The ABF Classic Film Series: Alien (1979) Thread

And this is my biggest problem with "hate crimes". It establishes a legal hierarchy of motives for the same ghastly crimes.

Suppose this guy was a religious extremist who thought these massage places were corrupting society and that was his motivation.  Is that a better or worse reason to kill 8 people as opposed to just hating Asians?

But one motive is more likely to carry a harsher punishment. Is that just? 

16 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Shid, We gonna start Friday and finish Sunday. Going to squeeze in Mortal Kombat, Godzilla vs Kong, Tom and Jerry and Justice league all for $15. HBO Max for the win

BeeTV app on my shieldtv has all those for free 

29 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

He could conceivably be both a sex addict and racist, or both a sex addict and a full-avowed white supremacist.  It's telling that he chose to direct his hatred of feelings of arousal towards Asian-American women, as has been pointed out already he didn't go shoot up any white or black strip clubs.  He wanted to punish Asian-American women specifically for his sexual hangups, allegedly. 

Or maybe he's lying and thought they all brought Covid.  We don't know yet. 

20 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Either he intentionally targeted Asians, or he intentionally targeted women. Possibly both.

I find it very unseemly when someone on social media is trying to explain to me which is a worse reason to slaughter eight people.

17 minutes ago, Serge said:

The biggest problem, to me, with arguing about whether it was racism "or" misogyny is that it's already missing a vital third component to his motivations; he's clearly dumb as ****in' rock. I mean look at that face. Look at his hair. The smartest conversation that guy ever participated in was him and two other guys figuring out how to cook Bagel Bites in the toaster oven without burning the pepperoni bits.

13 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

And this is my biggest problem with "hate crimes". It establishes a legal hierarchy of motives for the same ghastly crimes.

Suppose this guy was a religious extremist who thought these massage places were corrupting society and that was his motivation.  Is that a better or worse reason to kill 8 people as opposed to just hating Asians?

But one motive is more likely to carry a harsher punishment. Is that just? 

Another possibility, particularly given his age, is that he was a prediagnosed schitzophrenic.

It is possible that the killer was also, in part, a victim of another sort.

But the Sherriff was clearly sympathetic to the shooter.  It is possible that the Sherriff is sophisticated in mental illness and therefore looking out for him . . . OR he's just a racist SOB.

23 minutes ago, Serge said:

The biggest problem, to me, with arguing about whether it was racism "or" misogyny is that it's already missing a vital third component to his motivations; he's clearly dumb as ****in' rock. I mean look at that face. Look at his hair. The smartest conversation that guy ever participated in was him and two other guys figuring out how to cook Bagel Bites in the toaster oven without burning the pepperoni bits.

I had to drive to Wrightsville yesterday, I stopped at a gas station to fill up before I left town and saw a, um, confused young man. Truck with loud mufflers that was jacked up in the front, but lowered in the back, had a sticker on the back windshield that said "keep em clappin" (and also a YETI sticker), fishing poles in the bed of the truck, a girl in the front seat in a camo jacket.  He filled up his truck while the engine was still running. 

He got out of the truck and had his jeans tucked into the top of his boots, a trucker hat turned every so slightly to the side, what looked like pretty bad acne scars, but when he walked it was with one of the most pronounced gangsta' leans I've ever seen. 

He probably caught me staring.  I imagine he uses the Hard "er" alot, while also blaring rap from his ****ty truck speakers. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I had to drive to Wrightsville yesterday, I stopped at a gas station to fill up before I left town and saw a, um, confused young man. Truck with loud mufflers that was jacked up in the front, but lowered in the back, had a sticker on the back windshield that said "keep em clappin" (and also a YETI sticker), fishing poles in the bed of the truck, a girl in the front seat in a camo jacket.  He filled up his truck while the engine was still running. 

He got out of the truck and had his jeans tucked into the top of his boots, a trucker hat turned every so slightly to the side, what looked like pretty bad acne scars, but when he walked it was with one of the most pronounced gangsta' leans I've ever seen. 

He probably caught me staring.  I imagine he used the Hard "er" alot, while also blaring rap from his ****ty truck speakers. 

And that being Herschel Walker's hometown, I'm sure he refers to Herschel as "one of the 'good' ones".

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I say call him on his bluff. Let the world see them opposing voting rights to that extreme. 

Before it gets there, I think the Democrats should make sure they are presenting a very clean bill.  Ie, JUST voting rights, nothing tangential at all.  Right now I think there might be some remotely partisan stuff.  Take it all out.  Then let the Republicans screw themselves.

8 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I say call him on his bluff. Let the world see them opposing voting rights to that extreme. 

I have been saying this for decades! They ALMOST called their bluff with the second Impeachment, they need to do it now! 

6 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Snyder is really trying to indulge that inner Watchman again like every scene is some drawn out indy unplugged score

The Bad and the Beautiful perfectly describes the problem with every Snyder movie.

Shields: You call that directing?
Von Ellstein: That is what I've been calling it for thirty-two years.
Shields: Why, there are values and dimensions in that scene you haven't begun to hit.
Von Ellstein: Dare say not the values and dimensions I wish to hit. I could make this scene a climax. I could make every scene in this picture a climax. If I did, I would be a bad director. And I like to think of myself as one of the best. A picture with all climaxes is like a necklace without a string. It falls apart. You must build to the big moment and sometimes, you must build slowly. You see this picture one way, and I another. It will be done your way, but not by me, and not by any other director who respects himself. You know what you must do, Mr. Shields, so that you'll have it exactly as you want it? You must direct this picture yourself. To direct a picture, a man needs humility. Do you have humility, Mr. Shields?

9 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

And that being Herschel Walker's hometown, I'm sure he refers to Herschel as "one of the 'good' ones".

I'd never been therefore, it's not a straight shot down the highway, and I gotta ******* go back next week, leaving my house at 6:30 am again.  I really don't want to go again after that, but I suspect I'll have to.

55 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I was gone all day yesterday and wasn't here for the discussion of his heinous murders.  I saw this earlier today.  I have no idea if he was a sex addict or not, I don't know that he was a "white supremacist," but I do know the crimes appear to clearly be racially motivated, and the dumb  *** also spilled the beans to cops before lawyering up.  They'll seek the death penalty against him, I don't know why he would have confessed without a lawyer present to make sure they took injection off of the table for life w/o parole.

If his problem was "simply" a sex addiction, there were plenty of strippers and hookers that he could have shot up in Atlanta (and any major city, BTW) on his way to the three Asian massage parlors. He had a very specific fixation and acted out on it. Does that mean that he "hates" Asian people? Nope. Does it mean that he's a racist? Yep. Does it also mean he's a misogynist with a psychotic bent? Absolutely. The mitigation of his reasons for committing the crime are ridiculous. Trying to humanize a monster is as nonsensical and infuriating to me as taking Dylann Roof to Burger King after he was captured.

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Never heard of such a thing...death panels in socialized medicine?  Say it ain't so, Joe. 

You're too smart to buy into the "death panels" talking point. So why are you dealing in misinformation?

• Mr. Hoopah! changed the title to The ABF Classic Film Series: Alien (1979) Thread