I'd say this is probably the next most important hire at this juncture. Smith is calling the plays it sounds like, so really establishing the DC and getting an idea of what pieces will need to go and which ones are to be kept is vital right now.

Forget who Smith has connections and past history with. We need the best mind available.

With Smith being a young coach, I wouldn't mind going with a vet DC like a Wade Phillips or Peas. Romeo Crennel wouldn't be bad hire either. Likely will require a switch to a 3-4 with one of the mentioned so far.

TF has connections with Aaron Glenn, who's well regarded around the league, and of course has been on staff for the Saints over the last few years. Teryl Austin was once being considered for a HC job, and that Steelers secondary has been a true strength since he arrived. Getting a DC job and showcasing himself to be a HC candidate may help us a lot. Plenty of experience here as well.

Brandon Staley is a hot, young name that also may want to get a DC job to showcase himself. I won't rule out Rah and Ulbrich being established as a co-DC pairing. They can truly build things how they would want, and with how much more different the defense looked in general with them, wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please god no to Gregg Williams.

or boobs, some make better points than others

I'm all in for Jeff Ulbrich. Adds a bit of continuity. Let him have a clean slate to assemble a staff, have a voice in personnel and establish an identity. He's an up and comer! GO FALCONS!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I’m curious as to why not? Bountygate? Or is there another reason?

General consensus is dude is a bit toxic...the other is the cover zero call this year...not interested in a guy that was that situationally clueless...even if it was one play.

Just now, Hokies&Falcons said:

There are some good Defensive Coordinators available, like Jim Schwartz, Wade Phillips, and Gregg Williams. All of whom are much better than what we've had here in recent years in my opinion.

I have no idea about scheme fits for Smith though. 

I've heard that Jim Schwartz may be retiring.

Wade Phillips is coming out of retirement and Dean Pees says he'll come out of retirement for the right situation.

5 minutes ago, Hokies&Falcons said:

To this point it’s important to note that Arthur started his career on defense, I expect he has a more wholistic view and perhaps more specific defensive scheme preferences than other OC turned HC. What that preference might be though is anyone’s guess.

15 hours ago, falcndave said:

I haven't heard any yet. Is Morris still technically on staff here?  It would be odd to retain him, but the absence of rumors at this point is equally odd.

I hope they keep Ulbrecht for continuity.  He did a good job and is good at coaching the current scheme.  Our defense is good but they are on the field too much because of 3 and outs from the inept offense.  We do need to draft a safety and/or corner.  Not in any particular order...

28 minutes ago, Hokies&Falcons said:

There are some good Defensive play callers available, like Jim Schwartz, Wade Phillips, and Gregg Williams. All of whom are much better than what we've had here in recent years in my opinion.

Schwartz retired for health reasons 

We getting 2 DC's?

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/1/19/22238366/colts-dbs-coach-jonathan-gannon-reportedly-could-be-co-dc-with-dean-pees-in-atlanta

Colts DBs coach Jonathan Gannon reportedly could be co-DC with Dean Pees in Atlanta

The list of names the Falcons are considering for their coordinator vacancies is slowly growing.

By Dave Choate Jan 19, 2021, 7:32am EST
NFL: Indianapolis Colts at Las Vegas Raiders Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Arthur Smith hasn’t filled any spots on his staff formally just yet, but we’re starting to get a sense of who the new Falcons head coach is interested in. That short list has thus far included Bears passing game coordinator Dave Ragone and Panthers wide receivers coach Frisman Jackson for offensive coordinator and longtime, quasi-retired defensive coordinator Dean Pees for a similar role in Atlanta.

You can now add Colts defensive backs coach Jonathan Gannon to the list, with the interesting note from Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer that he could serve as a co-defensive coordinator with Pees. Based on that report, presumably a condition for Pees coming back to the NFL at 71 years of age would be that he has a capable, younger coach to split the work with.

Gannon is a name heating up in NFL circles, evidently, as the Bears have requested to interview him for their own defensive coordinator vacancy.

Gannon has spent the previous three seasons as the Colts defensive backs coach after spending four seasons as an assistant defensive backs coach with the Vikings for four years. He’s drawn attention for his work with the Colts secondary, an improving unit, and likely based on the strong recommendation of Frank Reich, one of the more well-regarded head coaches in the league today. It’s a safe bet that Gannon would handle something like a defensive passing game coordinator role if he was paired with Pees, but like everything else with Smith’s staff, we’ll have to wait and see.

In addition to Gannon, I’d hope the Falcons would take a closer look at Saints defensive backs coach Aaron Glenn. A respected former player and personnel scout for the Jets from 2012-2013, Glenn has spent the past five years as the Saints’ defensive backs coach, helping to lift a once-terrible secondary to a much more respectable level. Glenn was in play for the Jets head coaching gig this offseason and could be a strong addition for Atlanta in a defensive coordinator role, and new general manager Terry Fontenot would know him well.

We’ll see who the Falcons scoop up for their coordinator openings soon enough, including at special teams coordinator, where we’ve yet to hear any names.

1 hour ago, FalconBlood23 said:

We getting 2 DC's?

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/1/19/22238366/colts-dbs-coach-jonathan-gannon-reportedly-could-be-co-dc-with-dean-pees-in-atlanta

Colts DBs coach Jonathan Gannon reportedly could be co-DC with Dean Pees in Atlanta

The list of names the Falcons are considering for their coordinator vacancies is slowly growing.

By Dave Choate Jan 19, 2021, 7:32am EST
NFL: Indianapolis Colts at Las Vegas Raiders Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Arthur Smith hasn’t filled any spots on his staff formally just yet, but we’re starting to get a sense of who the new Falcons head coach is interested in. That short list has thus far included Bears passing game coordinator Dave Ragone and Panthers wide receivers coach Frisman Jackson for offensive coordinator and longtime, quasi-retired defensive coordinator Dean Pees for a similar role in Atlanta.

You can now add Colts defensive backs coach Jonathan Gannon to the list, with the interesting note from Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer that he could serve as a co-defensive coordinator with Pees. Based on that report, presumably a condition for Pees coming back to the NFL at 71 years of age would be that he has a capable, younger coach to split the work with.

Gannon is a name heating up in NFL circles, evidently, as the Bears have requested to interview him for their own defensive coordinator vacancy.

Gannon has spent the previous three seasons as the Colts defensive backs coach after spending four seasons as an assistant defensive backs coach with the Vikings for four years. He’s drawn attention for his work with the Colts secondary, an improving unit, and likely based on the strong recommendation of Frank Reich, one of the more well-regarded head coaches in the league today. It’s a safe bet that Gannon would handle something like a defensive passing game coordinator role if he was paired with Pees, but like everything else with Smith’s staff, we’ll have to wait and see.

In addition to Gannon, I’d hope the Falcons would take a closer look at Saints defensive backs coach Aaron Glenn. A respected former player and personnel scout for the Jets from 2012-2013, Glenn has spent the past five years as the Saints’ defensive backs coach, helping to lift a once-terrible secondary to a much more respectable level. Glenn was in play for the Jets head coaching gig this offseason and could be a strong addition for Atlanta in a defensive coordinator role, and new general manager Terry Fontenot would know him well.

We’ll see who the Falcons scoop up for their coordinator openings soon enough, including at special teams coordinator, where we’ve yet to hear any names.

Oh yeah. Our D has been so bad we're going to hire 2 DCs. Hahaha

Actually, I've been on Gannon's bandwagon for a bit. There was a connection between he and Smith in TN (I think that's where I found him... maybe they shared an office at some point or were both in the same position with TN).

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Gannon is someone who would excite me, but you can keep that co-coordinator bull****. Reeks of the kind of goofiness we always find ourselves in.

Pick one or the other.

I doubt we will actually have 2 DC's cause I never seen that ever before. I bet tho we get Pees as like a consultant to train up Gannon, or maybe in some assistant role.

1 minute ago, FalconBlood23 said:

I doubt we will actually have 2 DC's cause I never seen that ever before. I bet tho we get Pees as like a consultant to train up Gannon, or maybe in some assistant role.

It’s been done before, mainly at the college level but it’s been done... Vikings had co-coordinators this year.

And at this point if Gannon was my target, I wouldn’t bring in an old guy to look over his should either. Gannon is a hot name right now and I’m sure anxious to put his own stamp on a defense — Eagles with McDaniel for example where he’d likely be able to run the show. You wanna entice a prime candidate you’d have to at least match that.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It’s been done before, mainly at the college level but it’s been done... Vikings had co-coordinators this year.

And at this point if Gannon was my target, I wouldn’t bring in an old guy to look over his should either. Gannon is a hot name right now and I’m sure anxious to put his own stamp on a defense — Eagles with McDaniel for example where he’d likely be able to run the show. You wanna entice a prime candidate you’d have to at least match that.

Yep, that is a good point. Lets see what coach Arthur does with his DC pick, lots of ways he can take it.