Is the 2nd Rd too high for Sermon?

46 minutes ago, atljbo said:

3rd round.... A round to early.

I would target Najee and Williams in the 2nd.... If we are looking at the 3rd round i would look at Sermon and Kenneth Gainwell

Gainwell is an interesting guy. Maybe a Kamara type guy potentially. Not opposed to him at all in the 3rd-4th. I reckon this year will be a watch and see approach with Arthur Smith but it goes without saying we need a RB to come in and compete for #1 reps. Hopefully Fontenot feels the same way

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, because Javonte Williams will still be there in the 2nd for us.

At our 2nd - Yes too high mainly because of his durability questions. I really like him though.

It's worth trading back into the first to get the fifth year option for najee imo.

10 minutes ago, Foo Falcons said:

Gainwell is an interesting guy. Maybe a Kamara type guy potentially. Not opposed to him at all in the 3rd-4th. I reckon this year will be a watch and see approach with Arthur Smith but it goes without saying we need a RB to come in and compete for #1 reps. Hopefully Fontenot feels the same way

RB is the most glaring need by far on offense. It's a sure bet they'll be adding a potential starter come draft time.

Just now, Dr Long Shot said:

RB is the most glaring need by far on offense. It's a sure bet they'll be adding a potential starter come draft time.

I definitely think so too. Whether it's round 2 or 5 remains to be seen. Gotta think it's a priority. TE I think will surprise us as an early round pick as well with Arthur Smith, though this class isn't exactly strong in that category. All the more reason to trade down and accumulate picks

3 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Biggest team needs are:

Safety, DE, CB, RB in that order imo.

Well DL should be first and foremost. Retaining Neal and a healthy Kazee help at Safety. Yeah I'm definitely looking at safety Rds 2+ but as far as an immediate need: gotta say DE, CB, HB, DT, TE, S in that order. Its gonna be fun to see how Fontenot and Smith feel about this though. Gonna be a fun next few months 

That said, I'm not sold on Kazee at FS. Holland and Cisco make a lotta sense Rds 2-4. It just depends on what the coaching/GM staff prioritize.

7 hours ago, Jesus said:

The Falcons haven't drafted a running back above the 3rd round since Hanspard in 1997.

TJ Duckett, round 1, 2002...that said we haven’t drafted them high, but I don’t think it means the position isn’t valued. We have spent money on the position in free agency vs drafting them (Dunn, Turner) though that’s not necessarily a smart strategy overall.

I think he'll be on the board in the 3rd due to injury concerns. I also wonder if Smith just goes a different direction with the type of RB he wants here. Maybe he goes best talent available rather than trying to get a Derrick Henry clone. Could end up with Gainwell or Hubbard after addressing all the defensive needs in the earlier rounds. 

8 hours ago, Foo Falcons said:

I haven't watched any of Patterson so I'll look into him. I like Stevenson for sure. I agree its high and a 3rd or 4th would be ideal. I just don't wanna miss out on him and Harris. Plenty of good RBs in the draft but, up to this point, none of the rest measure up to the top two guys. I know DE, CB, S, LG are likely better options in Rds 2-3 and hopefully Arthur Smith can make one of the 2nd tier RBs work all the same. I just love the thought of Harris or Sermon on this team and thats what begged the question. 

As we know, mock drafts differ quite a bit from reality. So its just an interesting discussion of IF we take him would it be too high or cause a stir. I like him nonetheless obviously and wouldn't mind it, recent shoulder injury or not. Just imagine Matty Ice having a consistent running game again.. "music to my ear hairs."

What we also need is a FB/TE hybrid and I have just the guy: Pat Freiermuth. I want him on the Falcons.

11 hours ago, Foo Falcons said:

I knew I was missing a guy. I like him too along with Hubbard and Carter but none of them are big bruising guys like we need. In a perfect world Ollison becomes that guy or whomever we pick works in this system regardless of size but a bigger guy that can break tackles has been sorely missed here for a while 

Just curious why do we need a bruiser?. 

3 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

TJ Duckett, round 1, 2002...that said we haven’t drafted them high, but I don’t think it means the position isn’t valued. We have spent money on the position in free agency vs drafting them (Dunn, Turner) though that’s not necessarily a smart strategy overall.

Don’t know how I missed him then I remembered how forgettable he was.

13 hours ago, Foo Falcons said:

I knew I was missing a guy. I like him too along with Hubbard and Carter but none of them are big bruising guys like we need. In a perfect world Ollison becomes that guy or whomever we pick works in this system regardless of size but a bigger guy that can break tackles has been sorely missed here for a while 

Ollison has done pretty well when he got his chances, especially LAST year. but this year, similar to Freeman, Dirk let him ride the pine all year. I hope he gets a shot, and that Brian Hill is not resigned

13 hours ago, Jesus said:

The Falcons haven't drafted a running back above the 3rd round since Hanspard in 1997.

13 hours ago, Jesus said:

That's why I running is trash. We getting retread free agents

4 hours ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Just curious why do we need a bruiser?. 

Its something we've lacked since Turner. It may not be a necessity, look no further than 2016, but its a nice option to have and helps wear down a defense. Ollison is big but hasn't shown me anything to think he's a pile mover. I don't necessarily think its a must have in Smiths offense, but again, its nice to have it as an option and would compliment Ito well

5 hours ago, celtiksage said:

What we also need is a FB/TE hybrid and I have just the guy: Pat Freiermuth. I want him on the Falcons.

I definitely think we're gonna draft a TE as a high priority this year. Whether we its a hybrid type guy or big blocker with recieving ability, we need a reliable TE2. I look into Freiermuth

1 hour ago, Foo Falcons said:

I definitely think we're gonna draft a TE as a high priority this year. Whether we its a hybrid type guy or big blocker with recieving ability, we need a reliable TE2. I look into Freiermuth

I think you'll like him. One of my favorites this draft.

14 hours ago, Foo Falcons said:

As stated above I agree its high but with Arthur Smith at the helm a solid running game is necessary, like with any team. Hubbard, Williams, Smith, etc are all good later round guys but don't provide the same upside. Id be happy with Ettiene even in the 2nd, even though he's not a bruiser like we need, because he is maybe the best all around guy in the draft. I just wanna run smashmouth football man

Even so, no need to over-draft a back. I’d find it hard to understand, for example, if Sermon was as high or higher ranked than Javonte Williams, who may go in the 2nd or 3rd. Most analysts have a 4th-5th round rank on Sermon.  He’ll be there later, and Falcons should just go BPA. Drafting/reaching for need rarely works out well as a draft plan. 

16 hours ago, Foo Falcons said:

We don't necessarily need a big bruising guy. That just happened to be what they had when Smith became the OC in Tennessee.

A lot of different types of RB will work in this scheme.

14 hours ago, Foo Falcons said:

Very cool man, I'd imagine Ronnie Brown was a fun watch in high school. I come from Woodstock where no one besides Nick Markakis come from haha but I hold onto that one. Love me some high school football playoffs

Ronnie Brown was awesome to watch when he played for Cartersville. My aunt had him in almost every sport when he was VERY small. Was always athletic. I always knew he would go pro but mostly baseball. Surprised me when he went collegiate in football. 

Edited by Hard2BaBirdWachr