The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

8 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Ugh, the Hawks play tonight. Brooklyn is crumbling and we quit. 

They didn't quit. They're just getting beat by the superior team, which is what happens 95% of the time in the NBA playoffs. And when you get beat like that, it can look like the players aren't trying as much or gave up or whatever. But they haven't. Those dudes burn to win. Trae was on the sideline slamming the scorer's table. They're professionals and fierce competitors. They haven't quit. They just haven't found any answers yet which isn't surprising because, again, Philly is the better team and it's hard to find answers to unanswerable questions.

In addition to being better, healthier, and more experienced, Philly was just a terrible matchup for us. Embiid is one of maybe 2 centers in the league who can neutralize Capela on both ends of the floor. That's just devastating because, especially on D, Capela is so essential to the team. But when he's fighting tooth and nail just to stay with his much bigger, much more skilled counterpart, he can't do the things he usually does, like leaving his man to deter any other players from reaching the rim. Embiid is also neutralizing the lobs to Cap and JC, and limiting our offensive rebounding, both of which are pretty critical parts of opening up our offense.

Then you factor in that Philly has multiple long, excellent defenders to throw on our best playmaker. Plenty of teams have length, but few have guys who can actually use that length to bother Trae. Philly does (even though Trae is still playing pretty well).

Honestly, I'd have liked the matchup better against the Nets (even fully healthy) despite the fact they'd be the far superior team and almost certainly win. But at least we'd have things they'd have trouble dealing with on both sides of the floor.

I haven't given up. I think we still win one more game, and there's an outside shot of winning the series (maybe 20-30%), but at the end of the day the better team almost always wins the series in the NBA.

Just now, AF89 said:

7ft 300lbs with a pretty good stroke

Refs:"Oh yeah that's a guy that needs foul help"

Yeah, that's frustrating. Particularly because the refs are seemingly saying "gotta let Philly play physical with Trae" but won't offer the same latitude to our defenders on Joel.

2 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Yeah, that's frustrating. Particularly because the refs are seemingly saying "gotta let Philly play physical with Trae" but won't offer the same latitude to our defenders on Joel.

I adore Steve Nash. Loved him as a Sun, he was awesome as a soccer analyst, hes a pretty cool guy off the court.

I'll never forgive him for really blowing up this narrative on Trae that's probably going to follow him the rest of his career to the point even one of America's most powerful governors dutifully parrots it despite almost certainly having no idea what hes talking about or even having any particular plays in mind.

I've been jumping on Philly -3 all day tho :ninja:

When the Hawks can neither defend Embidd or even be allowed to get lucky while doing so that's too big an inside advantage I can't ignore when thiers a very modest spread/moneyline just sitting there. Vegas hasn't broke for philly in this series as much as they probably should have

The good news is I have a long history of losing money on the 76ers particularly when they play the Hawks (it used to be a running joke going back to two years ago that we always weirdly beat them for some reason)

4 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

p,s. where is our resident ol' sourpuss @Big_Dog? Hope he's okay, maybe he made a trip to play the horses? 

Political-Cartoon-6.14.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Spending the week in Biloxi betting horses in the sports book telecasts at the Golden Nugget. My birthday/fathers day reward for being a retired GENIUS. :mmmhmm:

1 minute ago, Big_Dog said:

Spending the week in Biloxi betting horses in the sports book telecasts at the Golden Nugget. My birthday/fathers day reward for being a retired GENIUS. :mmmhmm:

I thought that might be the case as I mentioned earlier. Well, glad you're alright and enjoying yourself.  Happy birthday/father's day you ol' fart GENIUS...:tiphat:

1 minute ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

The biggest problem with Rand Paul’s comment is that it’s exactly the opposite.  Jim Crow and segregation came about because African Americans won the right to vote and started registering in large enough numbers that they became majorities in some states and very large percentages of voters in the rest of the confederate states.  Jim Crow was intended to stop them from voting.  It was actually the minority or a very small majority of whites undermining democracy to create something of a racial authoritarianism in those states that disenfranchised the majority of voters or a huge percentage of voters.  It’s exactly the opposite of what Rand Paul is saying.

One thing that does need to be recognized is that there are anti-democratic and anti-majoritarian aspects to the Constitution.  Every point made about protecting the rights of minority parties against “tyranny of the majority” shouldn’t get cast into the same legitimately dangerous authoritarianism that is being peddled by a lot of Republicans right now.  The electoral college does allow one candidate to the win the popular vote but lose the presidency, and that is anti-democratic but is nonetheless part of our system.  That’s a legitimate institution, in other words.  That’s very different from using bogus and unconstitutional procedures and even direct pressure (as Trump did with Raffensburger and others) to overturn a free and fair election and install Trump as an authoritarian regime.  The latter is not legitimate, let alone legal, and is extremely dangerous to our system of government.  

Point being that Paul’s comment is pretty dumb and factually incorrect, but it’s not on the same level as what Trump and other Republicans are doing in terms of undermining trust in fair elections and trying to overtly overturn those elections and install themselves as an authoritarian regime.  

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread