Jump to content

Matt Ryan, establishing a culture, first official interview with Falcons Head Coach Arthur Smith


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder if he's fired up? In seriousness, not the most eloquent guy in the world, but I'm sure his head is spinning right now with everything he's got going on. Did like hearing the thoughts on

“Smart team and good at situational football.” Man I sure hope that becomes true. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Smitty won because of situational football, he had crappy coordinators and talent. Smitty also was old school, not creative. 

If you only played the first half Mile Smith would have gone down as the one of the greatest coaches of all time

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, direwolf said:

I wonder if he's fired up?

In seriousness, not the most eloquent guy in the world, but I'm sure his head is spinning right now with everything he's got going on. Did like hearing the thoughts on how the organization was a selling point for him - further puts the hammer down on the folks saying this wasn't an attractive position.

Really hope he follows through on accountability - that, I think, is what was most lacking from the team from 2017-2020. 

Why do you say that he's not the most eloquent guy in the world.  Are you saying that he isn't as persuasive?  My mind didn't think about eloquence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr.Blank said:

If you only played the first half Mile Smith would have gone down as the one of the greatest coaches of all time

His problem was third qtr but Falcons were best 4th quarter finishers in NFL. He rarely blew leads, except the NFCG. The wheels fell off after the Talent left in 2012.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

His problem was third qtr but Falcons were best 4th quarter finishers in NFL. He rarely blew leads, except the NFCG. The wheels fell off after the Talent left in 2012.

Well, that and Koetter's vision of the offense came to fruition.  They should have been spending mad picks and FA money on o-line with Koetter coming in wanting to run a Coryell system.  Instead, they put in a 2nd and 3rd rounder as starters, and it turned out neither of them were up to the task of Koetter's "let's make everything hard on everybody" brand of offense.

Oh, and Smith and Nolan couldn't figure out what kind of defense they were going to run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Well, that and Koetter's vision of the offense came to fruition.  They should have been spending mad picks and FA money on o-line with Koetter coming in wanting to run a Coryell system.  Instead, they put in a 2nd and 3rd rounder as starters, and it turned out neither of them were up to the task of Koetter's "let's make everything hard on everybody" brand of offense.

Oh, and Smith and Nolan couldn't figure out what kind of defense they were going to run.

Well, Nolan wanted LB to run 3-4. TD didn't even get any, the Falcons had to start Worrilow and Bartu. TD blew it from 2012-2015. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, falcons007 said:

Well, Nolan wanted LB to run 3-4. TD didn't even get any, the Falcons had to start Worrilow and Bartu. TD blew it from 2012-2015. 

Not only that, but they were basically arguing in the press over what kind of system we were running.  Nolan would say one thing, Smith would correct him.  It was like 2 dogs, having different heads but tied together at the tails.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Not only that, but they were basically arguing in the press over what kind of system we were running.  Nolan would say one thing, Smith would correct him.  It was like 2 dogs, having different heads but tied together at the tails.

If they couldn't figure out what they were running then it shouldn't be a surprise when the GM couldn't find the players to be in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Not only that, but they were basically arguing in the press over what kind of system we were running.  Nolan would say one thing, Smith would correct him.  It was like 2 dogs, having different heads but tied together at the tails.

I do remember that, Falcons got Paul S and Tyson Jackson in FA but then tune changed by the time camp rolled in with lack of personnel. It was a big mess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, falcons007 said:

GM found players alright, they didn't last the training camp. Didn't we waste multiple picks on LB in 2013 and 2014. TD was a big reason the team lost its way. 

I don't disagree with that, but I will say apparently Koetter's "make everything as hard as possible" offensive philosophy spilled over into communication between the staff and FO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, falcons007 said:

I agree. I was talking about the Defense too. Horrible outside of Trufant and Alford. 

Man, those linebackers you were talking about.  Malicah Goodman and his long arms.  Cliff Matthews.

These boards were all convinced we'd found a bunch of gems.  

Anyone remember Spinbury?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JDaveG said:

Man, those linebackers you were talking about.  Malicah Goodman and his long arms.  Cliff Matthews.

These boards were all convinced we'd found a bunch of gems.  

Anyone remember Spinbury?

Prince Shembo, Spruiell or what ever. There were more and then TD bragging about picking up backup safeties as starters in 6th and 7th rounds? I May have forgotten some more..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Killing Floor said:

I cannot imagine this not being at least top 2 opportunity for a qualified HC candidate. Sure. Rough season, it’s done. Sure, we have work to do. 
But of the clubs shopping coaches who has more pieces in the pipeline?  Who has as clear a path (near, 2 seasons) to a late run?  I get lashing out at last year or last coach or last play. But we are years ahead of teams like Texans or Jags.

I agree Detroit is close too, LAC too if I take off my fan shirt. But No Way Jets or Jags get there sooner. And Texans is a coaching death trap now. 
I see us in a pretty good position all things considered. Guess what I’m saying is Suck it, Bleacher Report!

I used to read B/R, but I was wasting too much of my day trolling their moronic articles in the Comments Section.  :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, fuego said:

That’s not what I was told in another thread where they’re watching the news conference.

In the news conference he said he would definitely be calling plays and was specifically asked about balancing that with HC responsibilities. My takeaway is that this man wants to build a winning foundation in ATL and won't shift blame for his own failures while holding others accountable for theirs no matter who they may be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...