Looking at the Saints and Titans past drafts

4 hours ago, Romfal said:

and what do you do with Matthews? not exactly easy to get out of his contract

I swear Matthews is so overrated around here. You can make a good argument that he cost us the SB with that penalty that knocked us out of FG range and threw our drive off timing. And he always seems to have a missed block or penalty at the absolute worst time possible. If Sewell is there I'd absolutely take him and either move Matthew to LG or ship him somewhere else.

2 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I swear Matthews is so overrated around here. You can make a good argument that he cost us the SB with that penalty that knocked us out of FG range and threw our drive off timing. And he always seems to have a missed block or penalty at the absolute worst time possible. If Sewell is there I'd absolutely take him and either move Matthew to LG or ship him somewhere else.

Sewell is not going to be there either the jets or dolphins will take him

Somebody is thinking just like me with my favorite OLineman in the draft.

Falcons

Rashawn Slater

OT, Northwestern

Okay, everybody calm down.

Here’s what I’ve got. I’ve got Daniel Jeremiah, who’s a great barometer for the league, ranking Slater above Penei Sewell. I’ve got Lance Zierlein, another league barometer, agreeing with him. I’ve got Matt Miller, who’s always well-sourced, saying multiple scouting directors and area scouts prefer Slater to Sewell

So I’m thinking there’s a good chance that Slater goes ahead of Sewell come draft day. That’s not how I have them stacked on my board—though I love both—but that could be how this goes.

The new Atlanta GM looks to be Terry Fontenot, who comes from the New Orleans tree. That Saints front office has drafted a trench player in the first round of five of their last six drafts—and in 2019, when they didn’t have a first-round pick, they took Erik McCoy in the second. Four of those trench picks have been offensive linemen, as New Orleans poured talent into a seemingly solid offensive line, and to their benefit—they have a top-three OL in the league.

Atlanta attacked OL heavily in the 2019 NFL Draft, bringing in Chris Lindstrom and Kaleb McGary with first-round picks. McGary hasn’t been great, Alex Mack is likely leaving in free agency, Jake Matthews can be improved upon, and left guard could still use a starter. Slater is a great fit for all of those issues: he has guard/tackle versatility, so he can fight for multiple jobs in camp, and is a high-quality run blocker in space for the Arthur Smith run-heavy approach.

3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Mathews is wayy to weak to be our LG. I don't mind grabbing a dominant LT at all and letting him start at LG for the first season. Boot Mathews next year and get way tougher out front

1 hour ago, ike barn87987 said:

Somebody is thinking just like me with my favorite OLineman in the draft.

Falcons

Rashawn Slater

OT, Northwestern

Okay, everybody calm down.

Here’s what I’ve got. I’ve got Daniel Jeremiah, who’s a great barometer for the league, ranking Slater above Penei Sewell. I’ve got Lance Zierlein, another league barometer, agreeing with him. I’ve got Matt Miller, who’s always well-sourced, saying multiple scouting directors and area scouts prefer Slater to Sewell

So I’m thinking there’s a good chance that Slater goes ahead of Sewell come draft day. That’s not how I have them stacked on my board—though I love both—but that could be how this goes.

The new Atlanta GM looks to be Terry Fontenot, who comes from the New Orleans tree. That Saints front office has drafted a trench player in the first round of five of their last six drafts—and in 2019, when they didn’t have a first-round pick, they took Erik McCoy in the second. Four of those trench picks have been offensive linemen, as New Orleans poured talent into a seemingly solid offensive line, and to their benefit—they have a top-three OL in the league.

Atlanta attacked OL heavily in the 2019 NFL Draft, bringing in Chris Lindstrom and Kaleb McGary with first-round picks. McGary hasn’t been great, Alex Mack is likely leaving in free agency, Jake Matthews can be improved upon, and left guard could still use a starter. Slater is a great fit for all of those issues: he has guard/tackle versatility, so he can fight for multiple jobs in camp, and is a high-quality run blocker in space for the Arthur Smith run-heavy approach.

Wow I didn't realize they spent all of their first round picks on linemen. No surprise that team has been so dominant the last few years. I hope Fontenot brings that philosophy with him.

48 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

We have spent 4 first rounders on offensive linemen since 1993. 4...

This is true but these picks were recent so it is trending exponentially in the direction you want already. There are only 5 positions on the offensive line, we drafted 3 first rounds on it. Filled the others 2 with free agent 1st rounders.

44 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

To build on this..

the saints have used 3 1st rounders on offensive linemen since 2015....and Falcons fans wonder why their team is consistent and ours isn't?

Eh thats not the entire picture though. Play calling and the defensive side of the ball factor in also. They found kamara  to run behind that line along with murray. They actually have a scheme and a competent coaching staff. We didnt.  

I would argue matt would have played better for them than brees has the past couple of years.

There is more to it.

57 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

To build on this..

the saints have used 3 1st rounders on offensive linemen since 2015....and Falcons fans wonder why their team is consistent and ours isn't?

So have we, and actually used higher picks.

Sorry had to edit because I see you used 2015 to set the agenda...Matthews was #6 in the 14' draft.

Edited by PointSwayzee