Dave Ragone Is Favorite to Be OC

41 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

Well ****, let’s just bring back Dirk... Give the guy a chance. 

I'm not saying it's a poor hire. After all Smith will be the REAL offensive coordinator anyway, but Bears passing game coordinator? It's like being the Detroit Lions playoff win administrator. 

Just now, Dr Long Shot said:

I'm not saying it's a poor hire. After all Smith will be the REAL offensive coordinator anyway, but Bears passing game coordinator? It's like being the Detroit Lions playoff win administrator. 

At some point you have to assess talent too.

He's been working with Trubisky and Foles this season, 2019 it was Trubisky and Chase Daniel, same in 2018, 2017 it was Trubisky and Mike Glennon, and 2016 it was Matt Barkley, Brian Hoyer and Smoking Jay Cutler.  When your team has an obvious QB problem, it's hard to blame the passing game coordinator for that.  He was only the passing game coordinator for 2020 by the way -- prior to that he was the QBs coach.  Again, having no QBs, it's hard to blame them.

Beyond that, their receiving threats are Allen Robinson, who isn't as good as either of our top 2 receivers, Darnell Mooney, who frankly isn't as good as our number 3, and an aging Jimmy Graham who didn't do much this season.  They have a good running back in David Montgomery, but that's the gist of their offensive weapons.  Nobody is looking to see how they can game plan around Trubisky, Robinson and Montgomery.  They'll just stop Montgomery and dare the Bears to throw the football.

I'm honestly not trying to make excuses for the guy.  But he was saddled with bad talent, and he was responsible for the part of the offense where the least talent resided.  I find it hard to blame him for their lack of success.  Maybe he's not very good, but I'm not judging that on 1 year as Chicago's passing game coordinator.  He was the QB coach when Trubisky went to a Pro Bowl and the Bears went to the playoffs, which is probably Trubisky's ceiling.

11 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

I get that, but no matter how you set it up, the player has to execute the plan. Trubisky probably not a good student. 

On 1/15/2021 at 6:40 PM, Expert Poster said:

Any reason why you don't want Smith calling plays?

@PeytonMannings Forehead -- I'm curious about this as well.  I couldn't tell if your "I hope not" was in regard to Smith calling plays or having the OC be a figurehead.

I'd agree on the latter -- the coordinator is important no matter who calls the plays.  But if it's the former, I'm curious why?

17 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead -- I'm curious about this as well.  I couldn't tell if your "I hope not" was in regard to Smith calling plays or having the OC be a figurehead.

I'd agree on the latter -- the coordinator is important no matter who calls the plays.  But if it's the former, I'm curious why?

It’s not that I don’t want him to call plays, I push back at the notion that “we hired him to call plays”. If that’s the case then we hired an offensive coordinator and not a head coach, and too many on the board, through this process of clamoring for an offensive coach, have lost sight of the fact that the job of HC encompasses more than just running one side of the ball.

It’s not sexy but it’s a lot more CEO and personnel management. If he’s only good at calling and designing offense and not the rest of it, we’re fu***d.

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It’s not that I don’t want him to call plays, I push back at the notion that “we hired him to call plays”. If that’s the case then we hired an offensive coordinator and not a head coach, and too many on the board, through this process of clamoring for an offensive coach, have lost sight of the fact that the job of HC encompasses more than just running one side of the ball.

It’s not sexy but it’s a lot more CEO and personnel management. If he’s only good at calling and designing offense and not the rest of it, we’re fu***d.

Got it, and agree.  Thanks.