WHY I don't want to draft a QB this year

Notice I said THIS YEAR.  We have more pressing needs. Our O Line is pathetically sub standard. They can neither open holes for the RB , nor keep Ryan upright. Poor Ryan has taken more hits than Joe Frazier.  We will need at least a LG and maybe a Center, and a Swing Tackle.  If we get a dynamic RB, he will be of little use on running plays if there are no holes to run through, which also negates play action.  A three down RB with elusiveness and power , would go a long way to revitalizing this offense, but only with a strong O Line.  Our Defensive pass rush , except for Grady has been an absolute joke for way too long.  We need a couple of bad *** pass rushers to get in the opposing backfields on a regular basis, and we need a competent Corner and possibly a Safety.  In addition we will need a "B' team to back up the Starters.  All of these needs are much more critical than a rookie QB.

I know many of you are being dazzled by Lamar Jackson, Mahomes and others, but they are the exceptions rather than the rule , Think of all the flash in the pan rookies who were College stars , but never made it in the NFL. That's a chance too expensive to take. I Know you call Ryan 'Noodle Arm" but you know that's not true. Matt can make every throw necessary in the NFL, he doesn't have the arm of a Brett Favre or a Lamar Jackson, and he is not a scrambler, but neither is Brees or Brady , and they have done pretty well in the NFL.   Ryan is a fully capable , NFL franchise QB , who still has a good bit of tread on his tires, contrary to the guys who are lusting for a college QB.  Any College QB will sit on the bench for at least two years, learning the ways of the NFL, learning to read NFL defenses etc.  He will serve no useful purpose for those two years.

This team is not in a full rebuild mode . We have All Pro players in Ryan , Julio, Ridley, Grady and a few others. With the right tweaks to the areas I have mentioned, and a new coaching staff we can be competitive quickly.  A rookie QB would not contribute one iota to that.  There will be plenty of flashy college QBs a couple of years from now. That will be the time to pick a successor to Ryan, not now.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if zach wilson lands on our laps we take him no questions asked. if not then i agree.

Give me Mac Jones over Wilson.

I don’t think the line is that bad.  Scheme change will help drastically, we don’t know what we really have in Hennesey or Gono, and we haven’t seen McGary in a competent scheme. I agree with no QB

Posted Images

I don’t think the line is that bad.  Scheme change will help drastically, we don’t know what we really have in Hennesey or Gono, and we haven’t seen McGary in a competent scheme.

I agree with no QB this year, or at least top of the draft.  If we trade back and take one mid first or later I’ll be good. 

7 minutes ago, Rings said:

I don’t think the line is that bad.  Scheme change will help drastically, we don’t know what we really have in Hennesey or Gono, and we haven’t seen McGary in a competent scheme.

I agree with no QB this year, or at least top of the draft.  If we trade back and take one mid first or later I’ll be good. 

Gono is a FA. Just saying. 

In before the cussing!

Matt Ryan has the 2nd longest time in pocket in the NFL averaging 2.6 seconds all season. Only Bake has more time at 2.7. Add to that Ryan’s very high quantity of air yards.  And only 15 scrambles all season.  He gets blitzed on 3rd down because any coach knows cover Ridley and Jones and blitz and Ryan grounds the ball.  It’s a defensive no-brainer.  So blame the right tackle.  Ryan had all effin day because we have a good O line.  

There is simply no mathematical discussion here.  Only reason Ryan gets sacked is he waits too long to make a decision. He has all day in football terms. But sure, wait all day and the pocket collapses so must be the guard’s fault.  The complaint here on TATF is that league leading protection of pocket isn’t enough for Ryan to make better decisions under pressure. It’s the NFL. The QB is SUPPOSED to be under pressure. The WL depends on how they handle it. Maybe move his feet and we won’t be sitting here at 4-12 next year. 

Edited by Killing Floor
1 hour ago, Rings said:

Yeah, trading back is a no brainer, We need all the choices we can get

1 hour ago, Killing Floor said:

In before the cussing!

Matt Ryan has the 2nd longest time in pocket in the NFL averaging 2.6 seconds all season. Only Bake has more time at 2.7. Add to that Ryan’s very high quantity of air yards.  And only 15 scrambles all season.  He gets blitzed on 3rd down because any coach knows cover Ridley and Jones and blitz and Ryan grounds the ball.  It’s a defensive no-brainer.  So blame the right tackle.  Ryan had all effin day because we have a good O line.  

There is simply no mathematical discussion here.  Only reason Ryan gets sacked is he waits too long to make a decision. He has all day in football terms. But sure, wait all day and the pocket collapses so must be the guard’s fault.  The complaint here on TATF is that league leading protection of pocket isn’t enough for Ryan to make better decisions under pressure. It’s the NFL. The QB is SUPPOSED to be under pressure. The WL depends on how they handle it. Maybe move his feet and we won’t be sitting here at 4-12 next year. 

ummmm, 2.5 seconds is not, "All day"   Receivers being open also might have a lot to do with it, Julio has been out most of the year, and Ridley has been hurt some.  Look at all the time that Rodgers, Brady have , they stand back there and just look  around,  By that time Ryan in digging the dirt out od his face mask, Your mathematics are a bit twisted, and we DON'T have a good O line..

2 minutes ago, Hard Case said:

ummmm, 2.5 seconds is not, "All day"   Receivers being open also might have a lot to do with it, Julio has been out most of the year, and Ridley has been hurt some.  Look at all the time that Rodgers, Brady have , they stand back there and just look  around,  By that time Ryan in digging the dirt out od his face mask, Your mathematics are a bit twisted, and we DON'T have a good O line..

image.thumb.png.56a800f692776862aafbbd4e80ef71c6.png

Average Time in the pocket... MATT HAS THE MOST.

But yea its our OL...

In before the cussing!

That’s not what the stat says, it says how long a QB took to get rid of the ball. Every one knows DK long developing plays. If you want Ryan gone, just say so. No need to twist the stats. 

8 minutes ago, Hard Case said:

Fact is he has 2nd most time in NFL. Fact is he has top 5 pass yards. Fact is over 95% of snaps are pass plays. You can’t come at me with math that pins this on the O line. But you can tell me Ryan is never to blame for his performance. I already know that. 

Since it can’t be Ryan’s fault no matter what, are you saying Jones and Ridley can’t get open?  Should we be looking for a WR?  Really?

Edited by Killing Floor
1 minute ago, Killing Floor said:

Fact is he has 2nd most time in NFL. Fact is he has top 5 pass yards. Fact is over 95% of snaps are pass plays. You can’t come at me with math that pins this on the O line. But you can tell me Ryan is never to blame for his performance. I already know that. 

Fact is you don’t know what the stat means. Lol.

52 minutes ago, Someday soon said:

I could make an argument that we need to draft two QB's this year.  Wait till the Falcons get nervous and trade up to secure one.

Trade UP ?????????

4 minutes ago, jetpac said:

image.thumb.png.56a800f692776862aafbbd4e80ef71c6.png

Average Time in the pocket... MATT HAS THE MOST.

But yea its our OL...

Glad you agree, it IS mainly the O Line . LOL  My eyes crossed trying to read those stats. Stats can be interpreted most any way, especially biased stats.

2 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

You are denying the obvious, our O line is not above average, and Mat is a top, level QB.

42 minutes ago, jetpac said:

WHY I don't care if you don't want to draft a QB this year. And why we should.

The chances of us drafting this high again in the future is slim. You get the playmaking QB that is available to you at #4 now (Groom him) give Matt 2-3 more years and you have your future set.

If we aren't drafting that high in the future, we probably don't need a QB as badly as people think. And the best QBs in the NFL weren't taken in the top 5 regardless, ya gotta have the team around a rook.

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

If we aren't drafting that high in the future, we probably don't need a QB as badly as people think. And the best QBs in the NFL weren't taken in the top 5 regardless, ya gotta have the team around a rook.

Right, Watson, Lamar and Mahomes were all Top 5? In fact top 5 in last few drafts were duds. 

In before the cussing!

Ryan gets pressured and sacked because Koetter keeps running a scheme of 4 Verticals as the base. It takes forever to let those routes develop and with no viable run game most of the time the Defense just tees off down after down.

The only person that is a bigger fool than Koetter is the clown that hired him, and the clown(s) that have not fired him!!