Let's not do this....this time...

Rewind:   We hired Dan Quinn from Seattle.   We immediately started our plug-n-play trying to create Seattle 2.0.  Who is playing the Cam Chancellor role....blah...blah...blah.   Instead of letting the guy just implement his system and form our own identity.

Present day:  We hire Arthur Smith.  Before the ink can dry on the contract here we go again.  We don't have a Derek Henry.  Well, guess what?   No team does.

This new guy has a clean slate.  Let's just see what he creates.  He's under enough pressure as it is.

Edited by RED_N_BLACK_98
  • RED_N_BLACK_98 changed the title to Let's not do this....this time...

I agree brotha but everyone is excited about an offensive minded coach. We are in a great mood in Falcons Nation. 

Some of these folks don't remember them Dirty Birdz days. Man they was so lit..I remember I always wanted to go to my relatives in ATL every summer and I lived 1hr away muscogee county baby

20 minutes ago, RED_N_BLACK_98 said:

Rewind:   We hired Dan Quinn from Seattle.   We immediately started our plug-n-play trying to create Seattle 2.0.  Who is playing the Cam Chancellor role....blah...blah...blah.   Instead of letting the guy just implement his system and form our own identity.

Present day:  We hire Arthur Smith.  Before the ink can dry on the contract here we go again.  We don't have a Derek Henry.  Well, guess what?   No team does.

This new guy has a clean slate.  Let's just see what he creates.  He's under enough pressure as it is.

What about a derrick Henry 😁

23 minutes ago, RED_N_BLACK_98 said:

I don't think he's listening to us.  If he is, I want to fire him and have a re-do.

11 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

I agree brotha but everyone is excited about an offensive minded coach. We are in a great mood in Falcons Nation. 

Some of these folks don't remember them Dirty Birdz days. Man they was so lit..I remember I always wanted to go to my relatives in ATL every summer and I lived 1hr away muscogee county baby

Represent!!

Hometown

Arthur Smith will follow his philosophy to build the team. DQ was Seattle, so he tried to  use that blue print. Every coach has their own ideas to build the team. I am interested to see what Arthur Smith wants to build in ATL. My guess is more balanced offense with Run game and a good solid defense.

28 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Yeah, that’s the biggest head scratcher of the Matt Ryan era. On a franchise that heavily investEd in offensive pieces over 12 years, it was a revolving door or coordinators, head coaches with no offensive mindset, and the cherry on top with Blank’s mandate to get explosive. That’s like buying a Ferrari and hiring Hyundai mechanics to work on it. 

55 minutes ago, RED_N_BLACK_98 said:

The solution is simple and I have posted in many times before, mostly in protest of what was happening under Quinn.  This is a recap.  The GM and HC have to evaluate the players.  OK, sounds obvious.  Except, that it was not being done correctly in the past.  Never mind getting down to the roster, you have to evaluate your players.  Here are some examples where it shows this was not done correctly:

Matt Ryan was expected to throw 50 yard strikes.  He has lost the ability to do that consistently.  Try it once in a while just to unsettle a defense, but don't waste 5-6 plays every game.

The OL was expected to pass block almost exclusively from the second quarter on.  This line is not built for that.

Run deep routes and try to get picks 30 to 40 yards downfield in the 3rd and 4th quarter.  The line is not built for that, especially after pass blocking as much as they do.

And, the effect is just not on the offense, the resulting 3 and outs wears the defense out.

What does Ryan do well?  What can the OL do consistently?  What routes will allow the receivers, quarterback, and all blockers to work together and make plays?  How do you establish a running game with this OL and this RB crew?  Don't guess.  Don't do what worked for you in college.  Don't try what worked at your last NFL team.  Evaluate your players and your team and make a plan that works for them. 

You really have to be lazy or stupid to miss on this.  I do not like throwing insults at folks, but it appears our coaching staff was one of these.

If I were McKay, I would be on top of this.  I would ask the coaching staff how they were going to establish a run game.  I would then ask, can this RB do that consistently?  Can the FB block the guy at that spot?  Can the guard and tackle open that gap consistently?  It does not take a great deal of football knowledge.  Just look at the moving parts and ask questions.  Don't accept "sure they can", or "I think so".  Demand well thought answers explaining why or why not. 

You may have just drawn up the greatest play in football, but if you do not have the personnel and the system to run it, it is worthless to you. 

Analyze, plan, review, practice, test, implement.

1 hour ago, RED_N_BLACK_98 said:

Thank you!!!!!!! 

Usually I'm all in on a big back. There's a few. Harris, Williams, Stevenson, Sermon, etc

I would actually like to see what Hubbard or Etienne could do in this system as well. I say double dip into RB. There is also Patterson IIRC from Buffalo a few here like so much. Pair him with a bruiser and see what you get.

54 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Arthur Smith will follow his philosophy to build the team. DQ was Seattle, so he tried to  use that blue print. Every coach has their own ideas to build the team. I am interested to see what Arthur Smith wants to build in ATL. My guess is more balanced offense with Run game and a good solid defense.

I hope so too. DQ tried to replicate LOB. Artie seems a little more flexible - to create a system based on the strengths of our core roster.....hopefully. 

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Usually I'm all in on a big back. There's a few. Harris, Williams, Stevenson, Sermon, etc

I would actually like to see what Hubbard or Etienne could do in this system as well. I say double dip into RB. There is also Patterson IIRC from Buffalo a few here like so much. Pair him with a bruiser and see what you get.

What about Ollison? He has a similar physical make up of Henry. Too bad DK never gave him a chance to figured how to use him. His college tape is pretty good. Hope he gets a chance with Artie

Just now, booty-mane said:

What about Ollison? He has a similar physical make up of Henry. Too bad DK never gave him a chance to figured how to use him. His college tape is pretty good. Hope he gets a chance with Artie

I have a similar physical make to Sheffield. You want me to play CB? It doesnt work that way man. Plus, you dont need a bruiser. As much as I love them...favorite type of back. Dont back yourself into a corner like this. 

5 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I have a similar physical make to Sheffield. You want me to play CB? It doesnt work that way man. Plus, you dont need a bruiser. As much as I love them...favorite type of back. Dont back yourself into a corner like this. 

Yea definitely not saying that type of back is what we should go down but I am curious if he will function well in a system like Tennessee. Ultimately comes down to the strengths of our OL and the type of system Artie is envisioning but point taken

10 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Hubbard, Etienne, or similar back I agree with. They have the speed to bust a big run at any time, but still have enough size to run through an arm tackle. I would also be happy to see one of the Harris, Williams, Stevenson type backs. Tbh, the only thing I really don't want to see is Patterson, I just don't see it in him.

21 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I was thinking the same thing recently.  If we do trade down off 4th, we can double dip quite easily and create a unique backfield.

A combo of Harris or Williams with Gainwell/l or Hubbard would be pretty dang sweet