP from overthrowing the election and installing Trump as an authoritarian regime.  And Republicans are systematically moving to either restructure the power so Trump supporters can overturn the election next time and/or replacing officials who blocked the effort last year with hardcore Trump supporters.  

One of the reasons that the GOP probably didn’t eliminate the filibuster last time they were in the majority is because they didn’t need to.  Most of their highest priorities like tax cuts (or repealing Obamacare) go through the reconciliation process anyway, so they can pass that stuff with their majority in the Senate.  Other things that can’t go through reconciliation probably aren’t high on their list of priorities and/or aren’t very popular.  So they focus on fiscal policies and judicial appointments, neither of which are subject to filibusters.  Then there are a few items like justice reform where they can easily get enough Dems on board to break a filibuster.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Downvote Don said:

Exactly WHAT does she think is going to happenif the Democrats DON'T end the fillibuster to protect votes?  Republicans will suppress Democratic votes, there will be Republican Majorities, and the FIRST thing they will do is eliminate the filibuster.  

BTW, why didn't they do just that before?

She doesn’t want to give up that sweet Koch money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

^^^Perhaps the best summary of her argument in that op-ed.  And the idea that the majority party doesn’t get to govern or enact its agenda when it wins an election is the opposite of democracy.  So Sinema’s argument that she’s saving democracy by supporting the filibuster is completely backwards.  

As to her “what if the Republicans do this, this, or that when they win back the majority” stuff, yes that’s exactly what I want to happen.  The GOP should be able to enact its agenda if the voters choose them to govern and the voters can hold them accountable in the next election if they don’t like what the GOP is doing.  Again, that’s how democracy works.  

My thoughts exactly.

She has severally disappointed me  and I really really hope that she gets primaried but I am not sure that this will happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

My thoughts exactly.

She has severally disappointed me  and I really really hope that she gets primaried but I am not sure that this will happen.

Her approval ratings, especially among Democrats, aren’t very high.  I’m not sure she’s doing herself a lot of favors with these delusional and obviously flawed arguments regarding the filibuster.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Her approval ratings, especially among Democrats, aren’t very high.  I’m not sure she’s doing herself a lot of favors with these delusional and obviously flawed arguments regarding the filibuster.  

The problem is , atleast to my knowledge no one had stepped up to challenge her on the democrats side. @Optimus_Cr1m35 have you seen any ads or anything yet regarding a primary Challenger?

So far the only ads that I have seen have actually been in support of her keeping the filibuster and those were paid by Republicans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

The problem is , atleast to my knowledge no one had stepped up to challenge her on the democrats side. @Optimus_Cr1m35 have you seen any ads or anything yet regarding a primary Challenger?

So far the only ads that I have seen have actually been in support of her keeping the filibuster and those were paid by Republicans.

She’s not up for reelection until 2024, I believe, so it’s too early for a formal primary challenge.  We’ll probably know something more definitive by late 2023 or early 2024.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Why is it only democrats that are naive enough to think that there can be bi partisanship on big ticket items that will be a w win for them?.... especially with McConnell openly endorsing the idea that essentially anything that the Democrats want..... he won't vote for.

It’s amazing the level of delusion people can have.  I understand where Manchin is coming from — he represents a Trump state and has to win lots of Republican voters.  I don’t like it and on the filibuster I think he’s making a dangerous calculation, but at least I understand it.

I don’t get Sinema’s position whatsoever and I’m starting to give more credence to @Downvote Don’s idea that it’s not in good faith, though I have no idea what benefits she gets taking a position that’s so unpopular in her own state.  And if the GOP takes control of the Senate in 2022 (which looks unlikely at this point), can you imagine the outright rage and fury she’s going to face heading into her 2024 reelection?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

don’t get Sinema’s position whatsoever and I’m starting to give more credence to @Downvote Don’s idea that it’s not in good faith, though I have no idea what benefits she gets taking a position that’s so unpopular in her own state.  And if the GOP takes control of the Senate in 2022 (which looks unlikely at this point), can you imagine the outright rage and fury she’s going to face heading into her 2024 reelection?  

"AFP-AZ also announced a major campaign consisting of a six-figure ad and radio spend by AFP urging select senators, including Senator Kyrsten Sinema, to oppose efforts to eliminate the filibuster, as well as extensive grassroots engagement that include a nationwide event tour hosted by AFP. The ads lead to a webpage that allows Arizonans to directly contact lawmakers and learn more.

Click here to view the event.

Click here to view an example ad.

AFP-AZ State Director Stephen Shadegg issued the following statement:

“Eliminating the filibuster would usher in even more extreme partisanship, resulting in an endless cycle of radical policies getting pushed through the Senate. Sen. Sinema has been principled in opposing attempts to end the filibuster to pass a partisan wish list. We are working to educate Arizonans on the devastating consequences they would face if Sen. Sinema goes back on her word. From a government takeover of health care to packing the Supreme Court, opening a Pandora’s box of sweeping structural changes is a power grab that will only lead to more dysfunction in Washington. We urge Senator Sinema to stand up for Arizonans and ensure we don’t have partisanship on steroids.”

https://americansforprosperity.org/icymi-afp-az-hosts-forum-on-filibuster/

"Instead, to understand what happened in Wisconsin – and what is happening in states across the country – we need to look to the underappreciated organization that is at the center of the political network created and directed by the billionaire conservative industrialists, Charles and David Koch.

David Koch speaks at a summit hosted by Americans for Prosperity in Columbus, Ohio. Photograph: Paul Vernon/AP

We are a group of Columbia and Harvard-based researchers who for the past five years have been investigating precisely how the Koch brothers work to influence US politics and the role played by AFP. In recent years, AFP has quietly pushed behind the scenes for many of the most important conservative victories across the nation, including the anti-union bills that passed in former union strongholds such as Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio.

AFP’s laser-like focus on anti-union legislation is in part driven by the Kochs’ libertarian embrace of free markets and limited government."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/26/koch-brothers-americans-for-prosperity-rightwing-political-group

 

 

When did this happen?  Sometime after 2014, when she spurned Koch donations: https://www.azcentral.com/story/dougmaceachern/2014/10/08/democrats-candidates-koch-barber-kirkpatrick/16923455/

With the notable exception of the Kyrsten Sinema re-election campaign, the campaigns supporting nearly every major Democratic candidate for office in Arizona solicits contributions by evoking the wicked "billionaire Koch brothers."

 

And it's not just the Koch brother who hasn't gone to HeIl yet, it's also the US Chamber of Commerce:

"The U.S. Chamber of Commerce said it is backing Democratic Senators Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema with campaign contributions as a reward for their opposition to some of President Joe Biden's legislative initiatives and for trying to work with Republicans.

In disclosures made public on Thursday, the Chamber said its political action committee during the first quarter made about $17,000 worth of contributions to the two senators and nine members of the House of Representatives." https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-chamber-backs-manchin-sinema-with-campaign-contributions-2021-04-15/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, if people would put aside their short-term party interests and think about how the government is supposed to function, there’s a very strong conservative case in favor of eliminating the filibuster.  

One of the consequences of the filibuster is that it creates an incentive for growing executive power.  When the minority party can block the majority’s agenda, that creates enormous pressure on the president to address the problem in ways that bypass the dysfunctional Senate and an entrenched, polarized minority party that blocks everything.  So that increases pressure to use things like executive orders and other powers of the presidency.  The president can’t go up for reelection saying “well gosh, we tried to do these popular things but the other side just blocked us, but vote for us again.”  ( @Southern California Liar has made this point on the boards several times).  So like Obama did with DACA and some other things, you get patchwork governance via executive orders and recess appointments instead of a strong and functional legislature to guide policy-making.  

The filibuster is actually creating the very thing that a ton of conservatives wring their hands about — increasing executive power.  It’s just that everybody is so focused on their short-term partisan benefits to think big picture and long-term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...