The ABF Classic Film Series: Alien (1979) Thread

44 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

That's not good. It's one thing to happen in game. But at this particular age, it's not good at all for them to teach this style

Don't disagree, but there's a reason the South churns out football players. It's just on a different level.

I remember one time our QB got injured and I was the backup, so I got thrown in. The DT lining up over center was over 200 lbs. I was in 6th grade. He literally threw the center out of the way every play. True fear is being a child running away from another child that looks like they could (and have) eaten other kids your size

Meanwhile, if it was not official before, it is certainly official now:  The Republican Party is about Authoritarianism, not Democracy as Liz Cheney is ousted from her House leadership position in favor of someone less Conservative, but more willing to show fealty to Donald Trump

Pretty good speech last night by my Colorado College classmate who's substantive policy positions I detest.  (I've been pretty hostile towards her on her Twitter account.)

And her statements after getting ousted this morning:

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

It's true tho. Pretty sure I had multiple concussions in middle school football when I lived there. We ran that drill all the time.

Me too. Now I know where my drain bamage came from. 

1 minute ago, Downvote Don said:

Meanwhile, if it was not official before, it is certainly official now:  The Republican Party is about Authoritarianism, not Democracy as Liz Cheney is ousted from her House leadership position in favor of someone less Conservative, but more willing to show fealty to Donald Trump

Pretty good speech last night by my Colorado College classmate who's substantive policy positions I detest.  (I've been pretty hostile towards her on her Twitter account.)

She stood up for what is right and it cost her. Hundreds of honest republicans should leave the party.

12 minutes ago, Southern California Liar said:

And now I'm headed home because I only have enough gas to get home and about a 20 mile radius to get some gas tomorrow hopefully.

Didn't miss a single minute when the world shut down but ignorant panicking dickwads only took two days to make it happen. 

I have to make a six hour drive this evening across the south to attend a funeral tomorrow. A bit worried about getting stuck somewhere because some genius decided to fill his entire truck bed with gas, or something.

29 minutes ago, Downvote Don said:

No, I think we should continue to wait to declare that the Republicans the party of Authoritarians. I don't have a reason for holding this opinion; it just feels like, since we've gone this far thinking they'll change, we can't just give up now and say all that time was wasted.

I'm not going to read @Serge's reply to my Cheney tweet before responding to him:  His take that this is the media's fault is a horrible take.

edit:

No, I think we should continue to wait to declare that the Republicans the party of Authoritarians. I don't have a reason for holding this opinion; it just feels like, since we've gone this far thinking they'll change, we can't just give up now and say all that time was wasted.

OK, Glad to get that wrong.  But tell me who around here has asserted that the Party was anything BUT Authoritarian since Trump got the nomination.  @Leon Troutsky has posted about this extensively since then, and even before in discussing Trump's supporters during the primary.

8 minutes ago, Downvote Don said:

I'm not going to read @Serge's reply to my Cheney tweet before responding to him:  His take that this is the media's fault is a horrible take.

edit:

OK, Glad to get that wrong.  But tell me who around here has asserted that the Party was anything BUT Authoritarian since Trump got the nomination.  @Leon Troutsky has posted about this extensively since then, and even before in discussing Trump's supporters during the primary.

Buddy, you did, by suggesting they weren't already all the way gone. Literally two days ago you were still trying to talk yourself into the Republican party being more redeemable than it is.

On 5/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, Downvote Don said:

Any predictions on which way this vote goes?

It is a secret ballot.  So I think Cheney pulls it out again.  A slight majority of Congressmen will keep Liz in her post, a HUGE majority will express outrage afterwards.

1 hour ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I'm beginning to think that rich politicians may be a bit out of touch. 

Only two really got it wrong.  The rest were at least in the ballpark.  And I’d still like either of those two to tell me where the median home price is $100k or less anywhere in the country right now.  

3 minutes ago, Serge said:

Buddy, you did, by suggesting they weren't already all the way gone. Literally two days ago you were still trying to talk yourself into the Republican party being more redeemable than it is.

That's a fair point. 

1 hour ago, Downvote Don said:

The simple fact that she has become the voice of reason just as you just how sad the state of the GOP is.

11 minutes ago, Downvote Don said:

That's a fair point. 

Why do you think you didn't notice that you were the one creating doubt about the nature of the Republican party in a community where almost everyone leans left?

There’s definitely a part of the Republican Party that’s redeemable in the sense that they don’t want to go full trumpzi. The question I have is do they pay lip service and still hit the booth and vote authoritarian or do they vote opposite of their instincts or just not vote at all. 

I have been having such a hard time getting work started recently. My procrastination has seeped into my job big tim. Normally I rely on routine to keep it in check but my routine has started out with coffe and switch dr Mario. 

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: Alien (1979) Thread