Jump to content

Panthers WR Coach Frisman Jackson Interviews for OC


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

It's likely that he had staffing ideas already sketched out, but the NFL has applied the Rooney Rule to coordinator positions as well. 

 

 

Came to mention this. I'm expecting Ragone to get the job, but Jackson was a WR coach I believe in 2017, while Smith was TE coach. So i'm sure they had a close relationship, making it an easy way to satisfy the rule, while getting Jackson some notoriety for even being considered for the OC job.

From what I have read up on(deep digging), Ragone is apparently thought to be an intelligent mind offensively, and being a former QB at Louisville with also QB coach experience has led a few to believe he is potentially HC material.

Not sure how much of that is smoke for the media, but while looking through some articles, I read Ragone was asked to provide more ideas in the offensive game planning since the bye this year. The Bears since the bye had a much improved offense. Went for a more short passing game, and focus on power in the run game.

I'm not saying Ragone is perfect for the job, but I think Smith might be looking for help in the passing game, and like's Ragone's mind enough to bring him in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Came to mention this. I'm expecting Ragone to get the job, but Jackson was a WR coach I believe in 2017, while Smith was TE coach. So i'm sure they had a close relationship, making it an easy way to satisfy the rule, while getting Jackson some notoriety for even being considered for the OC job.

From what I have read up on(deep digging), Ragone is apparently thought to be an intelligent mind offensively, and being a former QB at Louisville with also QB coach experience has led a few to believe he is potentially HC material.

Not sure how much of that is smoke for the media, but while looking through some articles, I read Ragone was asked to provide more ideas in the offensive game planning since the bye this year. The Bears since the bye had a much improved offense. Went for a more short passing game, and focus on power in the run game.

I'm not saying Ragone is perfect for the job, but I think Smith might be looking for help in the passing game, and like's Ragone's mind enough to bring him in.

Or maybe Smith actually believes Jackson is the best man for the job. He's done more with Carolina WRs than Ragone has with Bears QBs at the very least

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Real Tony G. said:

Or maybe Smith actually believes Jackson is the best man for the job. He's done more with Carolina WRs than Ragone has with Bears QBs at the very least

you sure about that? The Panthers WRs are talented. Ragone lead the Bears to the 12th ranked passing offense in the league with Trubisky and Foles. Imagine with our players? 

Also haven't seen it written here yet but Jackson was the Titans WR coach under Mularky and was a QB turned WR in college. So he probably understands the game well in that regard.

Edited by mtldirtybird
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

you sure about that? The Panthers WRs are talented. Ragone lead the Bears to the 12th ranked passing offense in the league with Trubisky and Foles. Imagine with our players? 

Also haven't seen it written here yet but Jackson was the Titans WR coach under Mularky and was a QB turned WR in college. So he probably understands the game well in that regard.

12th in what? Only thing I'm seeing them in the top 10 for is attempts. They were 24th in QBR and in the bottom half of the league in every other meaningful stat. 
 

DJ Moore is a beast, Anderson looked better than he did as a Jet, and Samuel is a really slick utility player. 

Given that Rhule and Joe Brady are supposed to be offensive geniuses, potentially poaching someone off their staff should be seen as a lot more shrewd than getting Charles Nagy's underling.

Point is there is nothing that separates Ragone and Jackson to the point of making Ragone a legit candidate and Jackson just Rooney Rule lip service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Bears passing game coordinator. Panther's WR coach... errr.. Happy Arthur will be calling plays is all I'll say. 

Dunno, man....Bears passing game did pretty well against us, after Foles entered the game......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, The Real Tony G. said:

Or maybe Smith actually believes Jackson is the best man for the job. He's done more with Carolina WRs than Ragone has with Bears QBs at the very least

Could be true. Not ruling Jackson completely out of the picture, but Ragone at least having the position of being a passing game coordinator and QB coach would lead me to think he would certainly be the front runner.

I saw you mention Carolina having 3 productive WR's. Is that more credit to Brady and Rhule play calling or Jackson himself? Brady called plays for the record breaking LSU offense, and Rhule's philosophy has evolved into a heavy spread RPO. Jackson is certainly bright as a coach, but I think Carolina was going to have the production they had regardless if Jackson was there or not. 

Whether it's Ragone or Jackson, or neither, Smith is calling the plays anyway. The OC is likely going to just be a voice in the room to give ideas and inputs on what to add into the weekly game plans. Arthur will hopefully choose the best mind out of any candidate out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...