Arthur to Call his own Plays

2 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

I love it and hate it at the same time. We all witnessed how Quinn could not juggle HC and defense at the same time. I feel confident in his playcalling, but please surround him with sound coaching so he can handle all aspects before him

I wouldnt have mattered with quinn. Loved what he did for the team but his success was built around his offensive coordinators, it wasnt because of his coaching.

2 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

I love it and hate it at the same time. We all witnessed how Quinn could not juggle HC and defense at the same time. I feel confident in his playcalling, but please surround him with sound coaching so he can handle all aspects before him

Quinn couldn't even handle TOs, Challenges, and Defense .

On 1/19/2021 at 3:34 PM, KCFalcon22 said:

2 questions for my fellow Falcons. 

How do most of you feel about Arthur calling his own plays?  The reason that I ask this is bc a lot of people here didn't want Bieniemy to call his own plays if he got the job. 

How do you think a 1st time coach handles both play calling and overseeing the team as a whole?  Be nice to hear what everyone's thoughts are on this.

I love that Smith is calling the plays.  He has proven over the last two years that he is an elite playcaller.  My concern with EB was that he really had no history in the NFL calling full games and I didn’t want him learning on the job in ATL.  Smith is a known commodity.  

Where does Smith’s offense rank when compared to all other offense’s over the past 20 years:

• Redzone Scoring: 1st Overall

• Yards Per Play: 2nd Overall

• Yards Per Carry: 1st

• Total Scoring: 4th (1st if you only count once Tannehill took over)

• QBR: 1st Overall

6 hours ago, KCFalcon22 said:

How do most of you feel about Arthur calling his own plays?  The reason that I ask this is bc a lot of people here didn't want Bieniemy to call his own plays if he got the job. 

How do you think a 1st time coach handles both play calling and overseeing the team as a whole?  Be nice to hear what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Bieniemy don't call plays now... Andy call plays

6 hours ago, KCFalcon22 said:

This is going to be good

10 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I love this hat Smith is calling the plays.  He has proven over the last two years that he is an elite playcaller.  My concern with EB is he really had no history in the NFL calling full gamesmanship and I didn’t want him learning on the job in ATL.  Smith is a known commodity.  

Where does Smith’s offense rank when compared to all other offense’s over the past 20 years:

• Redzone Scoring: 1st Overall

• Yards Per Play: 2nd Overall

• Yards Per Carry: 1st

• Total Scoring: 4th (1st if you only count once Tannehill took over)

• QBR: 1st Overall

My man, I can always count on you with what matters most.  THE STATS, I wonder who was #1 in Yards per play.

With many of the great head coaches calling the plays, it’s only right that I expect the same from Arthur. I know it will be a lot in his first year. Hopefully the Falcons got it right and he’s a dynamic coach that is successful for a long time. We have been through a lot with coaches. Time for some consistency!!

16 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I love it.  I would have been fine with Bieniemy doing it too, though.

I love it mainly because we won't have too many growing pains if the OC gets a head coaching job down the road.  Continuity on offense has been terrible since Ryan got here.

exactly...this having a coordinator for 2-3 years sucks. Say what you want about Matt Ryan, but every OC he has had has become a head coach. 

17 hours ago, Romfal said:

big fan and the main reason I wanted an offensive coach. No chance of Shanahan happening all over again where we have a good thing going and they get a HC job and we have to bring in somebody else to do a patch job and it all goes down the toilet. its a lot easier to replace a defensive coordinator in my mind.

Exactly.  In the past I just wanted the best coach...this time I wanted the best offensive coach for this exact reason.  Offensive coaches had been promoted at a 4-1 ratio going into last year.  Even if we get a really good up DC, there will be less likelihood of losing them than if we did it the other way around.  3/4 Ryan’s OCs got promoted to HC after here...in fairness Sark is now a HC coach too, just in college lol.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:16 PM, dodge_birds_fan said:

To play devil's advocate, what happens if he sucks at managing both?

Well the answer is easy. We either get him help with playcalling such as giving Ragone more responsibility, or we give him an in-game manager the way DQ used Bob Sutton. But to you question, we can ask this “what if he sucks at his job” question for anybody on the team. Not sure what it accomplishes. 

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Well the answer is easy. We either get him help with playcalling such as giving Ragone more responsibility, or we give him an in-game manager the way DQ used Bob Sutton. But to you question, we can ask this “what if he sucks at his job” question for anybody on the team. Not sure what it accomplishes. 

Not trying to accomplish anything, just wanted to know the protocol for such an event.... Sheesh