The ABF Classic Film Series: Prince of Darkness (1987) Thread

3 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Is the criticism here about the amount of the checks or about when they would go out?  

1 minute ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

While campaigning in Georgia before tomorrow’s runoff elections, President-elect Joe Biden said Americans could receive $2,000 COVID-19 relief checks if Democratic candidates Jon Ossoff and the Rev. Raphael Warnock are elected to the Senate.

Video Transcript

JOE BIDEN: By electing John and the Reverend, you can make an immediate difference in your own lives, the lives of people all across this country, because their election will put an end to the block in Washington of that $2,000 stimulus check, that money that will go out the door immediately to help people who are in real trouble. Think about [? what it ?] will mean, to your lives, putting food on the table, paying rent, paying your mortgage, paying down the credit card, paying the phone bill, the gas bill, the electric bill.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/biden-says-warnock-ossoff-elected-223508221.html

Both! Again that promise was made to my family, to me.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

While campaigning in Georgia before tomorrow’s runoff elections, President-elect Joe Biden said Americans could receive $2,000 COVID-19 relief checks if Democratic candidates Jon Ossoff and the Rev. Raphael Warnock are elected to the Senate.

Video Transcript

JOE BIDEN: By electing John and the Reverend, you can make an immediate difference in your own lives, the lives of people all across this country, because their election will put an end to the block in Washington of that $2,000 stimulus check, that money that will go out the door immediately to help people who are in real trouble. Think about [? what it ?] will mean, to your lives, putting food on the table, paying rent, paying your mortgage, paying down the credit card, paying the phone bill, the gas bill, the electric bill.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/biden-says-warnock-ossoff-elected-223508221.html

"Think about [? what it ?] will mean, to your lives, putting food on the table, paying rent, paying your mortgage, paying down the credit card, paying the phone bill, the gas bill, the electric bill"

Somebody read this paragraph back to me and tell me it's a success that people might get some funds to cover some these things 45 to 60 days (while those costs only got larger) after the "immediately" period kicked in

10 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

What else did they over promise and are threatening to under deliver on?

I mean it's only been barely over a month so we will have to wait and see.

But as a Georgian I was told quite specifically that if we deliver the senate that $2000 checks are going out the door immediately.

A few weeks ago I was told.....wellllll when he said $2000 checks.....

And now it's (not you) wellllllll when he said immediately....

10 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Three months as in it's already been one month....we can possibly expect the reconciliation to be settled sometime in this next month and depending on how long that takes people will receive thier stimulus sometime in the next 30 days after that.

Also the flip side to "day one" promises is a exorbitant amount of criticism when you don't actually successfully follow thru on them.

If they want the rewards of those promises they must also reap the criticisms when they come up short or else what are we even doing?

And every politician uses the same lofty “Day One” type rhetoric.  Again, it would be nice if they would be honest and realistic about timelines.  It would also be nice if voters didn’t attack them for being honest and did not reward their opponents for using that lofty rhetoric.  That’s why I said in the grand scheme of things, I think the amount of time and energy given to this is overblown.  It’s pretty standard practice in politics.  Bernie Sanders had a laundry list of “Day One” promises he made during the primary, as well.  Doubtful he would have been able to make good on all of them in his first day in office.

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

The first post didn’t mention a timeline.  Not sure why you’re posting those quotes because nobody disputes what was said.  I’ve already addressed that.

Joe Biden came to Georgia before the runoff and told Georgians that if they elected Ossoff and Warnock, $2,000 checks would go out immediately to help folks pay rent and put food on the table. That was a colossal **** up, if we’re going to quibble about the procedural hurdles of accomplishing that should have been known by the guy who spent 47 god dam years in Washington.

Unless he, you know, forgot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everything has political reality to it I'm not all that interested in hearing about it after you chose to ride that issue to electoral success . (Heck we pushed them to make those promises on this very board back in December) For random example the reality is there is a human cost and a legislative hurdle to completely pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan but most people these days would probably agree its legitimate to criticize a politician who for instance said we'd pull out period then didn't.

For the record I don't regret any of my votes these past 5 months. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Joe Biden came to Georgia before the runoff and told Georgians that if they elected Ossoff and Warnock, $2,000 checks would go out immediately to help folks pay rent and put food on the table. That was a colossal **** up, if we’re going to quibble about the procedural hurdles of accomplishing that should have been known by the guy who spent 47 god dam years in Washington.

Unless he, you know, forgot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, nobody is disputing what was said.  You’re responding to an argument that I never made.

If people want to argue with me, could y’all kindly argue with the posts that I’ve made instead of arguments/positions I never stated?  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

And every politician uses the same lofty “Day One” type rhetoric.  Again, it would be nice if they would be honest and realistic about timelines.  It would also be nice if voters didn’t attack them for being honest and did not reward their opponents for using that lofty rhetoric.  That’s why I said in the grand scheme of things, I think the amount of time and energy given to this is overblown.  It’s pretty standard practice in politics.  Bernie Sanders had a laundry list of “Day One” promises he made during the primary, as well.  Doubtful he would have been able to make good on all of them in his first day in office.

21 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Three months?  They’ve only been in control for one month.  

Let’s be honest, though...how badly would people have mocked and attacked them if they had spent December on the campaign trail saying, “if you elect us then we’ll send checks after going through an arcane procedural rule called reconciliation process that can take some time to play itself out because Republicans will threaten to filibuster, but after several weeks we will be able to bypass the filibuster and send the checks out sometime in March or April”?

SHOULD politicians be honest about the tedious nuances of congressional procedure?  Sure.  But the reality is that there’s an electoral penalty for that because “I’ll do this on Day One” gets more votes than “here’s the long, messy process we’ll have to go through to get this thing you want.”

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

Everything has political reality to it I'm not all that interested in hearing about it after you chose to ride that issue to electoral success . (Heck we pushed them to make those promises on this very board back in December) For random example the reality is thier a human cost and a legislative hurdle to completely pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan but most people these days would probably agree its legitimate to criticize a politician who for instance said we'd pull out period then didn't.

For the record I don't regret any of my votes these past 5 months. 

Yeah, 1/6 justified, for me, personally, my votes for Biden, and Ossoff and Warnock twice (meaning once in November and once in the special runoff in case any TATF chud is lurking here). I mean, it ******* sucks that I voted for Ossoff, after 1/6 it confirmed it was right as to me and me alone. 

1 hour ago, AF89 said:

Kinda lowkey makes me sad that because Julio took over the position alot of future younger generation fans prolly want even know much about Roddy beyond his name in the future 

I agree. Gimme the guy who wants to score touchdowns. 

13 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

If Bernie were elected and didn't accomplish on his promises then yes he would have deserved the criticism. It was honestly my biggest hang up about voting for Bernie cause I didn't think most of his agenda was going to be allowed to be possible. Yes thier would be a reality where its other factional forces actually holding up the agenda and they would deserve alot of the criticism too (only with alot more vehemence and I think we all agree here Republicans are ghouls) but it wouldn't really change the fact that Bernie promised something he knew he wouldn't actually do or was ignorant of how he thought he could actually do it.

11 minutes ago, AF89 said:

If Bernie were elected and didn't accomplish on his promises then yes he would have deserved the criticism. It was honestly my biggest hang up about voting for Bernie cause I didn't think most of his agenda was going to be allowed to be possible. Yes thier would be a reality where its other factional forces actually holding up the agenda and they would deserve alot of the criticism too (only with alot more vehemence and I think we all agree here Republicans are ghouls) but it wouldn't really change the fact that Bernie promised something he knew he wouldn't actually do or was ignorant of how he thought he could actually do it.

And if people were harping on a delay in his “Day One” agenda every day, multiple times a day (again, not you) then I would have said the same thing about such criticism being overblown.  

But we both know that if that had happened the complaints wouldn’t have been aimed at Bernie but at the people causing the delay.  

7 minutes ago, Aleksandr sportolli said:

I mean there's an easy solution here that has nothing to do with twitter or us....

Don't say you're going to do a thing that you can't do. Be clear on messaging. And don't go shooting off your mouth in a place that you don't think you can actually win.

What should they have said about the checks, then?

And again nothing that has happened so far would make me retroactively want to change my vote in the slightest I was already voting Biden/Ossoff/Warnock before they promised us $2000 checks, we even sat in here in the previous Trump thread and argued that if they wanted to win Georgia they need to get out in front and really push the messaging about checks and early on most of us didn't even think they were doing enough on that front.

But I don't think we waive our right to criticism either the longer it goes by without those boxes being checked

I really do think the fact that this is an Atlanta board adds to it. I mean the promise was made to us (Georgians) after weeks of us saying run on the checks, we did our part (**** ossoff though), we celebrated when we delivered the impossible, and now on here we can ***** about every single thing that they haven't delivered on that was promised to us. Miscommunication or not.

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

What should they have said about the checks, then?

See this is where it gets weird for me.

Deliver the senate and $2000 checks go out immediately......I mean basically everybody agrees that the $2000 checks was a bad messaging issue......including you. A lot of folks are now saying okay yeah he probably shouldn't have said immediately either without going into detail.

Sooooo......why are you asking me this question? We've moved from too much time is being spent on this issue too "What should they have said then?".

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: Prince of Darkness (1987) Thread