Regarding Fontenot, it’s notable (and laudable) that the Falcons did not let the fact that hiring Fontenot would result in Atlanta handing extra third-round picks to their arch-rivals in the next two drafts. (A 2020 NFL rule, in an effort to stimulate minority hiring, rewards teams with two late third-round picks for developing minority coaches and GMs.) Two reasons: Fontenot was a candidate for several jobs, and he could easily have been hired elsewhere, meaning the Saints would have gotten the picks anyway. And if you don’t hire a GM you love because you don’t want to give a rival the 100th picks (estimated) in the next two drafts, how much did you really love him? A great GM should be worth more than two mid-round picks.

6. ARTHUR SMITH. Atlanta had one advantage in the GM and coach search: time. When the Falcons fired coach Dan Quinn and GM Thomas Dimitroff in October, it gave them 73 days before the end of the season to fact-find on coaches and GMs. The end was a bit hairy; Atlanta thought Smith, the imaginative Tennessee offensive coordinator, was the man the Falcons wanted to hire, but then he left town after a long in-person interview Wednesday to meet with the Jets, and then he flew to Florida to meet with the Eagles’ contingent led by owner Jeff Lurie and GM Howie Roseman—for six hours. After being led by a defensive head coach (Mike Smith, Quinn) for the last 13 seasons, the progressive offense of Smith, in addition to his global view of the job, was inviting for Atlanta. My bet is that Smith would be in favor of keeping Matt Ryan and trying to build around a good skill group to topple the Saints and Bucs in the NFC South.

Edited by ike barn87987
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am in favor of keeping Matt and Julio another year, but this is a business. A winning product is what the fans truly want. Emotions aside.

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones deserve to retire a Falcon! 

There are better players than those guys that didn’t retire with their primary teams. I cringe when I hear these types of declarative statements. The NFL is a year to year league and the dec

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

There are better players than those guys that didn’t retire with their primary teams.

I cringe when I hear these types of declarative statements.

The NFL is a year to year league and the decision makers overriding concerns cannot be sentimental nor nostalgic.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

There are better players than those guys that didn’t retire with their primary teams.

The NFL is a year to year league and the decision makers overriding concerns cannot be sentimental nor nostalgic.

I have to agree.  This isn't the 1960s or 70s anymore.  The business is far more massive and people who are sentimental lose.  When I was a kid, it was routine to see players retire with their team.  Not anymore.

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

True, but the Pats are missing Brady. Dude still slinging it.

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

They deserve the the right to make the decision if they retire a falcon.  If either came in to front office said they wanted a trade to a competitive team for a super bowl ring I think the front office should do what they are able ( within reason because of cap limitations) to accommodate that

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree.  They deserve to get paid for the work they've done - nothing else.   

The Falcon's front office sole responsibility is to put the best possible team on the field with the goal of winning championships.  Everything else is secondary.

4 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

Regarding Fontenot, it’s notable (and laudable) that the Falcons did not let the fact that hiring Fontenot would result in Atlanta handing extra third-round picks to their arch-rivals in the next two drafts.

Dont the Saints have to wait for Fontenot to stay employed for 2 years before those picks are awarded?

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah and we already made that mistake multiple times with ol Blank's "Falcon for life" deal. Big part of our cap troubles.

I will say this...... I wont say they deserve to retire here but i do think they deserve a chance to work with an offensive mind Like Arthur Smith..... They've  had only 2 chances out of all these years to work with someone that can utilize to the max their skill set and whats around them.

I think with this move the OLine, Rid, Hurst , Gage and everybody on the offense benefits.

Im also praying thats we can give these guys a Defense

15 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I will say this...... I wont say they deserve to retire here but i do think they deserve a chance to work with an offensive mind Like Arthur Smith..... They've  had only 2 chances out of all these years to work with someone that can utilize to the max their skill set and whats around them.

I think with this move the OLine, Rid, Hurst , Gage and everybody on the offense benefits.

Im also praying thats we can give these guys a Defense

The crazy thing is, that's also the thing that makes them expendable eventually.  The coach is the x-factor.  Players come and go.

I know Belichick is being discussed as the counter to that, but he has literally no QB and a bunch of his defensive players opted out due to COVID.  I don't think that story is written just yet.

16 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

Trade Julio.  He is more expensive than what he produces.  He is an injury waiting to happen.  Do not see the need at WR.  Especially with our cap.  What we need is an impenetrable 0-line and a Defense that is so good it spends little time on the field.

The Falcons were 4-12, and have had three losing seasons in a row. The whole team is more expensive than it produces.  With that said if the Falcons can get  good compensation  for Julio or Matt and avoid dead cap space they should be open to moving on from both.  Whatever is required to get the Falcons in contention for winning a Superbowl should be on the table. 

From the MMQB:

The Falcons took advantage of the 10-week head start they had. Which is why Arthur Smith, the Titans offensive coordinator, was connected to Atlanta in the rumor mill before the interview process even got started. Getting there meant, for the team’s decision-makers, a lot of time on the phone, and that time spent crystallized exactly what kind of candidate they’d be looking at in Smith. Ex-Titans GM Ruston Webster was with Smith for five years in Tennessee, seeing him go from defensive QC to offensive QC to an offensive line assistant to assistant tight ends coach, so that gave Atlanta a good starting point of reference. And what Webster told them matched feedback from Titans coach Mike Vrabel and Vrabel’s predecessor Mike Mularkey, and, as one person involved explained, it was easy to see recommendations coming were founded more in respect than about those guys liking Smith, which really validated his stock exploding this year. And Smith, due to all that interest, really packed his interviews in. He sat with the Chargers eight days ago, just hours after Tennessee was eliminated by Baltimore, then got up the next morning and, first thing, interviewed with the Falcons, coming off to the Atlanta folks as fresh and on his game. The football stuff, of course, was never hard to see. Both Ryan Tannehill and Derrick Henry saw a gigantic uptick in a production in Smith’s two years as coordinator, and both are much richer (both literally and figuratively) as a result of having worked with Smith. And when the whole package that the Falcons had dug into (an offensive coach with an Andy Reid-type of demeanor) matched the person, this one became academic, at which point it came down to Atlanta’s ability to land Smith before someone else tried to.

Everytime I see an article from Peter King, I am required to share this anecdote about Peter King, cause it perfectly illustrates Peter King.

He use to do write ups about beer at the end of one of his segments.  One time he credited an American brewery with the creation of the Belgium Wit style of beer.  The Wit beer had been invented several hundred years prior in Belgium.  Hence the name Belgium Wit.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

But there decision to part wasn’t based on Brady’s deterioration.  It was more just the coach and player were ready to part for other reasons.

When you look at both Ryan and Julio, they haven't seen  much deterioration from a physical standpoint either.  I understand the concern with Julio and the soft tissue injury, which could linger beyond this year, but when healthy has been dominant.  Ryan's strengths have always been the cerebral part of the game, and not the physical tools, which is why he has the potential to play into his late 30's at a high level.  I think what Mr.11 was saying was they made a mistake to move on from a QB that is still playing at a high level, and the organization let it play out that way.

So I like Smith. He’s a great coach and certainly deserves some of not most of the credit for what Derrick Henry is, and what Tannehill did this year. My question is Matt Ryan is on the tail end of his career and even if he plays at a high level for the next three years, there is going to be a decline at some point. That said, we have the number four pick and are in prime position to get a qb that will most certainly take his place as a franchise guy. Why would we pass that up? I say this because everything I’m reading is Smith all but seals the deal that there won’t be a qb drafted now.

Edited by PHALCONABERNATHY
6 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Manning left the Colts

Brady left the Pats

Rice left the 49ers

Smith left the Cowboys

Ryan and Jones can still retire as Falcons yet still play elsewhere 

Manning was an extenuating circumstance as he was coming off a major injury and the Colts had an opportunity to draft the most highly regarded QB prospect likely since Manning was drafted.  I think Brady is a similar case to Brett Favre in that he wanted to keep playing longer than the Pats wanted to keep him and they didn't seem to want to build a talented supporting cast around him.  Ryan has yet to really show he is in sharp decline physically.  I'm hopefully a lot of his problems this year will be corrected by a competent playcaller.  

7 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I do too, such a homer statement and it's rampant. These guys aren't owed spit. They have made millions. upon millions, and yet  they are owed something??

Messed up mentality, most likely mention by those who are too young to be in the actual workforce,

Edited by PointSwayzee