Combine cancelled this year

Bad idea. If they can play the games don’t see why they can’t have the combine. Just do daily testing leading up to the combine, or bring them in 2 weeks early and do a bubble as you said. That seems less risky than flying these players all over for workouts or teams all over for pro days. The NFL loses control of the health safety that way.

that said, many say the benefit of the combine is the interviews...so maybe they just do them virtually now like speed dating 😂.

Just now, Herr Doktor said:

What a joke.  My sons school can wrestle, but cannot shake hands.  They can play football, but the stands are basically empty.  

Bread and circuses.

All optics. The beauty about the NFL is that for years it never folded to those crying on Twitter just to cry. 

Just a dopey decision. 

2 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Keep in mind there numerous people and groups that would have to sign off on this for it to happen. The NFL had to make many concessions in order for the season to occur. Without knowing all the backdoor conversations, it's hard for me to place blame on any one group or one person.

True.  But the erratic nature and gross contradictions with this whole thing is just insane.  None of it makes any sense anymore.  None.

24 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

What a joke.  My sons school can wrestle, but cannot shake hands.  They can play football, but the stands are basically empty.  

Bread and circuses.

Is Rome burning? :)  BTW, I totally agree - total symbolism over substance.  Same as the NFL making coaches and staff wear masks during games.  It's not like they're around their players every day.

3 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

They can still get most all of the measureables (granted maybe less accurate) from pro days anyways. 

it probably hinders some small school guys from moving up draft boards though without the official times and in-person effect. 

Ya, although I don't know what the rules have historically been, but everyone's just a Zoom meeting away now. Might actually get more face time. 

18 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I understand I'm in the minority, but I wonder why they do have it any year. The measurables that matter occur within the context of games. My guess is they are chipping college players at this point anyway for the academic "measurables." 

They say the main benefit is the teams being able to interview and do medical checks of a bunch of prospects in a short period of time.

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

They say the main benefit is the teams being able to interview and do medical checks of a bunch of prospects in a short period of time.

I think this would be a very important thing that would be lost with the combine. Combined medical checks have unearthed medical conditions of prospects over the years that have gone unnoticed up to that point. It has helped save some of those prospects lives.

4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Not to mention all the people from different places converging all into one location.

That would happen on pro days and the NFL just has to hope all these different colleges are being strict with their protocols. But there's nothing preventing a scout going to a bar and passing it to someone who then hops on a plane en route to another college. 

17 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

By that I think they mean it is a marketable event to which they can charge for advertising and broadcasting rights...of which the players probably get about no dollars and zero cents?

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-memo-details-different-format-for-combine-individual-workouts-will-be-held-o

The NFL has informed teams, via a memo obtained by NFL Network's Tom Pelissero on Monday, that the 2021 NFL Scouting Combine is officially changing formats.

Among the alterations will be no in-person workouts at the combine as they will take place at colleges' pro days, all interviews and psychological testing will be virtual and there will be limited in-person medical exams.

The largest change to the traditionally week-long showcase of college prospects in February is that, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, there will be no in-person workouts at the combine in 2021.

"Instead, any workouts will take place on the individual pro days on college campuses," the memo reads.

The league added it would work with individual schools to achieve consistency in the dills and testing that takes place with each NFL team gaining access of video for the workouts. Schools also will be asked to conduct virtual media availabilities with combine invitees to help "promote" the prospects and the 2021 NFL Draft.

In addition, the NFL is currently working alongside club physicians and trainers to develop a way in which to obtain "comprehensive medical information on each of the invited prospects." In-person testing will be available for "a certain number of prospects" at designated locations, likely in early April.

All teams' interviews and psychological testing is going to be done virtually under the coordination of Jeff Foster and his staff.

Along with all the listed changes, the absence of in-person workouts will prevent the usual gatherings of team front-office members, coaches and agents that lead to talk about pending free agency, as pointed out by NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.

31 minutes ago, stizz said:

That would happen on pro days and the NFL just has to hope all these different colleges are being strict with their protocols. But there's nothing preventing a scout going to a bar and passing it to someone who then hops on a plane en route to another college. 

A pro day isn’t nearly as many people as the NFL COMBINE. Two different animals.