Jump to content

New Falcons GM Terry Fontenot: ‘It’s never a bad thing to add to a strength’


Recommended Posts

Just now, falcons007 said:

Let me get this straight, a QB who is counting 40M in cap or a top 4 pick is going to be a back up on a  team with multiple starters missing  at other positions? If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Arthur Smith and Fontenot end up on hot seat after first year, if the team loses again.

Well let me set you straight, I clearly stated I doubt a QB is BPA. 
 

1. You can fill holes outside the draft so the assumption we’d have multiple starters missing is just that...a blind assumption.

 

2. We don’t know what road map they laid out for Arthur Blank, so hot seats or not is again, an assumption.

 

3. A draft pick is not something that should be used as a plug resource. A draft pick is on a tailored contract for multiple years, they are basically futures. You don’t HAVE to start draft picks if you take care of holes in other ways. All that said, a draft pick can win a starting job if they can beat out the competition in place in front of them.

 

For example, let’s say we take Sewell, Parsons, or Chase, high profile prospects that are not QBs that we have established starters at already. Would you want any of them starting over a vet just because of draft position?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What’s funny is that those that want a QB at 4 would have to first admit to Matt Ryan being a strength.

by Will McFadden for AtlantaFalcons.com     Tuesday likely marked the easiest day in Terry Fontenot's tenure as the Atlanta Falcons' general manager, but it's hard to imagine him gettin

GREAT responses on two key points: 1. Talent > Need 2. Don't disclose to the press what you wouldn't want other teams to know  The fact that he referenced Newsome shows he understand

8 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

Well let me set you straight, I clearly stated I doubt a QB is BPA. 
 

1. You can fill holes outside the draft so the assumption we’d have multiple starters missing is just that...a blind assumption.

 

2. We don’t know what road map they laid out for Arthur Blank, so hot seats or not is again, an assumption.

 

3. A draft pick is not something that should be used as a plug resource. A draft pick is on a tailored contract for multiple years, they are basically futures. You don’t HAVE to start draft picks if you take care of holes in other ways. All that said, a draft pick can win a starting job if they can beat out the competition in place in front of them.

 

For example, let’s say we take Sewell, Parsons, or Chase, high profile prospects that are not QBs that we have established starters at already. Would you want any of them starting over a vet just because of draft position?

I want you to show me a team that you think is a 'bpa' drafting team.

I will show you where they used draft picks to plug holes.

You HAVE to use draft picks to plug holes. Not always, but that is why there's a salary cap. You can't just go out and sign 50 vets to plug all of your holes....

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

Well let me set you straight, I clearly stated I doubt a QB is BPA. 
 

1. You can fill holes outside the draft so the assumption we’d have multiple starters missing is just that...a blind assumption.

 

2. We don’t know what road map they laid out for Arthur Blank, so hot seats or not is again, an assumption.

 

3. A draft pick is not something that should be used as a plug resource. A draft pick is on a tailored contract for multiple years, they are basically futures. You don’t HAVE to start draft picks if you take care of holes in other ways. All that said, a draft pick can win a starting job if they can beat out the competition in place in front of them.

 

For example, let’s say we take Sewell, Parsons, or Chase, high profile prospects that are not QBs that we have established starters at already. Would you want any of them starting over a vet just because of draft position?

1. You can fill holes outside the draft so the assumption we’d have multiple starters missing is just that...a blind assumption.

How do you fill gaps when the backup takes 40M in cap space along with top pick in your draft? Falcons are anywhere from 24M-32 M over the cap. So to get under the cap, they have to cut more starters. They can't trade or sign any one in FA with the cap issues, they can barely get under the cap. Now post June 1 trade is pretty much useless to land good FA in march. It will be same left overs TD signed late in the offseason.

2)We don’t know what road map they laid out for Arthur Blank, so hot seats or not is again, an assumption.

Sure, But what is not an assumption is AB said, he wants to win now and doesn't expect multi year rebuild. He expects the team to win SB sooner than later. Another 4-12 season, AB has to put butts in the stadium or get the ratings up. AB is not getting any younger on top of everything.

3) Sure, a Mid round pick or a second round pick can sit behind. But in the year/years when Cap is probably going to be lower than 2020, Your first round pick is premium. 

This whole QB thing is too complicated to make it work with some one as back up. Arthur Smith pretty much implied he won't see major changes. He wants to maximize the core and sure roster will look different. 

Last but not the least, first guy to run out of town if the QB gamble at top 5 doesn't work is GM and HC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I want you to show me a team that you think is a 'bpa' drafting team.

I will show you where they used draft picks to plug holes.

You HAVE to use draft picks to plug holes. Not always, but that is why there's a salary cap. You can't just go out and sign 50 vets to plug all of your holes....

Exactly, they may end up drafting same positions every year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I want you to show me a team that you think is a 'bpa' drafting team.

I will show you where they used draft picks to plug holes.

You HAVE to use draft picks to plug holes. Not always, but that is why there's a salary cap. You can't just go out and sign 50 vets to plug all of your holes....

I’d be interested how you quantify who drafts by need vs BPA without knowing their draft board besides taking what they say at face value.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

1. You can fill holes outside the draft so the assumption we’d have multiple starters missing is just that...a blind assumption.

How do you fill gaps when the backup takes 40M in cap space along with top pick in your draft? Falcons are anywhere from 24M-32 M over the cap. So to get under the cap, they have to cut more starters. They can't trade or sign any one in FA with the cap issues, they can barely get under the cap. Now post June 1 trade is pretty much useless to land good FA in march. It will be same left overs TD signed late in the offseason.

2)We don’t know what road map they laid out for Arthur Blank, so hot seats or not is again, an assumption.

Sure, But what is not an assumption is AB said, he wants to win now and doesn't expect multi year rebuild. He expects the team to win SB sooner than later. Another 4-12 season, AB has to put butts in the stadium or get the ratings up. AB is not getting any younger on top of everything.

3) Sure, a Mid round pick or a second round pick can sit behind. But in the year/years when Cap is probably going to be lower than 2020, Your first round pick is premium. 

This whole QB thing is too complicated to make it work with some one as back up. Arthur Smith pretty much implied he won't see major changes. He wants to maximize the core and sure roster will look different. 

Last but not the least, first guy to run out of town if the QB gamble at top 5 doesn't work is GM and HC.

I’m not a cap guru, I don’t think anybody on this board will claim they are one either. You make the cap work how you make the cap work.

 

You again are assuming we have another 4-12 season if we don’t hit on a first rounder. So if we take Sewell, and he doesn’t beat out Matthews, and he plays poorly at LG or something, that automatically means we’re going 4-12? I really hope you aren’t one of the guys that constantly said this didn’t look like a 4-12 team. Actually, I won’t assume. Do you feel like this team is as barren of talent as we showed over the course of last year?

 

Youre stuck on QB when I’ve said multiple times I doubt we go QB. Regarding how complicated it would be to make it work, I don’t think building a good NFL team is exactly simple regardless. That’s why the people building team are paid so well with teams of experts to help them along the way.

 

And I really hope we don’t have a staff that declines to make choices they believe to be right, for fear of being ran out of town if they’re wrong. I don’t know a leadership position where that isn’t the case. If you make decisions that hurt your team, you won’t be leading that team for long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

What’s funny is that those that want a QB at 4 would have to first admit to Matt Ryan being a strength.

he is, hes also 36 and has a big contract we can move on from as early as next year. Just have to have a bit of perspective

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, falcons007 said:

This whole BPA talk is pointless when it comes to QB. There is only one starting QB and the rest are backups. Now if you are talking about other positions on trenches, Skill positions. You can always add a starter or upgrade and have them play a big role. I don’t see teams who draft BPA drafting QB every year.

Agreed. It's nice to say, but get real. BPA is a WONDERFUL philosophy coming up to draft day, but what is actually going to happen when the time comes. It's GM "Coach Speak".

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I’ve always longed for a BPA guy, but I’ll have to see it in action before I buy it. It takes large  ones to take a guy like Sewell at 4, for instance, rather than the top defender, whoever that is. 

And what if your board says Smith or Chase are the top guys? No one seriously believes we would draft a WR at 4. 😄

^This

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

GREAT responses on two key points:

1. Talent > Need

2. Don't disclose to the press what you wouldn't want other teams to know 

The fact that he referenced Newsome shows he understands what a great GM is supposed to be doing. 

Well I'm sure plenty of great NBA players quote Michael Jordan, and understand what a great player should be doing, but...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

I’d be interested how you quantify who drafts by need vs BPA without knowing their draft board besides taking what they say at face value.

What teams do you think draft BPA? BPA is a great philosophy that can rarely become a practice because everybody is under immense pressure to win and win fast. These guys are playing for jobs constantly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PapaJoe said:

What if the BPA is a WR ?

Do we really want to pay Ridley the money he will command on his new contract?

Is Ridley a true #1 WR capable of replacing Julio straight up if Julio were to be finished soon?

What if we grabbed the best WR at 4 and he was ready to replace Ridley and/or Julio in one to two seasons as the #1?

 

I would rather not take a WR at 4. I would actually like to trade back or take the OT from Oregon. 

As far as Ridley replacing JJ, no. He's good, but he's not JJ good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

Well he’d compete first year, and if Ryan wins the competition, he’d sit on the bench. That’s the point of drafting a strength with BPA, nobody is safe. 

 

That said, I seriously doubt a QB is the BPA at pick #4 with 2 teams that are very likely to pick QB ahead of us, and one team who could easily trade out to a QB hungry team or replace a rookie QB the locker room ain’t in love with.

 

The years of using the draft to fill out our roster are gone and I love that. You draft potential long term, not rookie year, which takes away the NEED to have a starter out your 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick. You plug with vets.

No rookie is going to come in and "beat" MR out for the starting job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

I’m not a cap guru, I don’t think anybody on this board will claim they are one either. You make the cap work how you make the cap work.

 

You again are assuming we have another 4-12 season if we don’t hit on a first rounder. So if we take Sewell, and he doesn’t beat out Matthews, and he plays poorly at LG or something, that automatically means we’re going 4-12? I really hope you aren’t one of the guys that constantly said this didn’t look like a 4-12 team. Actually, I won’t assume. Do you feel like this team is as barren of talent as we showed over the course of last year?

 

Youre stuck on QB when I’ve said multiple times I doubt we go QB. Regarding how complicated it would be to make it work, I don’t think building a good NFL team is exactly simple regardless. That’s why the people building team are paid so well with teams of experts to help them along the way.

 

And I really hope we don’t have a staff that declines to make choices they believe to be right, for fear of being ran out of town if they’re wrong. I don’t know a leadership position where that isn’t the case. If you make decisions that hurt your team, you won’t be leading that team for long.

NFL is not as simple as just take BPA and it works. FA and draft go hand in hand to build a complete team. I am against picking a player at top 4 to sit behind some one, tackle, WR and QB are the positions I wouldn't touch. The BPA could be a FS,SS,CB,LB, DE or a DT, or even a LG. And it doesn't have to be at #4. Trade down gather picks and draft a BPA.  

No one is saying staff is afraid to make choices. But the reality of the business is QB can make or break the careers of the coaches. Imagine a coach picking a top 5 QB, trading Ryan and bombs in first two years. The same folks who are asking for QB will be ready to run them out of town. AS and TF aren't sitting there thinking, how should I replace Julio, Ryan,Mathews or some player. They are trying to build a winning team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

What teams do you think draft BPA? BPA is a great philosophy that can rarely become a practice because everybody is under immense pressure to win and win fast. These guys are playing for jobs constantly.

I’d be lying if I said I follow any other teams as hard as I follow Falcons. I do remember reading Ozzie Newsome state he’s always looking for the best player available over need though. Off the top of my head, I don’t remember another GM openly stating they go BPA over need.

 

Again, I can only take a GM for his word because I don’t know the draft board or draft strategy for that team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

NFL is not as simple as just take BPA and it works. FA and draft go hand in hand to build a complete team. I am against picking a player at top 4 to sit behind some one, tackle, WR and QB are the positions I wouldn't touch. The BPA could be a FS,SS,CB,LB, DE or a DT, or even a LG. And it doesn't have to be at #4. Trade down gather picks and draft a BPA.  

No one is saying staff is afraid to make choices. But the reality of the business is QB can make or break the careers of the coaches. Imagine a coach picking a top 5 QB, trading Ryan and bombs in first two years. The same folks who are asking for QB will be ready to run them out of town. AS and TF aren't sitting there thinking, how should I replace Julio, Ryan,Mathews or some player. They are trying to build a winning team. 

What if the compensation you get for the trade down isn’t something you want. What if the range of picks you want to trade down to, don’t want to trade up. What if, what if, what if...just because one strategy is on the forefront of this conversation doesn’t mean other strategies aren’t in play. I’m sure if we get a package worth something, our FO will make the right decision on trading down or staying out. But you can’t force a trade down. I agree though, trading down is an option if we get a reasonable package.

 

And yes, the NFL ain’t a simple business. I wasn’t claiming it was. I simplified a plan because I don’t know the FO’s plan, just talking about our GM saying it’s never a bad decision to draft positions of strength. Which can lead to fan favorites being demoted, or rookies sitting, or even rookies/vets possibly playing out of position at a lower level while the logjam corrects itself.

 

The same folks who ask for any position and don’t get a high level player at that position, regardless if we drafted that position or not, will want their head if they pick wrong. People clamoring for Najee Harris will question Arthur Smith’s scheme if he doesn’t produce, people that want Sewell will question Font if he ends up Baker bad, you’d question the FO if they struck out Browns bad with additional picks in a trade down. That’s part of the game, fans will question mediocrity, regardless what path they take.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I would have rather had Matt than Tua and Burrow. Way to cherry pick.

I wasn't cherry picking.  I would also take Burrow over Ryan for past season; Tua no, not for 2020, but I would take him going forward over Ryan. Along with several other QBs for that matter.

None of that is a slight to Ryan. But if I'm playing GM then I want a QB that gives me a chance to win now AND for another 10 to 12 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...