Hiring of Terry Fontenot is official

2 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I’ll admit I thought it was Houston.   Looks like we got the cream of the crop for both positions.

Props to you for man-ning up Zilla. There’s like 30 more in here laying low that need to enjoy a cook out with you soon.

We kept a list, hired these boys to supervise the BBQ, and invitations will go out as soon as pandemic is over........🤪

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much for all the pundits and the parrots in here claiming Atlanta was not in the running for the top tier coaching/GM candidates, eh?    Where all those navel-gazers run off to?

FONTED!!!

1 hour ago, Fiercefalcon said:

For all the apparent meddling McKay does, I don't suppose we wanna give him props for landing top shelf candidates?

Honestly, I always thought Blank was doing the meddling.  But in any event, McKay hit a home run with these hires I think.  As much as we hate on the Quinn hire, I think he did the best of the 2015 HC hires other than arguably Kubiak, who actually rode a great defense to the Super Bowl.  So I never got the whole "we're going to blow it again" schtick.  Quinn took us to a Super Bowl and should have won it.  The wheels came off after that, and while I think a lot of that was Blank inserting himself into the process, I certainly can't prove that.

In any case, Quinn was a good hire at the time, and this appears to be too.  That's all you can really ask for, because the alternative is to make a bad hire and nobody wants that.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

So much for all the pundits and the parrots in here claiming Atlanta was not in the running for the top tier coaching/GM candidates, eh? 

Where those navel-gazers run off to?

not sure you can blame any falcons fan for being cynical hahaha

7 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Honestly, I always thought Blank was doing the meddling.  But in any event, McKay hit a home run with these hires I think.  As much as we hate on the Quinn hire, I think he did the best of the 2015 HC hires other than arguably Kubiak, who actually rode a great defense to the Super Bowl.  So I never got the whole "we're going to blow it again" schtick.  Quinn took us to a Super Bowl and should have won it.  The wheels came off after that, and while I think a lot of that was Blank inserting himself into the process, I certainly can't prove that.

In any case, Quinn was a good hire at the time, and this appears to be too.  That's all you can really ask for, because the alternative is to make a bad hire and nobody wants that.

Truth on Quinn. He was universally acclaimed as an excellent hire at the time. 

Where I disagree is it was the choking in SB51 that ruined him. My only fault with blank is giving him 2 more years after 2018.

Biggest task for new guy smith is getting rid of that stigma that’s been allowed to settle in this organization. 

28 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

not sure you can blame any falcons fan for being cynical hahaha

53 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Props to you for man-ning up Zilla. There’s like 30 more in here laying low that need to enjoy a cook out with you soon.

We kept a list, hired these boys to supervise the BBQ, and invitations will go out as soon as pandemic is over........🤪

He’ll man, I’m not blaming them. I’m going to the expense of putting on a cookout just for them. You’re welcomed to join in. 🙃

27 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Seriously though, Quinn was highly regarded and who most folks wanted in 2015.  Coaches and GM's are a crap shoot, and Quinn unfortunately didn't work out (in spectacularly frustrating fashion). I feel much better about Smith than, say, the Lions hiring Dan Campbell. 

1 hour ago, FalconBlood23 said:

Falcons Hire Terry Fontenot as Next General Manager

Jenna West
1 hour ago
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Falcons have hired Saints vice president/assistant general manager for pro personnel Terry Fontenot as their new general manager, the team announced on Tuesday.

"When we started this process we were focused on finding someone that not only has a track record of identifying key building blocks that result in successful teams, but also someone who focuses on cohesive relationships within the building. We feel very strongly that we've found that individual in Terry Fontenot," Falcons owner Arthur Blank said in a statement.

"In his past positions, he has shown the ability to make strong decisions and judgments that result in championship-caliber teams, while also understanding a variety of viewpoints and respecting a collaborative process throughout."

Fontenot will replace former general manager Thomas Dimitroff, whom the team parted ways with last October in addition to head coach Dan Quinn. Late last week, Atlanta hired Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith as their next head coach. 

Fontenot has spent 16 years with the Saints and just finished his sixth season managing the pro personnel department. Before his promotion to assistant general manager, he worked for seven seasons as a pro scout where his responsibilities included evaluating and rating current professional players and preparing the club for acquisitions through free agency or the waiver wire.

Earlier this offseason, Fontenot was rumored to be a top candidate for the Falcons' vacant general manager job, however, he could not sign with a new team until New Orleans' season ended, per league rules. The Saints lost to the Buccaneers in the divisional round of the NFC playoffs on Sunday night.

The Falcons finished the 2020 season with a 4–12 record, and haven't made the playoffs since 2017. 

And I predicted we would be 11-5 before the season started ! 🤣  Boy was I wrong  .... I'm glad though that I am a positive person and fan.  I do however think we'll be a much improved team with the much needed Coaches we got.. I feel really good about our new  Coaches.  WE actually got some men that I didn't think we'll be able to get.. Thanks to AB, he's always all in . Love the owner ,  Maybe my last season predictions will come true in 21... Sure hope so.. No matter what , we are bond to be much better in 2021.  I'll stick my neck out and say we may be able to fulfill that 2020 prediction this next season .. I think we'll know a lot more after the draft.  If we hit on that, We all know that we have a good Base of players, We just didn't have the right Coaches.. That's my story and I'm sticking out my neck to it. :happened:  😆

Under the microscope: New Falcons GM Terry Fontenot

The Falcons grab their next decision maker from their bitter rival.

By EricJRobinson  Jan 19, 2021, 12:00pm EST 

It’s one thing to look for the next head coach in charge of an NFL franchise. It’s another to find a decision maker that oversees football operations, personnel, and management.

That decision maker is typically a team’s general manager, and is viewed as the one who sets the table for a franchise. The team’s success or failure in many cases will rest heavily on the shoulders of this individual.

Back in October, the Atlanta Falcons made a key decision to move on from their former general manager, Thomas Dimitroff. During his time with the Falcons, Dimitroff was instrumental in supplying the Falcons roster with the talents of Julio Jones, Matt Ryan, Calvin Ridley, Deion Jones and more. He was also ultimately the shot caller who made decisions such as signing Steven Jackson and Ray Edwards to free agency deals. The team decided to move on from Dimitroff during this past regular season after a long tenure and it was, in all likelihood, the right choice.

Reportedly, the Falcons, after conducting an extensive search, have decided to give the GM job to VP/Assistant GM for Pro Personnel Terry Fontenot of the New Orleans Saints. Today, I will focus on Fontenot and why the longtime Saints executive is tagged as the next general manager of the Atlanta Falcons.

About Terry Fontenot

Fontenot is a Louisiana guy through and through. Born and raised in Lake Charles, Louisiana, Fontenot attended LaGrange High School in Lake Charles and collegiately played as a safety at Tulane University between 1996-2000. Not long after graduating with his bachelor’s degree in business, Fontenot got his start with the Saints organization as a marketing intern, gradually working up the ranks to his present day position. A considerable part of his overall experience in the front office was spent within the pro scouting realm.

Once Fontenot was promoted to director of the pro scouting department, it gave Fontenot him a frontline position with the pro personnel aspect of a roster. That means he was directly involved with free agency, waiver wire, and trade acquisitions.

That also means that Fontenot was likely essential in free agency acquisitions of tight end Ben Watson, tight end Jared Cook, wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, and safety Malcolm Jenkins over the years, among others.

That position also appointed the responsibility of overseeing the scouting department component of scouting opponents on the regular season schedule. Throughout the years, Fontenot has also gained experience with college scouting alongside Saints general manager Mickey Loomis and more recently ex-Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland.

What he provides to the Falcons

Yes, on the surface, the hire of Fontenot brings its fair share of risks. Given that this is the first time that Fontenot will hold the position, expectations for the new general manager should be modest at the start. The Falcons have been down this road before with the hire of Dimitroff in 2008 after serving most of his career in the scouting department, where a handful of great decisions propelled the team forward and several mistakes ultimately held them back. But the one aspect that he will provide that can aid the Falcons tremendously is his ability find talent within the NFL. Sounds simple to most, but as I stated, being the director of the pro scouting department allows you to work hand-in-hand with the general manager in acquiring talent in free agency. That’s something the Falcons haven’t excelled at in recent years, often overpaying players who haven’t really worked out.

That particular aspect can play a considerable part in the future for the Falcons as over time, you may see the Falcons a little more active in free agency than years past. That is not a notion that the Falcons will be splurging heavily in the free agency market given their cap situation, but they may very well be a calculated organization that will poach a key free agent or two, and they may feel more comfortable stocking the back end of the roster with affordable veterans Fontenot has scouted in the past.

Also, with that position, Fontenot has gained plenty of knowledge in learning how to effectively manage a salary cap. He will have to roll his sleeves back a bit this offseason for Atlanta. But it does look promising that he can help the Falcons dig themselves out of a hole in the salary cap this offseason.

How he approaches the draft will be critically important, but his track record in that arena is less clear. As a key piece of the Saints front office and with an existing, experienced Falcons staff to assist him, hopefully he will be able to unearth great players in April.

Final outlook

It is without a doubt eye opening seeing someone within the Saints organization having interest in managing the Falcons. His initial approach with the team can allow the Falcons to set themselves up to climb out what has been a dark period for Atlanta.

This is a critical phase for the Falcons organization. Sitting in-between a rebuilding period and a period of reloading a bit and making playoff runs in the near future. A Louisiana guy has the keys to the team and a mandate to make things better. Let’s see what he can do.