Jump to content

Pick 4


Recommended Posts

We’re all just spit balling anyway. It’s a long way to draft week. There are some sleepers who will be in 2-3 round. I think it would be risky to skip a QB because we don’t pick this low often.  There’s more than 1 right answer but as good as Ryan has been, sure, best we’ve had, he’s not going to be faster and more aggressive and more hungry next year.  He’s going to play next season a little more conservatively than this season. It’s time to prepare. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no genuine idea who we should pick at 4, or whether we should trade it etc.  I would rather poach a proven backup QB from another team.  I don't knownwhat the future holds with Benkert, but my guess the backup slot is currently his to lose.

Selecting a QB makes as much sense as taking the best player available on defense to me.  I don't see how we go wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also for those against drafting a QB, you can't use the phrase '... well if MR goes down then we are screwed anyways' anymore this next season. Everyone is always saying how we need a backup, you know we need a future QB, you get the two-for-one by drafting one now. I will add that we need one with great intangibles, not no d@mn project.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

I would take Fields over Wilson but I honestly don’t think we are going QB at 4. Just a feeling 

I don’t think so either.  We likely target a QB in 2023.  As for this year, it’s anyone’s guess.  In the right system I think Wilson can be top 5 QB in football (49ers, Packers and possibly under Arthur Smith).  But put him in the Gase-led Jets or Koetter-led Falcons and he will struggle.  
 

Fields isn’t as NFL ready but has the higher ceiling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, red falcon said:

If the qb is not generational i would not pull the trigger at 4.

Ah “generational”...  the new “elite”.  It’s just a word.  I see so many people that are more interested in flash over substance.  Not saying you are but I see this word coming up more and more.  Everyone seems to think mobile QBs are a new thing, they aren’t.  Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, and countless others want a word with some of you.  
 

Matt Ryan is still a very good QB and I think he is going to thrive in Smith’s offense.  I pass on QB in the 1st for sure.  Trade down if we can and if not take Sewell, Parsons, Surtain, or whomever the FO thinks can help our defense.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Killing Floor said:

I like Fields and I like that we’ve seen how he performs in big games against heavy competition. I like that he can throw a rope for distance but also take the 1st down into his own hands /feet if needed. He’s a fighter.  

Who knows what happens between now and combine and pro days and all the coaching turnstiles.  Can’t guess who we’ll actually pick.  Ryan isn’t forever.  Ryan isn’t Rodgers, let that go.  The next season will be a transition anyway so it’s the perfect time to bring in a future QB even if they don’t start.

If I can dream build and we don’t pick a QB this year I’d hope for Sam Howell next time. 

I'm throwing the BS Red Flag on the "He's a Fighter" narrative. 

Exhibit A - Fighters don't come in as college Freshmen, with a QB ahead of you that just started in a National Championship game, behave like Fields did and ultimately go Transfer Portal after one season and use the angle he used to get immediate eligibility at OSU.

There are many that will disagree with my opinion and I respect you still. Flame Away if you feel compelled to do so. This is one persons opinion based on my experiences and value system. Fields may have matured since then, will continue to mature more, and I hope that's the case and he has a lot of success...  but as of right now, he ain't "my guy" that I'm picking to go to battle with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A-TowN.- said:

Dang man I was wondering where you’ve been! Didn’t realize you did a name change. Always respect your insight and opinion man.

Yep, it's me.  

Hey man, that Josh Allen kid we talked about, before anyone knew who he was, has turned out pretty good it seems.

And Corey Davis finally got it going...  was beginning to think I'd lost my mind with him!  LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I don’t think so either.  We likely target a QB in 2023.  As for this year, it’s anyone’s guess.  In the right system I think Wilson can be top 5 QB in football (49ers, Packers and possibly under Arthur Smith).  But put him in the Gase-led Jets or Koetter-led Falcons and he will struggle.  
 

Fields isn’t as NFL ready but has the higher ceiling

Fields isn’t ready but neither is Wilson imo. Both need to sit a year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Ah “generational”...  the new “elite”.  It’s just a word.  I see so many people that are more interested in flash over substance.  Not saying you are but I see this word coming up more and more.  Everyone seems to think mobile QBs are a new thing, they aren’t.  Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, and countless others want a word with some of you.  
 

Matt Ryan is still a very good QB and I think he is going to thrive in Smith’s offense.  I pass on QB in the 1st for sure.  Trade down if we can and if not take Sewell, Parsons, Surtain, or whomever the FO thinks can help our defense.  

Im fine with matt for another year or so. Who ever we bring in at qb wont help next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, PapaJoe said:

I'm throwing the BS Red Flag on the "He's a Fighter" narrative. 

Exhibit A - Fighters don't come in as college Freshmen, with a QB ahead of you that just started in a National Championship game, behave like Fields did and ultimately go Transfer Portal after one season and use the angle he used to get immediate eligibility at OSU.

There are many that will disagree with my opinion and I respect you still. Flame Away if you feel compelled to do so. This is one persons opinion based on my experiences and value system. Fields may have matured since then, will continue to mature more, and I hope that's the case and he has a lot of success...  but as of right now, he ain't "my guy" that I'm picking to go to battle with.

No flame here, brother. None of us do the choosing. We both want the same thing. And none of us have the slightest idea what’s going to happen when draft week rolls up. We’re just spitting.  Rise Up!  We will be in the post again soon. 
 

And the blast is that any pick we make might be a future HoF or might be a bust. So I’ll make this deal with you today, opening kickoff I’m wearing my Bart 10 white jersey and yelling at my TV with you. Or maybe in a seat, if that’s a thing next year. Win or lose this is who I’m cheering for. Since 1972. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Fields isn’t ready but neither is Wilson imo. Both need to sit a year

and that's the thing....  roll into 2021, maybe 2022, with Matt and build team via Draft and FA; perhaps be good again quickly and get W's. You have to believe the Falcons will improve enough immediately to make being in this draft position HIGHLY unlikely without expending massive draft capital down the line somewhere...  and by that time you might be in a similar CAP/Roster scenario all over again AND NEEDING a legit QB to plug in.  If Fields or Wilson is at #4 it makes sense to draft one, sit him for up to two years and roll with him all ready to go. Meanwhile you have your roster building going on in 2021, 2022, 2023 drafts and FA to keep success rolling along. Spending the ONE draft pick at #4 this draft to get a likely franchise QB, when the other positions we have major needs at are not synching up with talent to match the pick position just makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Why would we want a game manager for the future of this team ? (Ryan isn’t a game manager now I don’t think yet) but no telling in 2 years) and why are we postponing locking up our future QB so we don’t have to do this in 2 to 3 years...yall need to let go of that cowboy into the sunset ******** cause it’s likely not happening here..and look towards the falcons future. It’s like some of our fans want to hold on to pieces of the past regime by wanting incompetence 

Ummm i on no way shape or form said i wanted to ride into the sunset with matt. We can still win with him, he just isnt capable of carrying the team.

You say lock up a qb for the future but you also dont know if it will pan out. Qbs bust all the time.

You can build the team and find a guy that doesn't have to be put of this world to win. A house is only as strong as its foundation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Ummm i on no way shape or form said i wanted to ride into the sunset with matt. We can still win with him, he just isnt capable of carrying the team.

You say lock up a qb for the future but you also dont know if it will pan out. Qbs bust all the time.

You can build the team and find a guy that doesn't have to be put of this world to win. A house is only as strong as its foundation.

You don’t know if any pick will pan out so miss me with that take..you can draft the QB and build the rest of the team through the draft (The draft doesn’t end after round 1) and FA both can be done is what you and others are failing to realize.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

You don’t know if any pick will pan out so miss me with that take..you can draft the QB and build the rest of the team through the draft (The draft doesn’t end after round 1) and FA both can be done is what you and others are failing to realize.

This true but if a top 10 qb bust is that not a lager impact than other positions drafted around the same time or pick?

Mahommes might be the only one in a while that was drafted top 15 and won it.

Edited by red falcon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, red falcon said:

This true but if a top 10 qb bust is that not a lager impact than other positions drafted around the same time or pick?

Mahommes might be the only one in a while that was drafted top 15 and won it.

It doesn’t matter we are going to need a qb soon..we take the qb now ..Ryan was took at 3 and couldn’t win it is he a bust ? (No) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, realhomie81 said:

So this question is more for those who feel we should go QB at 4 (I'm one those people).  And no I'm not saying draft a QB so we can find a way to unload Matt Ryan this year. Matt has at least 2 to 3 good years left given the right system but it's more than likely his last season as a Falcon. So, we need to prepare for that and already having our hopefully future franchise QB already here and being groomed by one the best to ever do it on and off the field would be great way to start a new QB era. With that being said, my question is; which QB is more likely to be a better NFL player Fields or Wilson?  I know this question has probably been asked numerous of times but I'm asking again. 

Well, that's funny because I had not even looked at the new post, And I gave my opinion on our first pick ,, I will say this for sure.. If we don't trade down , I think we should fill the backup role for QB,, This draft is set up perfect for us to take a future starter at QB , and to let him be backup until Ryan is ready to step down and retire..  So if we keep 4 ,  IMO should be a back up QB , and as I just made a post on.. But if we want a couple more picks than we have , we could trade down to 8 or 10,, Get a Great player ,, hopefully a top DE , Not to mention any names , his initials are Gregory Rousseau !!   :slick:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, PapaJoe said:

and that's the thing....  roll into 2021, maybe 2022, with Matt and build team via Draft and FA; perhaps be good again quickly and get W's. You have to believe the Falcons will improve enough immediately to make being in this draft position HIGHLY unlikely without expending massive draft capital down the line somewhere...  and by that time you might be in a similar CAP/Roster scenario all over again AND NEEDING a legit QB to plug in.  If Fields or Wilson is at #4 it makes sense to draft one, sit him for up to two years and roll with him all ready to go. Meanwhile you have your roster building going on in 2021, 2022, 2023 drafts and FA to keep success rolling along. Spending the ONE draft pick at #4 this draft to get a likely franchise QB, when the other positions we have major needs at are not synching up with talent to match the pick position just makes sense.

Yes but the issue with Wilson is his surgically repaired throwing surgery. Have to make sure with his unorthodox throwing motion that won’t impact him. His medicals is one reason I’m big on not drafting him at 4. Because with him being a runner you have to expect he will get hurt. And I don’t mean injured just hurt. Just too much risk for my money. I don’t expect Fields to be there at 4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But even if we don't take a QB with our first pick,, and even if we do... I still would like to trade down from 4 to still get a great player and a couple more fairly high picks..  I mean,, think about it.  Would you like  9 or 10 picks ? Or 7 or 8 picks?   :shrug: Maybe I should say wouldn't you like to have two more picks than we have now?  :mmmhmm:  A BIG YES !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Yes but the issue with Wilson is his surgically repaired throwing surgery. Have to make sure with his unorthodox throwing motion that won’t impact him. His medicals is one reason I’m big on not drafting him at 4. Because with him being a runner you have to expect he will get hurt. And I don’t mean injured just hurt. Just too much risk for my money. I don’t expect Fields to be there at 4

there is certainly a lot that has to be considered in drafting Wilson high for every team.  The little info I've seen on the shoulder issue doesn't paint a picture of concern to me, but the professionals with the info available will ultimately decide on that point.

Fields is at least as much of a runner as Wilson; yes he is bigger, but that isn't a guaranteed benefit one over the other. Wilson demonstrates, repeatedly, the ability to and savvy of sliding and avoiding hits. Fields...  not so much.

Lawrence also is mobile, runs, and is going to get hit in the NFL. He is taller but he isn't a big dude either. People aren't downplaying him for it and Wilson is every bit as elusive, or more than, as Lawrence or Fields are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I still say take the best player on the board when we pick. No matter what position. Yes even QB. Not sure who that will be but we will soon see. Keep doing that in every round and every draft and we will be stacked. Trust me.

I can agree with this If we  Need that position...  To me it does matter if we need that position or not.. I mean ,, Why would we take a player that we don't need ...? :shrug:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

I can agree with this If we  Need that position...  To me it does matter if we need that position or not.. I mean ,, Why would we take a player that we don't need ...? :shrug:

To get stacked. Loaded with great players. We don't know what we'll need in any given year. Things change from week to week. Dimi troffed us with needs based drafting for 13 years. That's how we ended up with guys like SackmakerBaker, Jelly, King Konz, Featherspoon, Bustley and Talk McKinney. Don't make me list the beasts we passed on for them. The only time Dimi ever went true BPA was when he took Ridley in 2018. At a position that wasn't a need (DT was the need that year). That's looking like a butta move at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

To get stacked. Loaded with great players. We don't know what we'll need in any given year. Things change from week to week. Dimi troffed us with needs based drafting for 13 years. That's how we ended up with guys like SackmakerBaker, Jelly, King Konz, Featherspoon, Bustley and Talk McKinney. Don't make me list the beasts we passed on for them. The only time Dimi ever went BPA was when he took Ridley in 2018. At a position that wasn't a need (DT was the need that year). That's looking like a butta move at this point. Any questions?

Well, let me say it like this.. If you had a puzzle and needed about 4 or 5 pieces to finish the puzzle,,  Would you want just any 4 pieces to finish the puzzle?  No, you would need to get the exact 4 pieces to finish the Puzzle with no holes left .  See what I mean?  WE need the whole puzzle put together with no holes left.  And we need to try and fill the holes of this team , So we'll have all the players to win a SB with.  It's amazing how many times with our team and with other teams in the NFL , ,we say,, if we just had .............. so and so,, WE would have won that game.  Bottom line is... We have to have a whole team.. without the pieces missing.  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Well, let me say it like this.. If you had a puzzle and needed about 4 or 5 pieces to finish the puzzle,,  Would you want just any 4 pieces to finish the puzzle?  No, you would need to get the exact 4 pieces to finish the Puzzle with no holes left .  See what I mean?  WE need the whole puzzle put together with no holes left.  And we need to try and fill the holes of this team , So we'll have all the players to win a SB with.  It's amazing how many times with our team and with other teams in the NFL , ,we say,, if we just had .............. so and so,, WE would have won that game.  Bottom line is... We have to have a whole team.. without the pieces missing.  ;)

Bottom line is there are three ways to find puzzle pieces. Draft, free agency and trades. TATF thinks the draft is the only way to build a roster. That's how you get in trouble. I believe you draft for the future and fill gaping holes with guys that know how to play NFL football on day one. Not NCAA rookie boys that take 2-3 years to develop. If ever. With that said, Dimi left us in a 2021 cap chasm that will have to be addressed with NFL rooks. Troffed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...