The Deshaun Watson Gamble for the Falcons.

If Houston and Atlanta traded QB's the Texans would have more Dead Cap Space to eat. Deshaun is $67 million in 2021 vs Matt Ryan $49 million is dead cap space. The Texans would have to pay Ryan $13 million more in base salary vs Deshuan. The cap hit for Falcons would be almost $25 million. So in essense the Falcons would save $13 million in base salary but have to turn around and take a $25 million cap hit. However, next years' cap hit are almost identical with both Deshaun and Ryan being a cap hit of $40 million. So trade is doable but just dont see why Texans would do it. So cliff notes. Texans have to pay more in base salary + $13 million, but Falcons would have to eat more in cap hit $25 million. Translated Falcons would have to move some players like Ridley etc...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pass over whatever yall be smoking. Do you want this team to be comprised of the cast from “the replacements” ? Watson will never be the QB here, also think he over stepped the actual role he plays on

But just don’t see why the Texans would do it. You just torpedoed your own thread.

Falcons finish 4-12: “Matt Ryan sucks, it’s his fault.” Texans finish 4-12: “We need Watson!!”

The “why would Texas do it” question is really simple. The face of their franchise is hinting he no longer wants to be there. If they wait and force Watson to play his next card, that card will be to demand a trade. At that point, they’ll get no where near what he’s worth. They’d be lucky to get much at all if he wanted to press the issue. 

Watson is more than likely to be a Dolphin because they have the capital. Reported already that Watson would consider Dolphins.

The fact that the Texans would be getting back their 1st round pick for their QB would be comical.

The Tunsil trade will live on as the trade that keeps on screwing the Texans over because the Texans made that trade to protect Watson in the first place.

Watson seems to want out of Houston. And it's also an opt out year for JJ. He doesn't seem to want to stick around either.

Not that I see this happening, ever. Watson isn't in the same boat Harden was. He might opt out for a year though, which is one if the speculations going round Houston at the moment. That could force the Texans to take action.

Even then, I don't see it being with us. We can't afford the upcharge in dead money even if we wanted to pull off something crazy.

Nobody's going to trade a prime asset for a mid-30s QB who is on the downside of his career. I love Matt, but any team that has him needs to already make plans to replace him within two years. Unless we want to mortgage our next three drafts, we're not a viable trade partner for Watson.

Completely hypothetical here and thee only other player I’d trade away for Watson is Julio and this years and next years #1s.

Then in the same breath I’m putting Ryan on the block right behind him to some needy team to try and get that 1st rounder back this year.

Don’t ask me how the money will work because it probably won’t but if your getting Watson in here your off loading at least 2 1s and Julio’s the sweetener.

Pass over whatever yall be smoking. Do you want this team to be comprised of the cast from “the replacements” ? Watson will never be the QB here, also think he over stepped the actual role he plays on the team by throwing a fit bc his GM candidates didnt get hired? I dont see any other qbs in the league making those decisions for their front office. Yall are wild

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Completely hypothetical here and thee only other player I’d trade away for Watson is Julio and this years and next years #1s.

Then in the same breath I’m putting Ryan on the block right behind him to some needy team to try and get that 1st rounder back this year.

Don’t ask me how the money will work because it probably won’t but if your getting Watson in here your off loading at least 2 1s and Julio’s the sweetener.

I could get behind this. Think the numbers make it impossible but it would be a reasonable starting point. Unlike the OP's pipe dream.

4 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Pass over whatever yall be smoking. Do you want this team to be comprised of the cast from “the replacements” ? Watson will never be the QB here, also think he over stepped the actual role he plays on the team by throwing a fit bc his GM candidates didnt get hired? I dont see any other qbs in the league making those decisions for their front office. Yall are wild

You apparently have no idea what is happening over there in Houston then. I see the complete 180 of what you do. Watson had been a saint and dealt with too much, he vented and had every right too.

19 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Well watson is proven, the rest of these rookies can be busts, not taking anything from Ryan but it’s an upgrade cause watson is younger.  If Ryan was 25, I would choose him over watson though

See, I was told all of the top 4 QBs in the draft are the next Patrick Mahomes and there is no way any of them bust.  That's why we have to draft a QB at 4 instead of waiting until Ryan is in a better cap position (not to mention seeing what he can do with a competent OC).

You don't get top 5 picks every year, so you have to get the sure thing at 4.

That's what I was told anyway.

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

See, I was told all of the top 4 QBs in the draft are the next Patrick Mahomes and there is no way any of them bust.  That's why we have to draft a QB at 4 instead of waiting until Ryan is in a better cap position (not to mention seeing what he can do with a competent OC).

You don't get top 5 picks every year, so you have to get the sure thing at 4.

That's what I was told anyway.

I would only trust trevor, the rest are iffy, that’s why IF the trade proposal of Watson for Ryan + Julio + 1st is a green light for me 

If the Texans move Watson they will be a 2-3 win team next season. But they will be a sub 6 win team for the next 3 seasons anyway so that is not a good or bad delta. 

If the Falcons picked up Watson we would be a 10+ win team first season all other things being equal. Watson can pass as accurately as Ryan but adds deep ball delivery and footwork. Our 1 possession losses all become W. But the whole forest/trees thing, we will not even be interested in that conversation and we probably couldn’t make it work financially.  Still, conference championship would be nice. 

Watson has a NTC. Only way this works is if he gets super choosy with the list of teams he'd be willing to go to. Then Houston would choose to eat the cap ramifications of trading for Ryan in order to receive a gluttony of picks from us.

So it's possible, only if Watson pretty much only wants to come with us and pretty much only if we give up a whole lot of picks back. Sooooo probably not happening.