The ABF Classic Film Series: Prince of Darkness (1987) Thread

25 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Yeah, gasoline shouldn't burn due to compression alone. You really do need a spark in order for it to happen. Gasoline is intentionally formulated that way.

*IN THEORY*, the combustion chamber could contain enough diesel to ignite gasoline that is mixed in, and that would be bad.

In Practice, diesel is "thicker" than gasoline, and it tends to stay a bit separated, similar to water and oil. It's super unlikely that you would actually get the proper mix to burn.

Put it this way, I was a diesel tech for YEARS, and had numerous call out for someone dropping gas in a diesel and I never saw it, or heard of any instances where it caused a major issue outside of basically hydrolocking the engine.

I don't know much about the makeup of diesel I just know it's a **** to ignite, gas on the other hand just needs a small amount of gas air mix and boom. 

Side note: during Desert Shield, Desert Storm we ran out of diesel for the crappers so gas was used in the drums for a short while. One kid didn't realize this and tossed his butt in the can  before he had finished the paperwork. Well I'm sure you get the picture.

1 minute ago, Southern California Liar said:

I've been so close so many times and then just bailed out and went to a family in this areas house that is just absolutely ridiculous. Makes the news every year.

I was actually thinking the same thing while we were there though.

We finally made it last year. It was a nest little getaway. Nothing outrageously special but nice if the kids like Christmas lights

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

All this talk about gas. Will it kill anything if I go from Mid to Regular? My car can use flex fuel too but I ain't driving all the way to Newnan for that

That depends entirely on your car.  I have to use mid-grade for various reasons, though occasional regular won’t harm it at all.  When I was driving a Jeep Wrangler, though, I only used Regular for about 10 years and didn’t have any problems with it.  

2 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

That depends entirely on your car.  I have to use mid-grade for various reasons, though occasional regular won’t harm it at all.  When I was driving a Jeep Wrangler, though, I only used Regular for about 10 years and didn’t have any problems with it.  

I got a 2011 Chrysler 200. The ONLY reason I use mid is because that's what I always saw my mom use growing up. Anytime I'm in Newnan I fill up with Flex Fuel but that isn't often

F***, used cars are now ludicrously expensive, y’all.  I was reading the inflation numbers and saw that used cars were driving some of that (energy obviously is the major driver), so I went and looked up the Kelley Blue Book value and they valued mine USED at a few thousand above what I actually paid new for it.

I thought, “that cannot be right.”  So I went to Carmax and some other used car websites and looked at what they were actually charging for the same vehicle with similar mileage.  They had one a year older than mine and with 15k more miles than mine asking exactly what I paid for mine new.  

I cannot believe that a vehicle actually appreciated over time.  

8 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

All this talk about gas. Will it kill anything if I go from Mid to Regular? My car can use flex fuel too but I ain't driving all the way to Newnan for that

Depends on the car.

My Car? We got problems if I use anything other than Premium. I throw in a little flex when I'm around a station that sells it.

My wife's car? No Problem.

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

I got a 2011 Chrysler 200. The ONLY reason I use mid is because that's what I always saw my mom use growing up. Anytime I'm in Newnan I fill up with Flex Fuel but that isn't often

Don’t know enough about cars to tell you if mid grade is necessary for that particular model.  You might do some internet searches and see if other people have information about it.  There should be some credible places with experienced people who have posted about this.  

Just now, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Depends on the car.

My Car? We got problems if I use anything other than Premium. I throw in a little flex when I'm around a station that sells it.

My wife's car? No Problem.

I wish we had a station that uses flex here. This is the follow up post

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Don’t know enough about cars to tell you if mid grade is necessary for that particular model.  You might do some internet searches and see if other people have information about it.  There should be some credible places with experienced people who have posted about this.  

The owners manual says flex or regular. I just wonder if I'm going to mess up something switching from mid to regular. 

Foolishly I was using premium in my old 98 Monte Carlo. I went from premium to regular and almost killed my baby lol

10 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Most modern cars can adjust. You will just lose some power and fuel economy if your car is rated for something higher than what you are using. It isn't recommended for long periods, but it won't kill your car like old days. 

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

I wish we had a station that uses flex here. This is the follow up post

Nah, you're good. It won't bother anything. And to be honest, you should just throw Regular in it all the time, you won't get any benefit from Mid/Premium. It's running either the 2.4 or 3.6, should be no problem at all.

Save yourself the money.

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Thinking about it, if you have a mechanic that you trust you might ask them as well.  (Emphasis on trust.)

I don't even know if my guy is still around. I know a lot of shade tree mechanics but they're a little iffy. They'll tell me something just to ensure I bring my car to them lol

1 minute ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Most modern cars can adjust. You will just lose some power and fuel economy if your car is rated for something higher than what you are using. It isn't recommended for long periods, but it won't kill your car like old days. 

1 minute ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Nah, you're good. It won't bother anything. And to be honest, you should just throw Regular in it all the time, you won't get any benefit from Mid/Premium. It's running either the 2.4 or 3.6, should be no problem at all.

Save yourself the money.

These Kroger fuel points about to mean so much more. They saved me Sunday. I was about to drop $3 per for mid. 

1 minute ago, GEORGIAfan said:

They've actually switched the approach. Before, they would advance timing when they saw good gas. They don't anymore.

Basically, your ECU will start at the grade that it says in the manual. So, for his, it's probably 87. Ideal performance is at 87. Going to 91/93 won't actually run any better. Now, if you drop down to 85 or something, you would have issues.

My car is different. It's built for Premium, I've had it tuned for premium, so anything other than premium ******* timing. If I were to drop mid in mine, that's equivalent to about 50hp gone. If I drop to 87, I'm dropping the tank and draining it, or I'm babying it until I can get it filled with premium.

Flex is different. It has better cooling properties, and the ethanol essentially raises the octane. So something like e85 is actually like 108 octane. E54 is 105. With that said, expect about 30% lower fuel economy.

You guys done got me nerding out about cars and fueling systems...

1 minute ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

They've actually switched the approach. Before, they would advance timing when they saw good gas. They don't anymore.

Basically, your ECU will start at the grade that it says in the manual. So, for his, it's probably 87. Ideal performance is at 87. Going to 91/93 won't actually run any better. Now, if you drop down to 85 or something, you would have issues.

My car is different. It's built for Premium, I've had it tuned for premium, so anything other than premium ******* timing. If I were to drop mid in mine, that's equivalent to about 50hp gone. If I drop to 87, I'm dropping the tank and draining it, or I'm babying it until I can get it filled with premium.

Flex is different. It has better cooling properties, and the ethanol essentially raises the octane. So something like e85 is actually like 108 octane. E54 is 105. With that said, expect about 30% lower fuel economy.

You guys done got me nerding out about cars and fueling systems...

Man you just went complete dork. 

I love it lol

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: Prince of Darkness (1987) Thread