The ABF Classic Film Series: Prince of Darkness (1987) Thread

honestly i think sports in this country will continue to be pretty multipolar, each major sports league will have no problem maintaining a certain level of popularity that leagues elsewhere could only dream of having.  

will be interesting to see what happens to the mls in the wake of us hosting the world cup again in a few years. 

4 minutes ago, achilles return said:

and in 2019 the mlb had a total attendance of 68 million seats. the next closest league is japan's professional baseball league, with ~25 million. the nfl is ~17 million.

like i said, it's not even close.

Yeah but you could also say more people purchased a ticket to Zootopia in 2016 (or something along those lines) than went to an NFL or MLB game but I still wouldn't say Zootopia is more popular than football or baseball 

Just now, AF89 said:

Yeah but you could also say more people purchased a ticket to Zootopia in 2016 than went to an NFL or MLB game but I still wouldn't say Zootopia is more popular than football or baseball 

Canceling Zootopia because it's copaganda broke my heart

ALL cops ...

5 minutes ago, achilles return said:

and in 2019 the mlb had a total attendance of 68 million seats. the next closest league is japan's professional baseball league, with ~25 million. the nfl is ~17 million.

like i said, it's not even close.

And in 2018 revenue was 10.5 billion with 69 million seats. Its going down. 

1 minute ago, The Monarch said:

Canceling Zootopia because it's copaganda broke my heart

ALL cops ...

I mean I completely made that up I dont know how many people saw Zootopia just had to brainstorm a middling blockbuster

11 minutes ago, achilles return said:

honestly i think sports in this country will continue to be pretty multipolar, each major sports league will have no problem maintaining a certain level of popularity that leagues elsewhere could only dream of having.  

will be interesting to see what happens to the mls in the wake of us hosting the world cup again in a few years. 

MLS threatning to merge with LIGA Mx every few years could have wildly different prospects for its future particularly the more Hispanic our population looks. (Particularly when/if soccer country predominant Hispanic immigrants come in faster than baseball predominant country ones)

Way way more people go to MLB games than NBA and yet thiers no question MLB has slipped behind NBA for no.2 just like they dropped past NFL in the 70s despite again way more attendance 

14 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I might be the only person on this continent who misses the World Baseball Classic tho 👀

If only pitchers didn't have to unnaturally brutalize thier arm to do the basic function of thier position baseball could have been a fantastic international sport played in the offseason 

*breaks out spreadsheet he created for MLB/Nippon top heavy champions league bracket*

33 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Yeah but you could also say more people purchased a ticket to Zootopia in 2016 (or something along those lines) than went to an NFL or MLB game but I still wouldn't say Zootopia is more popular than football or baseball 

oh yeah i mean football is clearly the most popular sport

22 minutes ago, AF89 said:

If only pitchers didn't have to unnaturally brutalize thier arm to do the basic function of thier position baseball could have been a fantastic international sport played in the offseason 

*breaks out spreadsheet he created for MLB/Nippon top heavy champions league bracket*

Top 2 in NL to miss playoffs 

Top 2 in AL to miss playoffs

1 MLB Wildcard 

Top 3 Nippon teams in thier standings 

1 K League champion

1 at large given to a winner of a seperate Latin Leagues tournament which Im pretty sure they actually already do irl

Dope the pitchers up on roids and let's make this happen 

1 minute ago, achilles return said:

i think your reaction on where nba/mlb are is being shaded by an oversaturation of reactions from our peer group. is nba over mlb among millennials and younger? sure. overall? not yet, i don't think.

I guess I'm  basing it on individual marketability of athletes and injection of Chinese money and ratings which really isn't part of a American popularity debate 

I guess I would say NBA is the 2nd most popular league FROM America in the same way EPL is marketed to fans outside England and Wales and La Liga owns the south western hemisphere 

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: Prince of Darkness (1987) Thread