The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

Tucker Carlson was behind a lot of negative Trump stories.  :lol:

The answer is one of Washington’s open secrets. Mr. Carlson, a proud traitor to the elite political class, spends his time when he’s not denouncing the liberal media trading gossip with them. He’s the go-to guy for sometimes-unflattering stories about Donald J. Trump and for coverage of the internal politics of Fox News (not to mention stories about Mr. Carlson himself). I won’t talk here about any off-the-record conversations I may have had with him. But 16 other journalists (none from The Times; it would put my colleagues in a weird position if I asked them) told me on background that he has been, as three of them put it, “a great source.”

“In Trump’s Washington, Tucker Carlson is a primary supersecret source,” the media writer and Trump chronicler Michael Wolff writes in his forthcoming collection of essays, “Too Famous.” Mr. Wolff, who thanked Mr. Carlson in the acknowledgments of his 2018 book, “Fire and Fury,” explained, “I know this because I know what he has told me, and I can track his exquisite, too-good-not-to-be-true gossip through unsourced reports and as it often emerges into accepted wisdom.”

Crypto market is definitely in bear mode but it's not going to last a real long time I don't think. The bear cycles are getting shorter and crypto proved very resilient through the worst of the pandemic. Now would be a good time to do your research and look at jumping in. Next bull run is going to go big, especially with the economy getting healthier. Some very big updates/upgrades will be hitting later this year that will drastically improve efficiency and scalability.

The Federal Reserve is also developing a digital dollar in collaboration with MIT, which will be hosted on a yet to be determined blockchain network (many expect Algorand, which is a blockchain platform developed by MIT professors, but this has not been announced yet).

2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I noticed Ben Simmons not being guarded at all like this plenty of times throughout the series lol

What about defensive 3 seconds?

Well, there is a presumably Josh Smith inspired exception to the general rule that the defender remain within arms length of his man:   If your man has the ball, you don’t have to do anything to discourage him from shooting.  You can back up to the rim and say “have at it, PLEASE!  I’ll just wait here for the rebound.”

5 hours ago, Negative-Nancy said:

What about defensive 3 seconds?

Well, there is a presumably Josh Smith inspired exception to the general rule that the defender remain within arms length of his man:   If your man has the ball, you don’t have to do anything to discourage him from shooting.  You can back up to the rim and say “have at it, PLEASE!  I’ll just wait here for the rebound.”

The defenders still moved around, mostly trying to double Embiid and cover the other shooters. Simmons made that easy to do because he's terrified to even attempt shoot the basketball.

Simmons should be embarrassed that teams don't respect him with the basketball in his hands now.

9 hours ago, Carter said:

Crypto market is definitely in bear mode but it's not going to last a real long time I don't think. The bear cycles are getting shorter and crypto proved very resilient through the worst of the pandemic. Now would be a good time to do your research and look at jumping in. Next bull run is going to go big, especially with the economy getting healthier. Some very big updates/upgrades will be hitting later this year that will drastically improve efficiency and scalability.

The Federal Reserve is also developing a digital dollar in collaboration with MIT, which will be hosted on a yet to be determined blockchain network (many expect Algorand, which is a blockchain platform developed by MIT professors, but this has not been announced yet).

They have to cover their GME shorts.

edit: also ChIna 

I want a 3070 or 3080 and I need this price to crash for it.  Crypto is keeping me from greatness!

@WOR @The Monarch @GEORGIAfan @AF89 let's talk X's and O's for the Bucks series.  Sporting books have them heavily favored, not surprising.  I know they don't play straight man, but generally who do we think will guard who?  I've gone back and watched some clips from earlier matchups this season. Do we try Huerter or Collins on Giannis?  Still need someone lengthy and athletic to guard Middleton. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

@WOR @The Monarch @GEORGIAfan @AF89 let's talk X's and O's for the Bucks series.  Sporting books have them heavily favored, not surprising.  I know they don't play straight man, but generally who do we think will guard who?  I've gone back and watched some clips from earlier matchups this season. Do we try Huerter or Collins on Giannis?  Still need someone lengthy and athletic to guard Middleton. 

Or better yet, who's going to guard us? The Bucks aren't ranked as high defensively as the Knicks or the Sixers so our 3pt FG percentage shouldn't suffer in this series. 

As far as the Giannis question, I'd play Collins on him.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Think they'll mix and match on Giannis. I imagine Cap will spend considerable time on him. Collins might have the quickness edge though and if Cap is on Giannis, then Collins has to contend with the much bigger Lopez, who has shown the ability to punish smaller defenders.  So maybe you let Collins take some Giannis and hope Cap can play off Lopez a bit to provide help D. But, Lopez likes to hang around deep and that would draw Cap away from the bucket, which is no good. It will likely be a team effort, with whoever is guarding Giannis sagging off to encourage him to launch and to try and take away an open lane to the bucket. Might also see a situation where they put Gallo on Lopez and try Collins on Middleton, though I'd be really worried that Kris will just abuse JC in the midrange.

More worried about Middleton and Jrue than Giannis, as the Greek Freak will probably eat either way. I think Bogi probably takes Middleton early, with Huerter trying to slow down Jrue. Hiding Trae on Tucker/Connaughton/Forbes as best as possible. Then maybe sliding Huerter to Middleton in certain situations to take advantage of his greater speed/length. Also likely to see Solo (ugh) on Middleton some.

On the other end, they'll put Jrue on Trae, but honestly not that worried. In the one game Trae played against them this year, he was only 3-17 from the field. But, it was his first game back off of injury and he missed ten (10!) pretty open floaters and a couple wide open jumpers. Basically, he still got to all of his spots, just couldn't hit them. Really need Bogi and Huerter to step up and hit shots though.

22 minutes ago, Statick said:

Or better yet, who's going to guard us? The Bucks aren't ranked as high defensively as the Knicks or the Sixers so our 3pt FG percentage shouldn't suffer in this series. 

As far as the Giannis question, I'd play Collins on him.

It's a good point, the Bucks are definitely not as highly ranked on defense, and while I saw PJ Tucker was praised for guarding his old friend Durant, KD still scored a lot.  I know you can't make every shot, but it seems like all the games we've lost in the post season had long stretches where literally no one could get anything to fall, 3's, floaters, lobs, etc . . .

Capela quietly played much better in games 6 and 7 against the 76ers, IMO. 

I still don't understand how we use Collins.  I know he had around 14 points in game 7, but he seemingly just floats at the wing the entire time. I know Capela is our big presence down low, but I want to see John down there banging more.

2 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Think they'll mix and match on Giannis. I imagine Cap will spend considerable time on him. Collins might have the quickness edge though and if Cap is on Giannis, then Collins has to contend with the much bigger Lopez, who has shown the ability to punish smaller defenders.  So maybe you let Collins take some Giannis and hope Cap can play off Lopez a bit to provide help D. But, Lopez likes to hang around deep and that would draw Cap away from the bucket, which is no good. It will likely be a team effort, with whoever is guarding Giannis sagging off to encourage him to launch and to try and take away an open lane to the bucket. Might also see a situation where they put Gallo on Lopez and try Collins on Middleton, though I'd be really worried that Kris will just abuse JC in the midrange.

More worried about Middleton and Jrue than Giannis, as the Greek Freak will probably eat either way. I think Bogi probably takes Middleton early, with Huerter trying to slow down Jrue. Hiding Trae on Tucker/Connaughton/Forbes as best as possible. Then maybe sliding Huerter to Middleton in certain situations to take advantage of his greater speed/length. Also likely to see Solo (ugh) on Middleton some.

On the other end, they'll put Jrue on Trae, but honestly not that worried. In the one game Trae played against them this year, he was only 3-17 from the field. But, it was his first game back off of injury and he missed ten (10!) pretty open floaters and a couple wide open jumpers. Basically, he still got to all of his spots, just couldn't hit them. Really need Bogi and Huerter to step up and hit shots though.

Yeah, I think like with Embiid we have to just know Giannis is going to feast despite our best efforts. Lopez is big but loves hanging out at the 3 pt line, and PJ Tucker is the shortest 4/PF I can think of at 6'5", plus he's 36, so I'm not that worried about him.  Worried about Middleton and Jrue as well.  Bogi's knee and Trae's shoulder are still banged up, and I hope we see at least limited minutes of Cam.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread