If we found a trade partner, what compensation could we expect moving to the 8-12 range?

I am not fascinated with the prospects of picking a qb this year (sorry all you justin fields homers). Several questions come to my mind regarding this draft. 1st. We have 7 or 8 picks right? 2nd. What will we get for fontenot diversity hire? 3rd. What could we expect in return for a trade back within the 8-12 range? I know i could look some of this up, but some of you guys have enough football smarts to spit it out like common knowledge.

Just now, marvinthemartian said:

I hope it wasn’t a diversity hire. I hope he was the best person for the job. 

I didn't mean it that way at all. From what I've read, he is the best man for the job. But, if the rule is there I'm all for taking advantage.

Just now, Williamb said:

I didn't mean it that way at all. From what I've read, he is the best man for the job. But, if the rule is there I'm all for taking advantage.

Absolutely. LOL it’s like I don’t give my tithes and offerings at my church to get a tax deduction. HOWEVER, if the IRS wants to let me deduct it I will gladly take it. Same principle. 

2 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

It applies to GM and HC but it's the team we're hiring from that gets the picks, not us. Also the picks aren't being given out for a few years I think.

Yeah i knew the taints will get 2 3rds but i woundered if the diversity thing applied. I'm basically trying to figure the total number of picks we could possibly end up with.

1 minute ago, marvinthemartian said:

If I could get that from a team picking 8-12 I believe I would do that trade. Then next year, if there is a QB you are enamored with, package two number 1s and move up and get him. 

I agree totally. It's not like this is the only year qbs are produced. I don't see generational talent, which is the claim, in any of them. I would rather build a team first.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Noone really goes by it point for point but the trade value chart exists as a general guide for pick values.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Thanks @athell. I've seen the chart but some teams just value the pick or the player more than others. I was kinda hoping that people like yourself would offer a hunch or educated guess.

19 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

I hope it wasn’t a diversity hire. I hope he was the best person for the job and, as of now, I’ve seen or heard nothing to make me think otherwise. 

At the end if the day, I gotta think that diversity means nothing in business. Its the best man/woman for the job. California may feel otherwise, but we don't have those same principles in Georgia. Most people could care less what your skin color is. Its about what you bring to the table. That being said I'm not happy that the Taints get two 3rd Rd compensatory picks for Fontenot but thats the world we live in. I'm very optimistic about both hirings 

33 minutes ago, Williamb said:

I am not fascinated with the prospects of picking a qb this year (sorry all you justin fields homers). Several questions come to my mind regarding this draft. 1st. We have 7 or 8 picks right? 2nd. What will we get for fontenot diversity hire? 3rd. What could we expect in return for a trade back within the 8-12 range? I know i could look some of this up, but some of you guys have enough football smarts to spit it out like common knowledge.

Anything from swapping first round picks plus 2nd and 3rd and a 1st in the following year to swap+2nd and 4th and next year's 1st.

1 hour ago, Williamb said:

Thanks @athell. I've seen the chart but some teams just value the pick or the player more than others. I was kinda hoping that people like yourself would offer a hunch or educated guess.

Yeah it's hard to say honestly.  It really depends on the player the team wanted and how badly they wanted them but here's some recent examples:

• Lamar Jackson — Baltimore Ravens gave up a second- and a fourth-round pick in 2018, along with their 2019 second-round pick, to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for the No. 32 overall pick in 2018, along with Philly’s fourth-round selection.
  • Josh Rosen — Arizona Cardinals gave up pick Nos. 15, 79 and 152 to the Oakland Raiders for the 10th overall selection in 2018.
  • Josh Allen — Buffalo Bills sent their own 2018 first rounder (No. 12 overall) to move up to seventh overall, also giving up two second-round picks and getting the No. 255 overall pick from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
  • Sam Darnold — New York Jets sent 2018 pick Nos. 6, 37 and 49 overall, plus a 2019 second rounder, to the Indianapolis Colts’ first-round pick (No. 3 overall).

https://ninernoise.com/2019/02/11/nfl-draft-brief-history-trade-ups-quarterbacks/

2 hours ago, Williamb said:

Let me ask you this, when will you be fascinated in selecting a qb?? Do you actually forsee us picking in the top 15 the next 3 years or no??