The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

I think this pretty much sums it up

Honestly between Braves NLCS last year and this series this actually feels like a weird consecutive number of years with game 7s. Our teams usually don't make it this far 

Can't even remember the last before this. 2008 Celtics series I guess. Probably some ugly round 1 pre Lebron Miami series in the late 2000s early 2010s where Joe Johnson and co hero ball gutted one out

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

And a metric ton of abject playoff failures that completely dwarf ours in quantity if not quality. Thiers a reason thier the most salty fans in North America and Sixers are to them what Mets and Knicks are to New York

The point is that there's a clear narrative about Atlanta Sports that even our own fans agree. And it's a factor when athletes decide on where they want to play.

IMO, if we don't blow the Super Bowl, Julio isn't on TV telling everyone he wants out of Atlanta. It just got to be too much. And can see the same thing happening to Trae.

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

The point is that there's a clear narrative about Atlanta Sports that even our own fans agree. And it's a factor when athletes decide on where they want to play.

IMO, if we don't blow the Super Bowl, Julio isn't on TV telling everyone he wants out of Atlanta. It just got to be too much. And can see the same thing happening to Trae.

Maybe but if you give a generic NBA star a choice between Sixers or Hawks to join this offseason and they had to pick one I can't imagine many would choose Sixers unless thier a distribution pointguard

Like I ***** about the national sports media as much as the next two guys combined but despite having the MVP runner up whose only 27 and the #1 seed I wouldn't call the narrative painted around the Sixers to be all that optimistic or ascendant. Its taken as a given that this is probably thier ceiling until they can figure out how to rid themselves of Simmons and say what you want about the garbage behind Trae but talking heads seem way more optimistic about Atlanta but maybe that's more cause we don't factor to them and they don't find it as fulfilling to put us down in the morning zoo shows like they do Philly

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

If you could force every Atlanta fan to bet $10K on game 7, how many are betting on the Sixers?

I'd say at least 80%.

You woulda said that bout the Knicks too tbh 

I dunno that everyone is do fatalistic about this series as you'd think anyway. I mean yeah we just lost a chance to close out the series just a few hours ago so yeah its gonna be at a all time low by by Sunday afternoon people will rebound a little bit they always do.

Probably alot more generally nervous than "yeah we're definitely going to lose this game" and this is from the guy who ALWAYS bets against his teams.

Itd probably be different if this was Brooklyn or Bucks but I don't think Philly has shown anything that scares people. Atlanta fans just want to know if Trae is going to get help or not

14 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I dunno that everyone is do fatalistic about this series as you'd think anyway. I mean yeah we just lost a chance to close out the series just a few hours ago so yeah its gonna be at a all time low by by Sunday afternoon people will rebound a little bit they always do.

Probably alot more generally nervous than "yeah we're definitely going to lose this game" and this is from the guy who ALWAYS bets against his teams.

Itd probably be different if this was Brooklyn or Bucks but I don't think Philly has shown anything that scares people. Atlanta fans just want to know if Trae is going to get help or not

The Hawks had two epic improbable comebacks in a row to get to a position to close it out at home and everyone but Trae did exactly what everyone expected Atlanta players to do in big moments. 

And it wasn't like Embiid took over and was just unstoppable. Sometimes the star goes off and there's nothing you can do. But that not what happened. It was there for them and the Hawks (not named Trae) all choked.

I don't know why you blame me for expecting things to end in the way they have always ended. 

7 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

The Hawks had two epic improbable comebacks in a row to get to a position to close it out at home and everyone but Trae did exactly what everyone expected Atlanta players to do in big moments. 

And it wasn't like Embiid took over and was just unstoppable. Sometimes the star goes off and there's nothing you can do. But that not what happened. It was there for them and the Hawks (not named Trae) all choked.

I don't know why you blame me for expecting things to end in the way they have always ended. 

Eh that's a self fulfilling prophecy with easily moveable goal posts tho. Atlanta wasn't supposed to beat the New York team that everyone was picking (foolishly) in 5 until they did. Hawks could easily win Sunday (they won 2 of 3 in Philly already) so what then?. Its not like Philly is going to be a massive vegas favorite, itll probably be fairly modest. 

Personally this isn't where I'd draw the "okay this is where the Atlanta team will definitely do the Atlanta thing" line in the sand. Stakes aren't high enough if we win it's just onto yet another round as the underdog. This is just Georgia pulling out a Rose Bowl they had no right to win. We ain't in Natty territory yet

6 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

What in the dystopian f**k is this?

Don't worry, the Dems will just condition their constituents by calling it the new norm. Building materials, home prices, interest rates all going up up up, to live in this world is tough tough tough...Thanks Biden.

Feeling great appreciation for @NightPain today

I'll take "media lies" for $1000 Alex

30 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Don't worry, the Dems will just condition their constituents by calling it the new norm. Building materials, home prices, interest rates all going up up up, to live in this world is tough tough tough...Thanks Biden.

Feeling great appreciation for @NightPain today

I'll take "media lies" for $1000 Alex

15 hours ago, lostone said:

Y’all my mother’s husband is at the end and she isn’t taking it well.  I wouldn’t expect anyone to.  He is suffering and he isn’t eating or letting anyone give him pills.  She feels the doctors aren’t trying hard enough.  It hurts watching her.  She’s not accepting what is happening.  I may not like the guy, but watching him suffer like this is heart breaking.  

cancer sucks so much

Sorry to hear your family is going through this.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread