The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

While I continue to enjoy what the MCU is putting out, I’m otherwise over saturated with super hero stuff and The Boys is a much more interesting take on what if super heroes were psychotic serial killers than Invincible, especially given the teenage love interest stuff. If they’re going to do that level of graphic gore, I’d prefer adult-relations like crushing a guy’s skull while he tosses your salad or a merman-rapist getting his gills fingered like on the Boys. 

I really enjoyed the 90s DC universe animation style. I didn't like most of the Mark subplot stuff but it did grow on me if not to be really into it at least just enough to care a little so I can get to the next big plot point. His friends are kinda one dimensional. Atom Eve was okay

Robot was by the far the most interesting character 

Just now, The Monarch said:

Or, counterpoint, I just thought it was funny knowing it was probably not true and thought others might also find it funny. But kudos, sir. I thank my lord (satan) every night we have you here to be the supreme arbiter of truth and appropriateness on this board.

You’re making a way bigger deal out of this than it should be.  But “who cares if something I posted as fact isn’t actually true” is a ridiculous position to take. 

Or perhaps we should just assume everything you post from Twitter is fake since you obviously don’t care about being factually accurate.  :shrug:  

5 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I'm gonna give this a shot after everyone goes to bed tonight. I liked Red Son Superman too.

If you like DC Animated Universe stuff you'll probably like this. This has like the same tone except with real collateral consequences. Without looking it up they surely must have used DC artists.

Just now, Sponge said:

I missed out on the Chrissy drama, what happen to get her canceled?

She bullied and harassed several younger women, including telling Courtney Stodden (the then-16 year old that married the fifty-something year old weird actor from The Green Mile) that she should commit suicide. 

6 minutes ago, Sponge said:

how long is an episode?

Bout an hour

I agree with Hoopah here. The first episode is a total slog till last 5-10 mins which I already spoiled for you if you watched it.

Having said that a large part of that was my expectations. I wanted something more like The Boys and instead got an earnest DC superhero type plot. Its probably not bad if you watch it with the same eyes you would for Red Son or Batman Killing Joke

1 minute ago, The Monarch said:

You guys remember when Trout used to post those Trump tweets? Turns out a bunch of them WEREN'T TRUE and Trump DIDN'T tweet those things!

My world is broken.

:rolleyes:

You got honey****ed again.  Just admit it and move on.  JFC, this is lame.  

Just now, AF89 said:

Bout an hour

I agree with Hoopah here. The first episode is a total slog till last 5-10 mins which I already spoiled for you if you watched it.

Having said that a large part of that was my expectations. I wanted something more like The Boys and instead got an earnest DC superhero type plot. Its probably not bad if you watch it with the same eyes you would for Red Son

I'll sit through the first episode so I'll know WTH is going on.

Still, to this day, I refuse to watch The Notebook, even though my wife begs me. And I know me and @Mr. Hoopah! talked about this years ago, but I still haven't seen Brokeback Mtn.

Also from what I understand Elden Ring is connected to Dark Souls either directly or spiritually which from what I know is very minimalist show don't tell, let the player do the work on the plot. 

No idea how they fit GRRM into that kind of story telling

4 minutes ago, Sponge said:

I'll sit through the first episode so I'll know WTH is going on.

Still, to this day, I refuse to watch The Notebook, even though my wife begs me. And I know me and @Mr. Hoopah! talked about this years ago, but I still haven't seen Brokeback Mtn.

The Notebook sucks, but if you don’t cry like a ***** at the end, you might not have a pulse. 

Brokeback Mountain is a good tragic love story. Incredible cinematography, the outdoor shots are breathtaking. 

It also answers the question in everyone’s mind of “what would it look like if Heath Ledger spit in his hand to lube up Jake Gyllenhal’s brown eye.”

::touches ear piece::

Hold on, being told just now not everyone had that question in their mind. 

50 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I as up on the NBA and the way teams work like I am with the NFL and to some extent MLB.

What sort of package  would the Mavericks get if they put him on the trade block?

I see Cuban doing everything possible, including cleaning house in the FO, to keep Luka. But Luka sees that other superstars get their way every time now, so he can just sit and force a blockbuster trade. 

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread