The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread

6 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

NBA isn't like the NFL. There is no hard cap. Just having to pay the luxury tax.  Having Collins contract for trade purposes doesn't actually tie us down. We have everyone's bird rights, so we can still resign our guys and draft picks. 

I don't disagree, but how do we get them here. We have no cap space, so we cannot just sign them, which means either drafting or trading for one. I don't think we will regress, so it is unlikely we will draft a star. And trading for one means losing pieces, I'd rather have Collins, so we lose less important pieces in that trade. Otherwise we will need to give up Gallo/Bogi for contract matching purposes AND Hunter/Reddish for talent purposes, plus picks. 

Bird is only going to give us the extra amount to be able to outbid any team that wants to go for Collins. (Which admittedly has to be a shrinking list) Do we really want to tie our cap to even the baseline NBA max with him?

At this point I wonder if that contract might even be better spent on a couple depth pieces.

Man Id kill for another Paul Milsap type free agent, just to have a guy thats not going to disappear on back to back nights

1 minute ago, WOR said:

Might just skip game 4 at this rate and watch game 5 cause it'll he the last game for a while 

They've been so good at home that'd I'd like to think they wont pinch off a turd two games in a row....

But its hard not to see the quit right now. They're losing by 40 in Philly if they drop game 4

14 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Its times like these that I'm glad I dont watch Atlanta sports anymore.

Tfw the Georgia sports psychology of bitter hoplessness finally settles itself in

Lets hope he and Julio don't text or anything

13 minutes ago, AF89 said:

If we have to trade some of the nicer pieces to get someone who can actually create matchup problems in big games I can live with that

Collins and Gallo for even just decent backup PG and C/PF is the move. Obviously a little more for Capela, but those are the needs. 

I wish Dallas was dumb enough for a Gallo/Brunson swap.

18 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Tfw the Georgia sports psychology of bitter hoplessness finally settles itself in

Lets hope he and Julio don't text or anything

They all know. Thats what I was saying months ago, the Curse isn't anything supernatural at this point. It's more or less a vibe that permeates everything. Not just the fans, but the athletes as well.

Thats why big name free agents never come to Atlanta. No matter how many of them are from or live here. They don't want any part of it. Julio had enough of it.

45 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Bird is only going to give us the extra amount to be able to outbid any team that wants to go for Collins. (Which admittedly has to be a shrinking list) Do we really want to tie our cap to even the baseline NBA max with him?

At this point I wonder if that contract might even be better spent on a couple depth pieces.

Man Id kill for another Paul Milsap type free agent, just to have a guy thats not going to disappear on back to back nights

I honestly think we are a second star away from being a contender. We have enough depth.  When the playoffs come around, you are gonna expect your stars to play 40 minutes, which doesn't leave much minutes for depth pieces. I'd rather be top heavy in the NBA than have too much depth. Brooklyn shows how important having multiple stars are over great depth. 

10 minutes ago, achilles return said:

the gather step doesn't count old man, it's not traveling 

If  you say so.

Watching the Suns-Nuggets game and I saw multiple nuggets probably take 5 steps and the announcers just fawned over the euro step.

That ***** was traveling

5 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

WFW downvoting folks but not posting is hilarious.

DownvoteDon is not a fan of WFW, but I REALLY hate him.

Every time WFW negs DVD,  I shows up, negate WFW’s neg with a “like”, then neg the **** out of every WFW post I can find.  I’m Negative Nancy, Dambit!

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: The Deer Hunter (1978) Thread