https://overthecap.com/2021-compensatory-draft-picks-update-11-17-2020/

Do anybody know if this is a valid list?

Would mean 3 extra picks with "Best Player" available strategy. Nice for depth if true.

Picks would be

First Round: 1

Second Round: 1

Third Round: 1

Fourth Round: 1

Fifth Round: 3

Sixth Round: 2

Seventh Round: 0

That would be 9 new players in the first 6 rounds. Imagine if we could switch that number 4 pick to a pick in the top 10 and additional second and third round selections. That would mean really nice depth.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://overthecap.com/2021-compensatory-draft-picks-update-11-17-2020/ Do anybody know if this is a valid list? Would mean 3 extra picks with "Best Player" available strategy. Nice for depth

There is no limit per round, there is a limit in total of 32, as 256 is the most picks in a draft.

For sure. From everything I've seen about Fontenot I think the Falcons came out on top. 

Yes.  They are normally very accurate.  Only thing I think that could change it is hiring of minority HC/GM.  I’m not 100% sure how that is put in, but since two were hired so far it would add two third round comp picks this year and next, which could bump our second 5th to a 6th.  I could be wrong, we will see how those comes into play.

3 minutes ago, Rings said:

Yes.  They are normally very accurate.  Only thing I think that could change it is hiring of minority HC/GM.  I’m not 100% sure how that is put in, but since two were hired so far it would add two third round comp picks this year and next, which could bump our second 5th to a 6th.  I could be wrong, we will see how those comes into play.

We don't get comp picks for hiring Fontenot.  The Saints will get an additional 3rd this year and an additional 3rd next year.  They will be at the end of the 3rd like the other comp picks for signed free agents.

AS doesn't apply because he's not a minority.

1 minute ago, athell said:

We don't get comp picks for hiring Fontenot.  The Saints will get an additional 3rd this year and an additional 3rd next year.  They will be at the end of the 3rd like the other comp picks for signed free agents.

No I know.  I’m saying there are only so many comp picks available.  So if they add a third round pick to the Saints, that could drop every comp pick after that down a slot.  It’s still unknown exactly how they will implement it.

6 minutes ago, Rings said:

No I know.  I’m saying there are only so many comp picks available.  So if they add a third round pick to the Saints, that could drop every comp pick after that down a slot.  It’s still unknown exactly how they will implement it.

I don't think there is a limit on comp picks?  At least I didn't think there was?

Tho this sheds some light on that...these minority picks would come after player comp picks.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/14/nfl-compensatory-picks-for-minority-coaches-and-executives-explained/

Those third-round picks will come after the compensatory picks that are awarded to teams for losing free agent players. We don’t yet know how many third-round compensatory picks will be awarded for losing free agents, but if there were five regular third-round compensatory picks, those would be picks Nos. 97-101. Then the first compensatory pick for losing a minority player or executive would be No. 102.

Just now, athell said:

I don't think there is a limit on comp picks?  At least I didn't think there was?

Tho this sheds some light on that...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/14/nfl-compensatory-picks-for-minority-coaches-and-executives-explained/

Those third-round picks will come after the compensatory picks that are awarded to teams for losing free agent players. We don’t yet know how many third-round compensatory picks will be awarded for losing free agents, but if there were five regular third-round compensatory picks, those would be picks Nos. 97-101. Then the first compensatory pick for losing a minority player or executive would be No. 102.

I don’t believe there’s a limit to how many picks will be awarded to which round. I know a recent draft had a bunch of 3rd round compensatory picks. I think the only limit is that the NFL gives out the same number of total compensatory picks a year. 

19 minutes ago, FalconOdense said:

https://overthecap.com/2021-compensatory-draft-picks-update-11-17-2020/

Do anybody know if this is a valid list?

Would mean 3 extra picks with "Best Player" available strategy. Nice for depth if true.

Picks would be

First Round: 1

Second Round: 1

Third Round: 1

Fourth Round: 1

Fifth Round: 3

Sixth Round: 2

Seventh Round: 0

That would be 9 new players in the first 6 rounds. Imagine if we could switch that number 4 pick to a pick in the top 10 and additional second and third round selections. That would mean really nice depth.

Not too dissimilar than 2008 when we had a good amount of draft picks... except I think we had an extra second and 3rd.

It would be nice to flip the number 4 to add another 2 or 3 picks this year and another pick or two in 2022

1 minute ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I am Assuming he meant BPA in a way where he would have a group of guys in mind for any pick and pick the guy from that BPA list with building a full roster in mind. 

Yeah. Fontenot was very clear, He said the picks will be in specific areas on what the team needs. I don’t think he will be like TD to pick a particular position set, but multiple positions of need on roster.

3 minutes ago, athell said:

Tho this sheds some light on that...these minority picks would come after player comp picks.

There is no limit per round, there is a limit in total of 32, as 256 is the most picks in a draft.

3 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I am Assuming he meant BPA in a way where he would have a group of guys in mind for any pick and pick the guy from that BPA list with building a full roster in mind. 

I believe falcons007 more or less is being satirical on posters here that believe BPA means QB at 4 no matter what. 

14 minutes ago, athell said:

It seems weird to me to reward the team that gave up the person being hired and not the team doing the hiring.

Just now, Jesus said:

It seems weird to me to reward the team that gave up the person being hired and not the team doing the hiring.

I thought so too, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Gives organizations incentive to prop up minorities while making it so that teams looking for a HC/GM aren’t abusing the rule just to gain extra draft capital. 

Just now, Atlantafan21 said:

I thought so too, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Gives organizations incentive to prop up minorities while making it so that teams looking for a HC/GM aren’t abusing the rule just to gain extra draft capital. 

For sure.

From everything I've seen about Fontenot I think the Falcons came out on top. 

1 hour ago, Rings said:

That doesn't go into affect for 2 years after the hire. The candidate has to remain in the position for 2 years in order to get those picks.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

So Falcons are going to pick 3 more QB with BPA strategy, if the QB is BPA?

Nobody is really saying that though.  A lot goes into who is the best player available, including positional value.  That doesn't mean you refuse to take a WR because he is a WR and you have a good WR corps, but obviously in most cases an equally talented QB is going to go before the WR because QB is a more important position.

But then, you also have to look at draft range.  A first round QB is going to be valued higher than a mid-round QB in most cases.  But a 2nd to 3rd round RB might be valued higher than the equivalent QB, again assuming all else is equal.  Why?  The RB can contribute immediately and be a productive starter.  

There is a reason teams prize OT, Edge, corners, WRs, LBers, DT, OG, OC and QBs in the 1st round, especially higher up.  Those positions give you a lot of bang for the buck there and they are all harder to find in terms of value later on.  Sure, you'll get a Tom Brady or Jerry Rice once in a lifetime, but usually, those guys are drafted higher for a reason.  And obviously, the most talented kicker in the draft isn't as valuable as the 5th best QB because QB has greater positional value.

You can reduce all of this to absurdly simplistic views, which is what I'd say you've done with this post.  What most of us are talking about is emphasis -- do you draft talent or do you draft for need?  The perfect marriage is when you have both -- best talent at a position of need.  Taking positions off the board is inconsistent with that.  Ridley at 26 was head and shoulders the best player available, unless someone wants to argue Lamar Jackson (and I'll listen solely based on positional value).  But then, the fact that there is even a discussion goes to show it isn't a simple calculation.  A lot more goes into it than the dueling caricatures of "we have to get a corner" versus "we cannot possibly take a WR or QB."