The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

6 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

This is year 3 of the rebuild. I still have faith in this team to improve. We were missing Reddish and Hunter this series as well.  We will be back.  Hawks are actually being built well the succeed. 

Maybe even good enough to make a conference finals one day and lose in the most painful way possible. 

That's pretty much the ceiling in this town.

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Maybe even good enough to make a conference finals one day and lose in the most painful way possible. 

I've seen waaay too many teams built perfectly and implode in an eye blink to ever let myself get (too) excited about future potential 

I just let myself remember the Jags had like the most talented roster in the NFL going into that 2018 offseason and like I'm not sure they've won a total of 10 games since

We're one offseason away from Trae deciding hes sick of this sh*t and rebuilding from square one

11 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Maybe. It will depend on Hunter and Reddish. They are our x factors. They both have the talent to be elite wings in this league. If they pop, then I like our chances in the future. Otherwise our cap will probably be ECF.  The Nets and the Bucks are the two scariest teams in the East, but neither are unstoppable and our timeline can outlast them. 

Guys, I know how must I come off and maybe it's just depression/ lack of sleep/ulcers from a horrible last 12 months, but I just can't do sports anymore. There's no joy in it. It's either despair or temporary relief from not losing that night. And it wasn't that long ago where I lived and died with every game.

It's great that you guys still have hope after everything that sports in this town has done to you. Hope is a beautiful thing. I wish I still had some, but I don't.

7 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Maybe. It will depend on Hunter and Reddish. They are our x factors. They both have the talent to be elite wings in this league. If they pop, then I like our chances in the future. Otherwise our cap will probably be ECF.  The Nets and the Bucks are the two scariest teams in the East, but neither are unstoppable and our timeline can outlast them. 

The NBA is always subject to a few superstars deciding to all jump on one team and win a ring. The only certainty is that team won't be in Atlanta.

8 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

See I look at it different. The competition is so weak this year. Every following year sees the formation of another super team. Man I'd live to do something this year. Before we have to play Luka, Curry and Dame in Miami or something 

4 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

The NBA is always subject to a few superstars deciding to all jump on one team and win a ring. The only certainty is that team won't be in Atlanta.

If the players ever did start trying to collude something together to maybe build something new never before seen in the countrys 7th largest media market the national sports media would try to talk them into doing it in Sacremento first 

3 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Guys, I know how must I come off and maybe it's just depression/ lack of sleep/ulcers from a horrible last 12 months, but I just can't do sports anymore. There's no joy in it. It's either despair or temporary relief from not losing that night. And it wasn't that long ago where I lived and died with every game.

It's great that you guys still have hope after everything that sports in this town has done to you. Hope is a beautiful thing. I wish I still had some, but I don't.

I don't blame you. I took a break from the Falcons a couple years ago and haven't looked back to be honest. I was thinking about joining back with the new hires, but not taking a QB makes me feel like this team is only ever going to strive for mediocrity.  We need a restart like the Hawks did. 

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

The NBA is always subject to a few superstars decided to all jump on one team and win a ring. The only certainty is that team won't be in Atlanta.

Outside the Nets, no one is really plotting or trying to build a super team, plus a lot of the current superstars are going to be falling out of their prime in the next few years. We have all of our picks and spare talent to make a trade. I am not giving up on this team. We do need a second star though. 

5 minutes ago, AF89 said:

See I look at it different. The competition is so weak this year. Every following year sees the formation of another super team. Man I'd live to do something this year. Before we have to play Luka, Curry and Dame in Miami or something 

Curry and Dame are already 30+. Most of the big name stars are already 30+ and on huge contract that would be difficult to move.  Plus most superteams kinda underperform.  Miami won 2 Championships. Cavs "superteam" won 1. Celtics superteam won 1. Warriors were really the only good superteam so far. 

Teams like the Celtics, Heat or ****even the Knicks could build a super team like any offseason now because that's just the way the NBA works for chosen markets. It usually only takes an offseason or two. Look at Brooklyn. That one happened quickly and nobody on that team was drafted by them

28-3, 2nd and 26, 3-1 in the NLCS.....

I'm taking these things as a clear sign that maybe I should find other ways to pass my time.

And I have. I've been lifting a lot and working hard at jiu-jitsu. At least those are things I have some control over. Getting angry over something that was never going to happen anyway is dumb.

2 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Curry and Dame are already 30+. Most of the big name stars are already 30+ and on huge contract that would be difficult to move.  Plus most superteams kinda underperform.  Miami won 2 Championships. Cavs "superteam" won 1. Celtics superteam won 1. Warriors were really the only good superteam so far. 

When's the last team built like the Hawks to win a championship? You could maaaaybe say Toronto but even that wouldn't be correct. 

You'd have to go back to one of the San Antonio teams (which just happened to be chalk full of Hall of Famers playing under a hall of fame coach) probably or even Mavericks or **** even further to the Pistons

3 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Imagine being in a city with just one championship gathering dust from 26 years ago thinking that a team that won two championships "underperformed"

Why can't any team in this town underperform like that?

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread