The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

By the by, I don't think I've ever personally hated an Atlanta team as much as I do the  2021 Braves and that's some stiff competition from several Falcons teams.

The combination of preseason expectations, with a critical player breaking his hand punching a bleacher and another choking out his girl in the same news cycle just really....*chefs kiss* 

We ain't even halfway yet

On 5/21/2021 at 9:56 AM, Mr. Hoopah! said:

One would have assumed that republicans would have been in favor of a 1/6 commission to reveal to the public that the FBI goaded a bunch of upper middle class boomers and Q folks into storming federal property and beating up cops. 

9 minutes ago, Serge said:

Republicans aren't saying it, though; Tucker Carlson's saying it. That's how they can have their cake and eat it, too.

Some people like to pretend like the voter suppression bills in Georgia and elsewhere have some legitimate purpose or reasoning behind it.  But Republicans themselves have openly explained what it’s all about so many times that by now it’s just willful ignorance for someone to pretend like it’s anything other than manipulating elections to their advantage under the guise of an outright lie…

Former Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer says he attended various meetings, beginning in 2009, at which party staffers and consultants pushed for reductions in early voting days and hours.

“The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told The Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only. ... ‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us,’ ” Greer said he was told by those staffers and consultants.

“They never came in to see me and tell me we had a (voter) fraud issue,” Greer said. “It’s all a marketing ploy.”

26 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Probably sitting here six months from now with Fox News using the "Tucker can't be construed as real news" defense  in court again 

25 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Some people like to pretend like the voter suppression bills in Georgia and elsewhere have some legitimate purpose or reasoning behind it.  But Republicans themselves have openly explained what it’s all about so many times that by now it’s just willful ignorance for someone to pretend like it’s anything other than manipulating elections to their advantage under the guise of an outright lie…

Former Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer says he attended various meetings, beginning in 2009, at which party staffers and consultants pushed for reductions in early voting days and hours.

“The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told The Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only. ... ‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us,’ ” Greer said he was told by those staffers and consultants.

“They never came in to see me and tell me we had a (voter) fraud issue,” Greer said. “It’s all a marketing ploy.”

It is just like the restrictive Voter ID laws that have been pushed.

Every time the republicans have their ***** handed to them they find new ways to try and keep it from happening.

55 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Yeah, the Republicans probably don't actually care about ever getting a 1/6 commission or really getting to the bottom of what happened, and they'll happily attack anything the Democrats set up as a partisan witch hunt. I'm struggling with why liberals have to be completely unprepared for the inevitable right-wing media speculation that FBI informants at least helped plan 1/6 with the FBI's knowledge, simply because the Republicans and right-wing media are going to use that speculation in bad faith.

If liberal media can't even address the possibility that the FBI had anything to do with 1/6 without treating it like a bonkers cuckoo conspiracy theory, what good are the Democrats going to do themselves leading an investigation into 1/6? The same media that treats the Democrats like the good guys also treat the FBI like the good guys. And that same media's created the expectation that a 1/6 commission would reveal widespread involvement by Republican representatives, while the FBI does their best to fight off the forces of fascism in America today.

It's actually a really ****ty situation for the Democrats to be in.

After listening to Putin's press conference after the summit, I can say he's a sly smooth talker who skirted around tough questions even though saying things positive on his feeling toward Biden. He still couldn't explain why he tried killing Navalye but tried to explain it away as being no different than our Jan 6th disaster which is no comparison of actual facts behind the two episodes. He also denies any knowledge or involvement in the cyber attacks on us. When asked if he would invite Biden as a guest or go if he were invited to the White House, he said "we're just not there yet"  Waiting for Biden's presser.

16 minutes ago, Serge said:

Yeah, the Republicans probably don't actually care about ever getting a 1/6 commission or really getting to the bottom of what happened, and they'll happily attack anything the Democrats set up as a partisan witch hunt.

They will look at us and into Rupert Murdoch's cameras with the straightest face you've ever seen and say any democrat-led investigation into 1/6 was a partisan witch hunt while getting zero push back into blocking a bi-partisan commission despite being the minority party.

You're right that none of the politicians want to say they the FBI's alleged involvement needs to be investigated, because they don't want any part of it investigated as bad **** would come out, but they're more than satisfied to have their official state TV propaganda piece in Tucker wonder it out loud to placate the base.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread