The ABF Classic Film Series: Prince of Darkness (1987) Thread

5 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

I love the idea that there’s like this endless stream of $80k a year jobs if only more people would be willing to work hard enough for them. Sure, there are some that go unfilled. But our system is premised on underpaying people - it simply can’t accommodate everyone earning decent wages.

Not endless and not 80k (atleast not initallly) but there are indeed industries that are in dire need of people.

There has indeed been a shortage in the trades for a long time.

I can speak more intelligently on the mortgage world but I know of several lenders who are hiring processors off the street with no experience required and they are paying starting wages of over $20 an hour( closer to 25) and many of them are paying per file bonus's.

And it is not just one or 2 lenders ...it is most of the bigger ones.

Even super entry level customer service type gigs for mortgage companies are paying $17,18+ an hour.

And the jobs themselves are not hard...at all, it is just having to put up with the BS that comes with working with the public and how dikish the mortgage company.....spoiler alert...most can be very dikish. Turnover is pretty high at most lenders for that reason.

So we can acknowledge that a ton of people have lost their jobs and there is a need to help those is real and it is serious but on the flip side we can also acknowledge that there are opportunities for people that they are not seizing for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

So we can acknowledge that a ton of people have lost their jobs and there is a need to help those is real and it is serious but on the flip side we can also acknowledge that there are opportunities for people that they are not seizing for whatever reason.

A big part of it is simply not being aware that those jobs exist or not knowing how to find them. 

Just now, Corn Pop said:

Young people need to stop complaining and learn how to code/snake a toilet.

It's possible for the minimum wage to not be acceptable and for a large portion of young people (not all or even the majority) to be lazy as ****. I don't think it's necessarily unique to this generation like a lot of people are saying but there are things about the time we live in that exacerbate it too

I’m not sure this is a good substitute for an actual increase in the minimum wage...

I’m also not sure that a penalty for not paying $15/hour would be as good as directly raising the minimum wage to $11/hour.  I’d like to see some evidence about how the penalty would work on the ground.

5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Not endless and not 80k (atleast not initallly) but there are indeed industries that are in dire need of people.

There has indeed been a shortage in the trades for a long time.

I can speak more intelligently on the mortgage world but I know of several lenders who are hiring processors off the street with no experience required and they are paying starting wages of over $20 an hour( closer to 25) and many of them are paying per file bonus's.

And it is not just one or 2 lenders ...it is most of the bigger ones.

Even super entry level customer service type gigs for mortgage companies are paying $17,18+ an hour.

And the jobs themselves are not hard...at all, it is just having to put up with the BS that comes with working with the public and how dikish the mortgage company.....spoiler alert...most can be very dikish. Turnover is pretty high at most lenders for that reason.

Yup. The industry is starving for good people. So much so that bad employees are being held on to because they know the position will remain empty.

With that said, it's an easy transition from a mortgage processing/OPs role to a role similar to mine. Just need to take some initiative in learning the tech side. I just hired a dude who went from processing to the admin role. He's starting with us at $130k...

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

It's possible for the minimum wage to not be acceptable and for a large portion of young people (not all or even the majority) to be lazy as ****. I don't think it's necessarily unique to this generation like a lot of people are saying but there are things about the time we live in that exacerbate it too

Socrates and Aristotle used to complain about how young people have become lazy, too. 

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

That could be absolutely true, and I'm not accepting it as true, but what is easily provable is that the middle class has been absolutely pillaged over the last several decades and the conversation yesterday just seemed counterproductive considering the situation. Certain statements could have been pulled right off of Hannity.

7 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

People need to stop complaining and learn how to code/snake a toilet.

At least it's a paycheck that will put food in your children's stomach vs. crying on twitter waiting for a moneybag to fall out of the sky.

10 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

This is one of the laziest thoughts man has ever shouted into the ether. 

4 minutes ago, Sponge said:

At least it's a paycheck that will put food in your children's stomach vs. crying on twitter waiting for a moneybag to fall out of the sky.

How many electricians, plumbers, and mortgage servicers do they need in the parts of rural Georgia that @Aleksandr sportolli and me drive thru for work, or that town where @lostone’s in-laws live?

Even for trade jobs, there are frequently barriers to entry that make it difficult for people at the lowest income levels to suddenly switch to that. Some of those barriers are more subtle than others.

And, it still doesn’t address the point that we have a number of industries that thrive because of paying poverty wages. If every single person that worked in those industries found jobs paying much higher wages, those businesses and industries with theoretically collapse. That’s the point. The system is built on under paying people, and no amount of good plumbing jobs and coding jobs will change that.

it’s why we need some fundamental changes, at least, so that we’re not dependent on a system requiring mass amounts of wealth getting transferred up the ladder.

3 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

Socrates and Aristotle used to complain about how young people have become lazy, too. 

Probably because many young people (again, not even the majority) are some flavor of lazy until they figure out how the world works? It's a part of growing up and having your needs met by other people for most of your life before that point. I'm a "young people," I'm literally talking about people I know. I agree with plenty of what you say, but right now you're just coming off flippant.

4 minutes ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

That could be absolutely true, and I'm not accepting it as true, but what is easily provable is that the middle class has been absolutely pillaged over the last several decades and the conversation yesterday just seemed counterproductive considering the situation. Certain statements could have been pulled right off of Hannity.

I get what you're saying, but the "counterproductive" argument is the same reason people are saying not to criticize Biden. Insert thing over here that's worse and the GOP, so why criticize him? I think both are ******** tbh. Everything deserves criticism as long as you aren't honing in on one thing exclusively. Be holistic, otherwise you're serving an agenda (not "you" you, this is to anyone).

16 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

A big part of it is simply not being aware that those jobs exist or not knowing how to find them. 

100%.

Also part of it is perception.

People assume that you need a degree and all kinds of experience to get into banking...when you don't.....also it is still brought to me occasionally that people in my profession helped bring down the economy 13 years ago. So you get people who have heard nothing but" the banks are greedy.... they just want to take your money"

Which is.....kinda true but still people don't want to work in the field because of that.

2 minutes ago, Corn Pop said:

How many electricians, plumbers, and mortgage servicers do they need in the parts of rural Georgia that @Aleksandr sportolli and me drive thru for work, or that town where @lostone’s in-laws live?

More you can imagine. But you wouldn't know because you haven't actively sought out a trade job. You're just assuming rural Georgia has no running water, electricity, carpenters, etc?

The rural Georgia angle is pointless anyways because trade jobs require travel. So it doesn't matter where you live, you're gonna be on the road, trust me.

20 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I’m not sure this is a good substitute for an actual increase in the minimum wage...

I’m also not sure that a penalty for not paying $15/hour would be as good as directly raising the minimum wage to $11/hour.  I’d like to see some evidence about how the penalty would work on the ground.

Yeah that gets appealed immediately as soon as it is passed... That just won't happen.

1 minute ago, Sponge said:

More you can imagine. But you wouldn't know because you haven't actively sought out a trade job. You're just assuming rural Georgia has no running water, electricity, carpenters, etc?

The rural Georgia angle is pointless anyways because trade jobs require travel. So it doesn't matter where you live, you're gonna be on the road, trust me.

I’m pretty familiar with rural Georgia. What they have a lot of is minimum wage jobs.

5 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Probably because many young people (again, not even the majority) are some flavor of lazy until they figure out how the world works? It's a part of growing up and having your needs met by other people for most of your life before that point. I'm a "young people," I'm literally talking about people I know. I agree with plenty of what you say, but right now you're just coming off flippant.

I get what you're saying, but the "counterproductive" argument is the same reason people are saying not to criticize Biden. Insert thing over here that's worse and the GOP, so why criticize him? I think both are ******** tbh. Everything deserves criticism as long as you aren't honing in on one thing exclusively. Be holistic, otherwise you're serving an agenda (not "you" you, this is to anyone).

I just can't agree man. Considering the state of income inequality in the US rivaling third world countries, the absolute ****ty workers rights we have, and being in a deep recession for the second time in 13 years I just have. I interest in talking about Gen z's work ethic and framing the conversation around that. And that's what was happening. These kids just aren't working hard enough for it.....as if it's just Gen Z who is being affected.

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: Prince of Darkness (1987) Thread