Is the 2nd Rd too high for Sermon?

If we are either unable or unwilling to trade up into the back of the 1st Rd, or trade back into the 14-21 range from #4 to get Najee Harris and he in fact is gone in the 2nd, would Sermon make sense as plan B? 

I know getting Sermon in the 3rd or 4th would make everyone feel a little easier but honestly after those two it drops of at the RB position. Hubbard, Michael Carter, Stevenson all are options but we all want a big bruising back that still maintains the speed aspect. 

Its not that we need to do whatever we can to replicate the Titans offense but we all have been clamoring for a big, hardnose RB like Harris and Sermon. The others mentioned above still have upside for sure but they simple don't measure up to the top two guys. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we pull the trigger on Sermon in the 2nd. I wouldn't love it as much as Harris being picked of course but I'd still be very optimistic and excited to see how Arthur Smith uses him. Pair him with a Deonte Brown or some other big LG in Rds 3-5 and let's start pounding the rock like we did the Burner Turner. 

Edited by Foo Falcons
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, because Javonte Williams will still be there in the 2nd for us.

At our 2nd - Yes too high mainly because of his durability questions. I really like him though.

It's worth trading back into the first to get the fifth year option for najee imo.

Just now, Foo Falcons said:

If we are either unable or unwilling to trade up into the back of the 1st Rd, or trade back into the 14-21 range from #4 to get Najee Harris and he in fact is gone in the 2nd, would Sermon make sense as plan B? 

I know getting Sermon in the 3rd or 4th would make everyone feel a little easier but honestly after those two it drops of at the RB position. Hubbard, Michael Carter, Stevenson all are options but we all want a big bruising back that still maintains the speed aspect. 

Its not that we need to do whatever we can to replicate the Titans offense but we all have been clamoring for a big, hardnose RB like Harris and Sermon. The others mentioned above still have upside for sure but they simple don't measure up to the top two guys. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we pull the trigger on Sermon in the 2nd. Not as much as Harris of course but I'd still be very optimistic and excited to see how Arthur Smith uses him. Pair him with a Deonte Brown or some other big LG in Rds 3-5 and let's start pounding the rock like we did the Burner Turner. 

i literally just asked this , crazy lol but in a much more concise way.. but im on high on this dudeeee

1 minute ago, GeniusWizard111 said:

i literally just asked this , crazy lol but in a much more concise way.. but im on high on this dudeeee

Me too. Id hate to wait until our 3rd pick and he's gone. Hubbard is my 3rd option but pulling the trigger on Sermon Rd2 might be the move 

Just now, Foo Falcons said:

Me too. Id hate to wait until our 3rd pick and he's gone. Hubbard is my 3rd option but pulling the trigger on Sermon Rd2 might be the move 

im about to watch his highlights............. my brother said he went to school next door to us............ impressed  ALOT in that title game

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Yes, because Javonte Williams will still be there in the 2nd for us.

I knew I was missing a guy. I like him too along with Hubbard and Carter but none of them are big bruising guys like we need. In a perfect world Ollison becomes that guy or whomever we pick works in this system regardless of size but a bigger guy that can break tackles has been sorely missed here for a while 

3 minutes ago, GeniusWizard111 said:

im about to watch his highlights............. my brother said he went to school next door to us............ impressed  ALOT in that title game

Thats cool, I wished I had moved to Cartersville a few years ago to see Lawrence play. But yeah Sermon is the #2 RB no question at this point. Shows passion when he plays, runs hard, has speed, etc

8 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

At our 2nd - Yes too high mainly because of his durability questions.

I really like him though.

I don't know of any other injuries besides the title game but I haven't looked into up to this point. Injury histories are getting less and less a factor anyways today because technology. Guys bounce back nowadays like the injury never happened. I agree the 2nd is high for him but the point is that if he's gone in the 3rd then it drops off. As far as the bigger, power and speed guys go

30 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Yes. Much to high.

Would love to have Buffalo Jaret Paterson and OK Rhamondre Stevenson to if we go RB even later.

I haven't watched any of Patterson so I'll look into him. I like Stevenson for sure. I agree its high and a 3rd or 4th would be ideal. I just don't wanna miss out on him and Harris. Plenty of good RBs in the draft but, up to this point, none of the rest measure up to the top two guys. I know DE, CB, S, LG are likely better options in Rds 2-3 and hopefully Arthur Smith can make one of the 2nd tier RBs work all the same. I just love the thought of Harris or Sermon on this team and thats what begged the question. 

As we know, mock drafts differ quite a bit from reality. So its just an interesting discussion of IF we take him would it be too high or cause a stir. I like him nonetheless obviously and wouldn't mind it, recent shoulder injury or not. Just imagine Matty Ice having a consistent running game again.. "music to my ear hairs."

23 minutes ago, EpicBird said:

About 2 rounds too high. 

As stated above I agree its high but with Arthur Smith at the helm a solid running game is necessary, like with any team. Hubbard, Williams, Smith, etc are all good later round guys but don't provide the same upside. Id be happy with Ettiene even in the 2nd, even though he's not a bruiser like we need, because he is maybe the best all around guy in the draft. I just wanna run smashmouth football man

I just want a running game.  I think Hill, Smith, and Ollison have more to offer than what we saw given our OC has a strange disdain for running the ball.  Are they good enough?  I do not know.  I think our blocking schemes were wrong but I am not an expert on line blocking.  Can Fontenot and A. Smith figure this out before the draft?

I would love a William Andrews, Michael Turner, even a Jamal Anderson, but that will come with a price.  I want our needs prioritized.  If it is RB first, so be it.  But, make sure that is our number one need or something will fall through the cracks.

1 hour ago, Foo Falcons said:

Thats cool, I wished I had moved to Cartersville a few years ago to see Lawrence play. But yeah Sermon is the #2 RB no question at this point. Shows passion when he plays, runs hard, has speed, etc

Man I watched him in a few games at Weinman when I lived there. I graduated from Cartersville High in 94 and I have to say that he was the most exciting player there since Ronnie Brown (who is my cousin by the way). There was a game they played against Bartram Trail on ESPN that I would say was one of the best games he ever played.

21 minutes ago, atljbo said:

3rd round.... A round to early.

I would target Najee and Williams in the 2nd.... If we are looking at the 3rd round i would look at Sermon and Kenneth Gainwell

I think the general consensus around here is that everyone would love to get Najee in the 2nd, but he's not gonna make it out of the 1st.

45 minutes ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

Man I watched him in a few games at Weinman when I lived there. I graduated from Cartersville High in 94 and I have to say that he was the most exciting player there since Ronnie Brown (who is my cousin by the way). There was a game they played against Bartram Trail on ESPN that I would say was one of the best games he ever played.

Very cool man, I'd imagine Ronnie Brown was a fun watch in high school. I come from Woodstock where no one besides Nick Markakis come from haha but I hold onto that one. Love me some high school football playoffs