Panthers WR Coach Frisman Jackson Interviews for OC

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol throwing around words like "puppet" when Smith has done literally nothing as head coach yet. He just got hired man. Give him some time.

We could do worse than getting a puppet for one of the brightest offensive minds in the game.  Get me some more of those 30 ppg puppets please. 

Just find us a great OL coach...that’s my biggest remaining concern on the offensive side now that Smith is here.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

I don't get this.  Arthur Smith has formulated some innovative passing techniques in Tennessee.  The fact that he doesn't use them for 70% of their offensive plays doesn't mean he's lacking in that area.

People hear he's "run first" and "Mike Mularkey 2.0" (neither of which are really true) and think that means the dude can't come up with passing concepts.  If anything, he's a genius at formulating a cohesive offensive philosophy where the run and pass play off each other, and the blocking concepts, formation and motion set up the defense to be wrong more than they're right.

I put “weakness” in quotations because I didn’t want someone taking me to a grave sight with a shovel and tell me to dig lol. I don’t watch a lot of Tennessee football but there were games where Tannahill didn’t have many passing attempts and still won. Not saying that Arthur sucks at coordinating passing attacks but if ever it got to the point to where we went pass heavy it would be good to have another mind that specializes in it. I’m all for it to be honest. People rag on the Bears passing attack but it feels like Arthur is doing his due diligence in putting a staff together and I like it.

It is interesting that Smith did not already have guys in place.

Normally when new coaches have most of important staff ready when they took the job.

Like Quinn knew that he was bringing KS with him.

And if I remember , Smitty knew that he was bringing Mularky with him..

It is also going to be interesting to see how many hold over coaches...if any stay.

But normally guys already have their staff mostly in place...but it does not seem like Smith has that.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

That’s all gone this year. Teams can’t block assistant coaches from interviewing or making a lateral move. 

Nope, only that changed is they can't block a position coach from being interviewed to be a coordinator

Lateral moves can have interviews blocked and the move requires the HC to agree to it

2 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

I don't want an Arthur Smith puppet. I want someone fresh who has ideas to compliment Smith's offensive philosophies. Give me Tony Elliott, co-OC and RB coach from Clemson

I admit that I don't know one coach from another, but why would you assume that a NFL coach would become a puppet but a college coach would not?  

I think we need to give Art Smith the benefit of the doubt and admit that none of us really know much about this subject.  

34 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I admit that I don't know one coach from another, but why would you assume that a NFL coach would become a puppet but a college coach would not?  

I think we need to give Art Smith the benefit of the doubt and admit that none of us really know much about this subject.  

I suppose my view on this is that neither one has OC experience. I'm not saying i don't want or the Falcons don't need AS's hands on this offense... I just know as HC he will have much on his plate where he cannot micromanage every aspect of the offense. This was our mistake with Quinn. He couldn't handle trying to be DC (though we had a DC) and HC

As far as the college coach, that's just a personal preference, but he does have experience as an OC

1 hour ago, Macintez said:

I put “weakness” in quotations because I didn’t want someone taking me to a grave sight with a shovel and tell me to dig lol. I don’t watch a lot of Tennessee football but there were games where Tannahill didn’t have many passing attempts and still won. Not saying that Arthur sucks at coordinating passing attacks but if ever it got to the point to where we went pass heavy it would be good to have another mind that specializes in it. I’m all for it to be honest. People rag on the Bears passing attack but it feels like Arthur is doing his due diligence in putting a staff together and I like it.

Honestly, too many passing attempts generally leads to a loss (or, the corollary, ,if you're having to pass a lot, you're probably losing).

I want most of our games to have 30-40 passing attempts, tops.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Honestly, too many passing attempts generally leads to a loss (or, the corollary, ,if you're having to pass a lot, you're probably losing).

I was thinking around 30 tops myself but I’m scared of 40 lol

16 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

That really isn't true anymore.

Of the top 10 passers in term of attempts.

7  were in the playoffs 

3 guys had 600 attempt...2 of them were in the playoffs.

Mahomes would have been there had he not sat out week 16

That was not really the case In 19 but it was similar in 18 where 4 guys had 600+ attempts and 3 made the playoffs.

Assuming Mahomes plays then the AFC will have 2 passers who combined to throw 1160 passes this year and that was the one passing the most sitting out a game.

I would not be shocked to see  100 passes between the 2.

And if Brady some how beats Rogers in GB then the super bowl will feature more of the same.

Plenty of teams are winning throwing between 35 and 40 passes a game.

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

Normally when new coaches have most of important staff ready when they took the job.

It is also going to be interesting to see how many hold over coaches...if any stay.

But normally guys already have their staff mostly in place...but it does not seem like Smith has that.

Wasn't Shanahan hired before DQ? I think he was. 

15 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

Wasn't Shanahan hired before DQ? I think he was. 

Technically yes

As Quinn was not available until after the SB, technically Shanahan was hired first, but Quinn's job was for all intents and purposes done before Shanahan was hired; he just couldn't put ink to paper until after the SB

2 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Technically yes

As Quinn was not available until after the SB, technically Shanahan was hired first, but Quinn's job was for all intents and purposes done before Shanahan was hired; he just couldn't put ink to paper until after the SB

I was going to edit my post to say that but you are right.

Shanny may have put pen to paper first but he was "hired' the same time as Quinn.

4 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Technically yes

I thought I remembered that. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

It's likely that he had staffing ideas already sketched out, but the NFL has applied the Rooney Rule to coordinator positions as well. 

3 hours ago, AndrewsFrancisBart said:

Arthur Smith doesn't have a "weakness" scheming routes to get receivers open.  He's literally been one of the best route combo coordinators the past two years.  Just because he doesn't ignore the run game doesn't mean it's because he's clueless about passing.  You guys do realize a strong pass scheme and a strong run game are not mutually exclusive concepts, right? 

I didn’t see much separation not sure if that’s on his design or his WR tho.