The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Imagine being in a city with just one championship gathering dust from 26 years ago thinking that a team that won two championships "underperformed"

Why can't any team in this town underperform like that?

I am saying in the context of being a "Superteam".  Most Superteams don't actually dominate the way people think. Spurs, who were never considered a superteam have more championships than the Heat or Celtics. 

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

When's the last team built like the Hawks to win a championship? You could maaaaybe say Toronto but even that wouldn't be correct. 

You'd have to go back to one of the San Antonio teams (which just happened to be chalk full of Hall of Famers playing under a hall of fame coach) probably or even Mavericks or **** even further to the Pistons

Warriors. The team that Travis Schlenk came from. First championship was built. Curry, Draymond, and Klay were drafted by the Warriors. Spurs were also build via the draft and they won more championships than many "Superteams". 

15 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I am saying in the context of being a "Superteam".  Most Superteams don't actually dominate the way people think. Spurs, who were never considered a superteam have more championships than the Heat or Celtics. 

Warriors. The team that Travis Schlenk came from. First championship was built. Curry, Draymond, and Klay were drafted by the Warriors. Spurs were also build via the draft and they won more championships than many "Superteams". 

If you want us to be built like the Warriors it ain't happening. Draymond and Klay rookies ain't coming thru that door even if we arguably already got Steph. Maybe if we had tanked another few seasons but were officially out of tank mode now and what we have is already probably all we're going to get impact player wise by means of draft. It's going to have to be clever free agency/trade moves going forward.

At best draft is just going to give us more depth pieces like OO

Besides if my memory isn't failing me Warriors only won the one before they elected to go with super team building too although they should have won 2016 without Draymond getting himself suspended 

Just watching Trae deliver gorgeous passes to JC to ensure there isn't another Sixer in his zipcode only for Collins to brick it has made me really pessimistic about Collins going forward. 

Yeah hes young but if you don't have it you don't have it

7 minutes ago, AF89 said:

If you want us to be built like the Warriors it ain't happening. Draymond and Klay rookies ain't coming thru that door even if we arguably already got Steph. Maybe if we had tanked another few seasons but were officially out of tank mode now and what we have is already probably all we're going to get impact player wise by means of draft. It's going to have to be clever free agency/trade moves going forward.

At best draft is just going to give us more depth pieces like OO

Dray was a 2nd round pick. Plus we need to wait and see what we have from Hunter and Reddish. I wouldn't write either of them off as already reaching their ceiling. Both still have a ton of potential and have shown a lot as well. Still only their 2nd season and they dealt with injuries. 

Building an NBA team pretty much goes like this:

1. Draft the next big superstar.

2. Convince another big star to come play with your next big superstar for a championship run.

3. Hope the rest of your draft picks result in just one guy that can play some defense/rebound.

The Hawks have seemingly done #1. If they can't do 2 and 3, then Trae is going to eventually go the Julio route and be the #2 with another team's next big star.

I'm not optimistic.

3 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Dray was a 2nd round pick. Plus we need to wait and see what we have from Hunter and Reddish. I wouldn't write either of them off as already reaching their ceiling. Both still have a ton of potential and have shown a lot as well. Still only their 2nd season and they dealt with injuries. 

Thier nice pieces to build around and Hunter can be the guy the other team has to strategize for on defense, Huerter can be JJ Reddick or second half of career Ray Allen but neither is going to take over a game. We probably have enough of a sample size on them to make a fairly reasonable judgment on that matter.

NBA isn't often a late bloomer kinda league where nice players turn into great without you having some idea of it before hand. I mean it does happen but I don't really see it here

12 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Building an NBA team pretty much goes like this:

1. Draft the next big superstar.

2. Convince another big star to come play with your next big superstar for a championship run.

3. Hope the rest of your draft picks result in just one guy that can play some defense/rebound.

The Hawks have seemingly done #1. If they can't do 2 and 3, then Trae is going to eventually go the Julio route and be the #2 with another team's next big star.

I'm not optimistic.

Yep but we've never had another player like Trae in the super team era so I don't think its impossible. Previously we were having to hope guys would want to play with Paul Milsap/Joe Johnson and Al Horford

This still a more attractive city than Boston without Bill Simmons in thier agents ear or some sh*t

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

Yep but we've never had another player like Trae in the super team era so I don't think its impossible. Previously we were having to hope guys would want to play with Paul Milsap/Joe Johnson and Horford

This still a more attractive city than Boston without Bill Simmons in thier agents ear or some sh*t

It's not the city. Many of these guys live in Atlanta or spend a ton of time here. Boston has lousy weather and ugly women and athletes still line up to play there in all sports. Why is that?

To borrow the crappy SEC slogan, it just means more there. If you're Tommy in Quincy shoveling your car out of the snow 6 months out of the year and looking at the same ugly girls at the bar, the Pats, Celtics, and Red Sox are literally all you have. 

But Atlanta is closer to Vegas. A city of transplants where everyone wants to play, but no one wants to work. Sports have always been more of a background to everything else going on (unless you're college football). And now that you actually have a generation or two of local die hard fans, all they know is the pain 28-3, all those Braves postseasons, etc. What athlete wants any part of that?

12 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Thier nice pieces to build around and Hunter can be the guy the other team has to strategize for on defense, Huerter can be JJ Reddick or second half of career Ray Allen but neither is going to take over a game. We probably have enough of a sample size on them to make a fairly reasonable judgment on that matter.

NBA isn't often a late bloomer kinda league where nice players turn into great without you having some idea of it before hand. I mean it does happen but I don't really see it here

Cannot agree there. Way to many examples of players blowing up after their 2nd season for me to agree. These guys are not even in their prime. Plenty of room to grow for both of them. 

8 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

It's not the city. Many of these guys live in Atlanta or spend a ton of time here. Boston has lousy weather and ugly women and athletes still line up to play there in all sports. Why is that?

To borrow the crappy SEC slogan, it just means more there. If you're Tommy in Quincy shoveling your car out of the snow 6 months out of the year and looking at the same ugly girls at the bar, the Pats, Celtics, and Red Sox are literally all you have. 

But Atlanta is closer to Vegas. A city of transplants where everyone wants to play, but no one wants to work. Sports have always been more of a background to everything else going on (unless you're college football). And now that you actually have a generation or two of local die hard fans, all they know is the pain 28-3, all those Braves postseasons, etc. What athlete wants any part of that?

I don't know that most stars care that much about fan passion compared to standard of living. I mean some do, Al Horford did, but if that were universally true Atlanta United would be chalk full with guys who played soccer from Georgetown or Creighton or wherever instead of guys who started in some of the craziest atmospheres on Earth like the Copa Libertodores.

Most guys just want to get paid and win and have some fun but safe places to chill in between 

Frankly some of the stuff I hear from Giants and Eagle players makes thier fans sound more like a detriment than a added bonus for signing there.

Meanwhile Atlanta media is the absolute friendliest in the entire country. John Collins could walk into any Atlanta area Kroger tonight in full uniform and not only walk out unaccosted but probably with some free gifts and a few phone numbers

Just now, AF89 said:

I don't know that most stars care that much about fan passion compared to standard of living. I mean some do, Al Horford did, but if that were universally true Atlanta United would be chalk full with guys who played soccer from Georgetown or Creighton or wherever instead of guys who started in The Copa Libertodores.

Most guys just want to get paid and win and have some fun but safe places to chill in between 

But I think that everything that has made Atlanta Sports practically a meme at this point is also a factor. When everyone is expecting the worst, the athletes pick up on that vibe as well. And nobody wants to be on the wrong end of those memes. Nor play in front of fans that are only conditioned to know pain.

It's a vicious cycle that feeds on itself with every failure and I don't know if it can ever be broken.

This is why I firmly believe I will not live to see another championship.

At least were not the Jazz, building a #1 seed only to drop a series to Terrance Mann and no Kawhi in sight

I mean it was tied when suddenly the best player on either team was out indefinitely out of nowhere and they've rolled

Crazy that the suns are probably going to be in the Finals relatively painlessly 

5 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Frankly some of the stuff I hear from Giants and Eagle players makes thier fans sound more like a detriment than a added bonus for signing there.

Meanwhile Atlanta media is the absolute friendliest in the entire country. John Collins could walk into any Atlanta area Kroger tonight in full uniform and not only walk out unaccosted but probably with some free gifts and a few phone numbers

But the difference is that those fans are conditioned and expect to win. They almost feel entitled to it. 

I have a lot of Philly fans in my twitter timeline and even after blowing back to back games like they did, most felt pretty certain that they will win in 7. Meanwhile most of the Atlanta fans are waiting for the next big **** punch even after being up 3-2 and coming home to close it out.

That stuff matters and I think theres a psychological effect. It's the only explanation for why there's so much choking here.

7 minutes ago, AF89 said:

At least were not the Jazz, building a #1 seed only to drop a series to Terrance Mann and no Kawhi in sight

I mean it was tied when suddenly the best player on either team was out indefinitely out of nowhere and they've rolled

Crazy that the suns are probably going to be in the Finals relatively painlessly 

Yeah I buy into that a bit but I think that's still mostly a Falcons thing than it effects the Hawks. I don't think a player thinks too much about 28-3 when hes decinding between the Hawks or the Trailblazers unless thier from here.

That's our trauma I don't know how much that factors into Bogi and JC being dog ****. Their just not great players

4 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

But the difference is that those fans are conditioned and expect to win. They almost feel entitled to it. 

I have a lot of Philly fans in my twitter timeline and even after blowing back to back games like they did, most felt pretty certain that they will win in 7. Meanwhile most of the Atlanta fans are waiting for the next big **** punch even after being up 3-2 and coming home to close it out.

That stuff matters and I think theres a psychological effect. It's the only explanation for why there's so much choking here.

I don't know why they would. Sixers have literally never done anything in any of thier lifetimes and have a far far far faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar bigger history of choking than do the Hawks. **** they've already been historical at it in this series alone.

Like I'm actually not completely jumping ship from the Hawks but that's more bout Philly than the Hawks. That's not a good team right now without a healthy Embiid and a psychologically broken Simmons. Thier starting to give me Knicks vibes. Hawks would have backed into a series win they probably didn't deserve without Curry doing stuff he'll never ever do again after this series.

Just now, AF89 said:

Yeah I buy into that a bit but I think that's still mostly a Falcons thing than it effects the Hawks. I don't think a player thinks too much about 28-3 when hes decinding between the Hawks or the Trailblazers unless thier from here.

That's our trauma I don't know how much that factors into Bogi and JC being dog ****

It goes beyond just the Falcons. When everyone in the stadium or arena is just waiting for the next painful moment, the athletes know it. If you have ever been in Truist/Turner Field in October, you could practically taste it.

I wouldn't want any part of it if I could help it.

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

It goes beyond just the Falcons. When everyone in the stadium or arena is just waiting for the next painful moment, the athletes know it. If you have ever been in Truist/Turner Field in October, you could practically taste it.

I wouldn't want any part of it if I could help it.

Any Sixer fan that's 100% confident is high or probably actually lives in Atlanta lol. Even as a city thier like one tier above us and Cleveland in reasons to he sports confident.

4 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I don't know why they would. Sixers have literally never done anything in any of thier lifetimes and have a far far far faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar bigger history of choking than do the Hawks. **** they've already been historical at it in this series alone.

But many of those same fans saw their football team win the Super Bowl over Tom Brady and the Pats with Nick F'ing Foles.

And many of them are Phillies fans with recent championships.

Atlanta fans just know one ending over and over. At best, a few are Bama fans that know what championships are like. But most are UGA fans that still taste 2nd and 26.

Like 10 times more pressure on the sixers too. We beat them Sunday and "The Process" is going to be blown up.

We lose and it's probably going to be another optimistic offseason

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

But many of those same fans saw their football team win the Super Bowl over Tom Brady and the Pats with Nick F'ing Foles.

And many of them are Phillies fans with recent championships.

Atlanta fans just know one ending over and over. At best, a few are Bama fans that know what championships are like. But most are UGA fans that still taste 2nd and 26.

And a metric ton of abject playoff failures that completely dwarf ours in quantity if not quality. Thiers a reason thier the most salty fans in North America and Sixers are to them what Mets and Knicks are to New York

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread