5 hours ago, insight said:

The Falcons were 4-12, and have had three losing seasons in a row. The whole team is more expensive than it produces.  With that said if the Falcons can get  good compensation  for Julio or Matt and avoid dead cap space they should be open to moving on from both.  Whatever is required to get the Falcons in contention for winning a Superbowl should be on the table. 

I would keep Matty and let Julio go.

And really fix the 0-line.  Not some bandaid but a whole makeover and fix.

Ridley can take up the slack.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am in favor of keeping Matt and Julio another year, but this is a business. A winning product is what the fans truly want. Emotions aside.

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones deserve to retire a Falcon! 

There are better players than those guys that didn’t retire with their primary teams. I cringe when I hear these types of declarative statements. The NFL is a year to year league and the dec

Am I missing something?

Shouldn't those draft picks just be awarded by the league? That way both the team that developed is awarded and the team that hired isn't penalized for hiring. Seems like that would increase the incentive to do so.

Maybe I'm wrong?

38 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

I would keep Matty and let Julio go.

And really fix the 0-line.  Not some bandaid but a whole makeover and fix.

Ridley can take up the slack.

We just drafted 2 1st round o lineman two years ago, and drafted another oline men  in the 3rd round last year. Matthews isn't going anywhere at LT his cap hit is too high and 65% of the cap space is already on the offensive side of the ball.  We only won 4 games last season, so I don't understand what you mean by pick up the slack. Julio jones is the ONLY offensive player that defensive coordinators are  scheming for on the Falcons.  Both players are hard to move this year due to how their contracts are structured Julio has the most trade value so it's possible a trade could occur. 

Edited by insight

Love MR & JJ, but they don’t “Deserve” to be Falcons for life. BOTH players got EVERY dollar they could from the Falcons, and that has put the team in a bad spot currently.

I would have preferred they take less money, so the team could have been in a better position to acquire other players. That isn’t how it works though, but then getting to stay forever isn’t how it works either. 

9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

But there decision to part wasn’t based on Brady’s deterioration.  It was more just the coach and player were ready to part for other reasons.

The Pats could no longer afford Brady and keep the team competitive. 

8 hours ago, atljbo said:

I will say this...... I wont say they deserve to retire here but i do think they deserve a chance to work with an offensive mind Like Arthur Smith..... They've  had only 2 chances out of all these years to work with someone that can utilize to the max their skill set and whats around them.

I think with this move the OLine, Rid, Hurst , Gage and everybody on the offense benefits.

Im also praying thats we can give these guys a Defense

Personally, contrary to what peeps in here were projecting just a week or so ago.... I think Ryan and Julio were a big reason Smith took this job over others out there.

50 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Personally, contrary to what peeps in here were projecting just a week or so ago.... I think Ryan and Julio were a big reason Smith took this job over others out there.

100%. Add a power back in the draft early (I.e Najee) and Smith has a team very similar to what he ran in Tennessee. Great receivers and an average OL. Even the defence is comparable. Neither can rush the passer. 

12 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones deserve to retire a Falcon! 

Meh, I love(d) both as they have had extraordinary careers, both being the absolute best to ever play their respective positions as Falcons, but it's a business. If at any point the/a regime thinks it's time for one or both to go, it's time to go. Can't be married to players in the NFL man, it could cripple the team's future. 

For what it's worth, I think Julio is about toast with all of his nagging injuries. Ryan can probably play another 5 years at a decently high level in the right system with good supporting cast.

11 hours ago, Passprotection said:

Meh, I love(d) both as they have had extraordinary careers, both being the absolute best to ever play their respective positions as Falcons, but it's a business. If at any point the/a regime thinks it's time for one or both to go, it's time to go. Can't be married to players in the NFL man, it could cripple the team's future. 

For what it's worth, I think Julio is about toast with all of his nagging injuries. Ryan can probably play another 5 years at a decently high level in the right system with good supporting cast.

I disagree about who is declining faster.  Julio had a injury filled year no doubt, but when he was playing he still showed superior skills and athleticism.  Matt Ryan's  accuracy and pocket awareness have declined and I don't think you can blame that all on Dirk Koeter.  When healthy the expectations for Julio is that he plays at a Top 5 level at his position. The expectation for Matt Ryan are much lower and dependent on the players around him at this point in his career. 

When I think of players retiring with one team I always think of the Steelers and Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, now Roethlsberger. (Bettis drafted by Rams but nobody remembers that about his legacy)

There are a few factors that usually garner the retire with same franchise treatment in my book:

1) Championship nostalgia. The fact that said players achieved the ultimate glory and world wide respect that goes along with being a world champion. That took them from just being great ambassadors to symbolic figures.

2. Contract. Players let go of their individual gains, and accept their decline with a hometown discount to stay put. Still compensated well, but not in the convo for highest paid at their position anymore. They put the franchise above themselves.

Matt and Julio dont check either category at the moment. We have come close but their legacy is of all the failures to reach or win a SB despite their talent and efforts. Even winning one now would taste stale considering what we all know should have happened before. Their nostalgia is not of glory, but of frustration.

The easiest thing they can do is restructure contracts for the benefit of the team. Do what they can to turn things around quicker so we can win WITH them. If that's not their prerogative, then retiring with us isn't either.

1 hour ago, LightningDawg58 said:

When I think of players retiring with one team I always think of the Steelers and Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, now Roethlsberger. (Bettis drafted by Rams but nobody remembers that about his legacy)

There are a few factors that usually garner the retire with same franchise treatment in my book:

1) Championship nostalgia. The fact that said players achieved the ultimate glory and world wide respect that goes along with being a world champion. That took them from just being great ambassadors to symbolic figures.

2. Contract. Players let go of their individual gains, and accept their decline with a hometown discount to stay put. Still compensated well, but not in the convo for highest paid at their position anymore. They put the franchise above themselves.

Matt and Julio dont check either category at the moment. We have come close but their legacy is of all the failures to reach or win a SB despite their talent and efforts. Even winning one now would taste stale considering what we all know should have happened before. Their nostalgia is not of glory, but of frustration.

The easiest thing they can do is restructure contracts for the benefit of the team. Do what they can to turn things around quicker so we can win WITH them. If that's not their prerogative, then retiring with us isn't either.

Well said!  It's not a one way street when it comes to retiring a Falcon.  It's a choice by both parties  and personal sacrifice maybe  required.  

Edited by insight
1 hour ago, LightningDawg58 said:

the problem w/ re-structuring the star player - as a re-organization - is you are marrying yourself to the player for a longer and longer timeframe and pushing cap into future - I know this has been talked to death but if Fontenot chooses this avenue, then Falcons are making a longer commitment to these guys than might be wise.

I hope they resist going this route on re-structure.

2 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Dan Marino was always very well compensated throughout his time with the Dolphins...no championships. I guess he shouldn't be remembered as the greatest Dolphin of all time.

16 hours ago, jetpac said:

The Pats could no longer afford Brady and keep the team competitive. 

2 hours ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

LMAO ... and they were really competitive after they let Brady walk. 

Exactly what I was going to say. lol. 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

the problem w/ re-structuring the star player - as a re-organization - is you are marrying yourself to the player for a longer and longer timeframe and pushing cap into future - I know this has been talked to death but if Fontenot chooses this avenue, then Falcons are making a longer commitment to these guys than might be wise.

I hope they resist going this route on re-structure.

That's because the player is not taking less money, they are agreeing to receive money early and extend the contract terms for cap relief.  I don't think he was talking about that, he was talking about a player agreeing to take a pay cut or make less than market value to remain with the team. Most players understandably are not willing to do that but that maybe required if you want to retire with a specific NFL team. 

1 hour ago, ki46dinah said:

Dan Marino was always very well compensated throughout his time with the Dolphins...no championships. I guess he shouldn't be remembered as the greatest Dolphin of all time.

Not my point. Talking about retiring with the same team. 

At age 38, Marino opted out of his contract to mull over retirement. He left money on the table and his options were to: a) come back with the Dolphins for less money by choice b) sign with another franchise (he had 3 offers), or c) retire off in to the sunset. 
http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/2000/0209/346422.html

This after 3 straight playoff appearances despite his play declining. His team was still winning. 7 playoff trips in his last decade. 3 in a row before retiring.

Nobody here would complain about Matt or Julio if we were still making the postseason.