What we learned about Falcons’ plans from Terry Fontenot, Arthur Smith - The Athletic

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fontenot did not say he will draft the QB if he is sitting at 4. This is an opinion piece with some cherry picked Fontenot quotes sprinkled in. QB is not usually a BPA pick, if it was teams would have

by Jeff Schultz for The Athletic   The day before the nation begins anew, the Falcons held their own inauguration day Tuesday. It went pretty much as expected. They introduced their new coac

Jeff Schultz seems really invested in the Falcons moving on from Julio and Matt. He never mention under performing players like Allen, Davision, Bailey, Carpenter, Fowler.

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Yep. For how long? It is difficult to find The Franchise.

I hear you Timmy.

But there’s several positions on this team in obvious need of fixing, frankly QB should be at or near the bottom of positions that truly need to be addressed.

I say address QB in a couple years when the end for Ryan is much clearer.

16 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

How to get the Franchise if the team is 8-8  or 7-9?

This is my point. They would have to send multiple draft choices via the draft or a trade.

How many top 5 QB have succeeded? The true franchise QB in a decade is Russell Wilson, a third round pick. Mahomes was 10, Watson at 12. Lamar Jackson at 32. Dak Prescot in mid rounds. Top 5, you got marriota, Blake Bortles, Winston, Trubisky, Sam Darnold. Only Guy in top 5 with marginal success is Goff. Wentz outside of the 11 games in 2017 is looking like a bust.
This narrative of you need top 5 pick is funny. 

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

How many top 5 QB have succeeded? The true franchise QB in a decade is Russell Wilson, a third round pick. Mahomes was 10, Watson at 12. Lamar Jackson at 32. Dak Prescot in mid rounds. Top 5, you got marriota, Blake Bortles, Winston, Trubisky, Sam Darnold. Only Guy in top 5 with marginal success is Goff. Wentz outside of the 11 games in 2017 is looking like a bust.

The depth of the draft class matters though.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:24 PM, mattyicefalcon said:

Fowler, 

Davidson 

Ricardo 

And possibly Julio (trade bait) are gone

How is Fowler gone? His 2021 cap hit is $18.5M while his dead cap is $15.3M. We’d only be saving around $3M by releasing him. I don’t see anyone trading for him either. We’re locked into him for 1 more year.

14 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

How to get the Franchise if the team is 8-8  or 7-9?

This is my point. They would have to send multiple draft choices via the draft or a trade.

I just think it’s too soon to worry about the how. 

Franchise QBs are not a guarantee at top of draft, there’s a graveyard full of them (Wentz/Darnold/Trubisky/Winston/Mariota/Bortles are  all recent examples)....plus plenty of HOF caliber QBs came later in draft (besides Brady and Montana, see Brees, Wilson, Lamar Jackson), Matt Schaub was a 3rd rounder, Derek Carr and Kirk cousins are better than most QBs taken before them. 

12 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

LOL 007, you literally took the words right out of my mouth!

But you can’t kiss me!