What we learned about Falcons’ plans from Terry Fontenot, Arthur Smith - The Athletic

1 minute ago, jidady said:

I can already tell that Schultz is setting up the lazy, thoughtless motif that we should take a QB. Later, after we do the obvious thing and pick a football player who will help in 2021, he will spend the next few years talking up whichever QB does well that we skipped.

Mr. Schultz, if you read this board, please aim higher than that. I ask you sincerely. In fact, I encourage you to sit down in front of your laptop and write an article that justifies why this team would draft a QB. I'll even lead you down the path.

When we played Tampa Bay, we were a terrible Tom Brady pass away from giving up scores on all their possessions (before the final Victory formation).

How does a QB fix that, especially when allowing for the fact that we have a former MVP at the position whom everyone agrees has plenty of acceptable football ahead of him?

Also, in what reality is taking the #3 or #4 player at a single position a smart move for a team picking #4 in the draft?

You're setting up a lazy straw man. As a beat writer for a team I love on a site to which I subscribe, I'm asking you to think about the situation in more detail rather than in a way that makes your job easier.

This isn't a slam or dig. I cover stories for a living, too, and I know how challenging the constant news cycle can be. The "BPA must be a QB" thing doesn't pass my laugh test, though. I'm asking you to put some thought into why you think it would pass yours. In fact, there's a 13-page (and counting) thread on this very board that shows how absurd most people consider that #HotTake to be.

You could have just stopped right there and most of is would have gotten your point.

That is pretty much his MO.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fontenot did not say he will draft the QB if he is sitting at 4. This is an opinion piece with some cherry picked Fontenot quotes sprinkled in. QB is not usually a BPA pick, if it was teams would have

by Jeff Schultz for The Athletic   The day before the nation begins anew, the Falcons held their own inauguration day Tuesday. It went pretty much as expected. They introduced their new coac

Jeff Schultz seems really invested in the Falcons moving on from Julio and Matt. He never mention under performing players like Allen, Davision, Bailey, Carpenter, Fowler.

3 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

You could have just stopped right there and most of is would have gotten your point.

It would be a professional discourtesy to discredit someone like that. I'm sure the writer has his reasons. I'm merely asking -- and I guess pitching an article -- that he support the notion that drafting a QB at #4 (or even #20) helps the Falcons in 2021.

3 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

You REALLY seem adamant to move on from him.

Truth is, he counts too much against the cap, so even if the Falcons wanted to move on from him, they're still incurring a huge cap penalty. So may as well hold onto him. Second point, he's still playing well, and he'll benefit greatly from Arthur Smith's offense and playcalling, so I don't understand why some are in a hurry to want to move on from him. The cost/benefit literally makes zero sense.

I REALLY don’t care...

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

3 hours ago, jidady said:

It would be a professional discourtesy to discredit someone like that. I'm sure the writer has his reasons. I'm merely asking -- and I guess pitching an article -- that he support the notion that drafting a QB at #4 (or even #20) helps the Falcons in 2021.

I wonder who pays Athletic to read his garbage. 

7 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Seems like Titans fans biggest criticism for Smith is he pulled Henry on 3rd and short downs. Sounds familiar to pulling Julio on 3rd downs.. Overall, I believe we got the best HC available considering EB's off field issues 

Think we got a great one with Smith but what’s EBs off field issues? I’ve missed it

7 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Look at where Fontenot came from.  What is the last "big splash" move the Saints made?  Jarius Byrd maybe?

That ought to be an object lesson if so.

Subtly, I think it could be Jameis Winston. I think that has a chance to work out (if they choose to go that route). The Saints probably didn't expect to be drafting at 4, so maybe that successor move won't translate to the Falcons, but it does give some precedence. 

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

Think we got a great one with Smith but what’s EBs off field issues? I’ve missed it

Whats so ridiculous is to hear Shannon Sharp talk like all teams blackball EB for no reason at all.. To hear him and skip talk about teams skipping over him today you would think he was the love child of Vince Lombardi and the Pope.. They are a prime reason why you never trust social media or YouTube stars.. Usually the truth is hidden by feel good lies 

25 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Whats so ridiculous is to hear Shannon Sharp talk like all teams blackball EB for no reason at all.. To hear him and skip talk about teams skipping over him today you would think he was the love child of Vince Lombardi and the Pope.. They are a prime reason why you never trust social media or YouTube stars.. Usually the truth is hidden by feel good lies 

There’s a reason EB hasn’t been hired. 

10 hours ago, falcons007 said:

. QB is not usually a BPA pick, if it was teams would have first round back up QB and other positions with undrafted rookies. 

QB not usually a BPA pick for sure. But, if you are ready to draft Ryan's successor, and there is what you consider a franchise QB there, then you take them. We just don't know what their thinking on this is yet. 

48 minutes ago, fuego said:

QB not usually a BPA pick for sure. But, if you are ready to draft Ryan's successor, and there is what you consider a franchise QB there, then you take them. We just don't know what their thinking on this is yet. 

This is not even about Ryan. If you think you have QB in draft, you trade Ryan for starters at other positions to win. I doubt Arthur Smith wants to sit a number 4 pick and take Ryans 40 M cap hit. If He doesn’t win in next two seasons, he won’t have much time on his reportedly 3 year contract. If Ryan was 39 and QB was huge problem with rest of roster loaded, he would have more options. 
Bottom line the guys who are paid to win have different take on how they want to win. 

10 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

You REALLY seem adamant to move on from him.

Truth is, he counts too much against the cap, so even if the Falcons wanted to move on from him, they're still incurring a huge cap penalty. So may as well hold onto him. Second point, he's still playing well, and he'll benefit greatly from Arthur Smith's offense and playcalling, so I don't understand why some are in a hurry to want to move on from him. The cost/benefit literally makes zero sense.

There is a counter outlook that the Falcons my not have an opportunity to draft a highly regarded player who handles the ball every play for the foreseeable future. Remember MR2 was 3.

I am not a QB evaluator, and I know what MR2 has done for the Falcons and the fans. I would not be mad to get one of the top four and sit him while Ryan rules in the new offence. Rogers sat for two? years.

With less time to scout and less time to actually get a feel for a guy it doesn’t make sense to me to go QB this year.No Combine aswell less interview time and medical and throw in we are basically turning the inside of the Branch upside down with staff it makes even less sense.

You got to be really tuned into the areas where the team really needs help and swing hard at them.Don’t spread yourself thin.

9 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

There is a counter outlook that the Falcons my not have an opportunity to draft a highly regarded player who handles the ball every play for the foreseeable future. Remember MR2 was 3.

I am not a QB evaluator, and I know what MR2 has done for the Falcons and the fans. I would not be mad to get one of the top four and sit him while Ryan rules in the new offence. Rogers sat for two? years.

Rodgers was drafted coz Favre said he would retire, only to flip flop few years. Packers got tired of the yearly drama and finally started Rodgers in 2008. Rodgers wasn’t picked too 5. Also, that GB team was loaded and winning consistently.
Name few QB after 2008 selected in top 5, who are around or played up to top 5 potential? None, in fact QB have been duds at top of the draft. 

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

With less time to scout and less time to actually get a feel for a guy it doesn’t make sense to me to go QB this year.No Combine aswell less interview time and medical and throw in we are basically turning the inside of the Branch upside down with staff it makes even less sense.

You got to be really tuned into the areas where the team really needs help and swing hard at them.Don’t spread yourself thin.

I don’t think Arthur Smith is thinking about draft. He will have his plan and see what pieces are needed to put in place. AS is not gonna wait years for a top pick to start or waste 40 M on a back QB. TATF in off season gets attached to players and start throwing up weird scenarios. You draft a QB, you trade Ryan.