• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Run first WCO with elements taken from the LeFleur version. Uses a lot of playaction. It's literally his own design. 

Well done videos breaking by down the zone read and play action over the past two years.    opinion: Ryan will thrive in this system. (Or new QB 🤪)  We will also need a really good RB too.   

3 hours ago, CMarinoNFL said:

Smith had 8 snaps all season without a tight end. Expect the team to add another starting caliber TE, similar to Jonnu Smith and his role. Guys that pop up as fits:

Trade a 6th for Browns' David Njoku - Njoku is a remarkable fit in Smith's offense. The Browns deploy primarily 11 and 12 personnel, similar to the Titans. Njoku has the ability to separate but also can be a red zone threat, given his speed and enormous arms. The former first rounder is now a 2nd stringer behind the hometown hero, Austin Hoooooooper. 

Sign 2021 UFA Geoff Swaim - Swaim comes right from Smith's offense. Wasn't used massively, but can be an inline blocker or a block and shed TE candidate. He'd be massively cheap, and scheme familiarity helps ten fold. Not as likely as the latter, but a possibility nonetheless. Swaim was once a reliable target in Dallas. 

Havent done extensive research thus far, but these are two guys that appeared in my head. With how Fontenot has spoken about his aggressiveness in the pro base and trades, I think there's a possibility he adds one or a couple quality players for cheap via trade. Njoku is a serious possibility imm. 

Ruckert in the 4th round. 

On 1/15/2021 at 2:12 PM, falconsd56 said:

We have a 230ish lb back on the roster

On 1/15/2021 at 2:13 PM, Thelonious Mingus said:

Ryan is a shell of himself. I hope he proves me wrong. This is not 2016. Fields/Wilson/Lance would be unstoppable in this offense though. I'm starting to like this Smitty deal even more once we get a capable big back. Our O Line problems are gone with his schemes.

On 1/15/2021 at 2:14 PM, NWFALCON said:

Power back is more than weight. Q is not anything close to Najee. 

well, we haven't seen najee or Q in the NFL really, so who knows? I would like Q to get a shot and at least see what we have there before using more draft capital on a bruiser RB, but I understand the sentiment where it would be dangerous to have an iffy situation there assuming Q can get it done. I lean in the direction of having a top-tier OL first, but with this draft and FA perhaps we can do both. Will be interesting to see how the new regime handles the roster.

On 1/15/2021 at 8:54 PM, Sidecar Falcon said:

Not obsessed with it. I doubt we resign him to another contract since he'll be 29 at the start of the 2022 season. I'm confident that between Smith/Ryan we can develop a much younger and cheaper option with minimal capital given. Jaguars don't have a viable TE, and they are probably going to select Lawrence. Pairing a young QB with a veteran TE would be mutually beneficial to both positions. Not to mention they have a good RB with no real receiving threat. This provides Lawrence with a safety net while also helping their running game.

So he

On 1/16/2021 at 8:20 AM, JDaveG said:

This is so surface level. 

But real talk — Mike Mularkey’s offenses consistently had higher PPG than Koetter’s. The only real exceptions being 2009 for Mularkey when Ryan was injured and 2012 for Koetter where he averaged about half a point higher than what Mularkey had been producing. And Art Smith is bringing back the wide zone and WCO system that had this team averaging a full TD more than either of them in 2016. And even though his offendes don’t, they do average a full TD more than Koetter and around 5 points more than Mularkey.

As I said before, give me more of that kind of boring please. 

I was definitely exaggerating, full disclosure.

I'm just frustrated that guys who run the ball as much as Arthur Smith does are getting rewarded with promotions. It's a passing league. Running a bunch and relying on opponents' mistakes to win is such a Mike Smith/Mularkey mindset. At the very least, Smith loves his play action, which is huge. I just absolutely despise that people are talking about finding an RB to fit the system as if the reason Tennessee's offense has been good these past 2 seasons was because of Derrick Henry. It's an extremely frustrating discourse so the whole "Smith = Mularkey" comment was more just a snide comment for me to vent with.

21 hours ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Zach Wilson would kill in his system..

just about anyone would kill in his system, as much play action as he uses, it's basically designed to be extremely high floor with the ceiling determined by how good the QB is. The issue isn't having a good offense under Smith, it's having a good enough offense to compete with the actual elite offenses.

2 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

very grounded take here, be more like this guy

18 minutes ago, grandcanyonaz said:

I expect them to run and throw the ball.

And the more they do both, the more effective both will be because the defense can't cheat to one or the other which makes the defense less effective against both.

2 minutes ago, PapaJoe said:

And the more they do both, the more effective both will be because the defense can't cheat to one or the other which makes the defense less effective against both.

this is proven untrue.

if you act like you're going to run, you don't even need to actually do it, because defensive players are trained to play the run first, pass second. Multiple studies have been done proving that there is no correlation between run game frequency or effectiveness and play action effectiveness.

1 hour ago, Kayoh said:

I'm just frustrated that guys who run the ball as much as Arthur Smith does are getting rewarded with promotions. It's a passing league. Running a bunch and relying on opponents' mistakes to win is such a Mike Smith/Mularkey mindset. At the very least, Smith loves his play action, which is huge. I just absolutely despise that people are talking about finding an RB to fit the system as if the reason Tennessee's offense has been good these past 2 seasons was because of Derrick Henry. It's an extremely frustrating discourse so the whole "Smith = Mularkey" comment was more just a snide comment for me to vent with.

Henry wasn’t Henry before Smith. Get outta here and go work on your crap *** metric system.

9 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

How many points a game did the Titans score under him? 8th last year and that’s with Mariota at the start and 4th this year. How’s that for keeping up with elite offenses? Their defense was awful this year too.

how good was the offense when trailing? Because it's the type of offense that's great at maintaining a lead as long as you get out to an early one. But against elite offenses, you've got to be capable of digging yourself out of a hole. TEN while trailing in 2020 was 10th in the NFL in offensive success rate. Trailing by 8+ they were 12th. They aren't built to win from behind, much like the Ravens. Play action spam is nice but it also doesn't work when you're in such a hole that the defense knows you're going to pass.

13 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

how good was the offense when trailing? Because it's the type of offense that's great at maintaining a lead as long as you get out to an early one. But against elite offenses, you've got to be capable of digging yourself out of a hole. TEN while trailing in 2020 was 10th in the NFL in offensive success rate. Trailing by 8+ they were 12th. They aren't built to win from behind, much like the Ravens. Play action spam is nice but it also doesn't work when you're in such a hole that the defense knows you're going to pass.

So they were top 10 and top half of the league? Lol

2 hours ago, Kayoh said:

If Smith can continue making players better than they really are, we could have a special season next year....cause the Titans had way less talent than ATL offensively.  

Imagine a system that makes Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Hurst, Matthews, Lindstrom, Gage, McGary etc better players than they otherwise would be.  
Unfortunately the last few years the players have made the coaches look like better coaches than they actually are. And that is a recipe for disaster

25 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If Smith can continue making players better than they really are, we could have a special season next year....cause the Titans had way less talent than ATL offensively.  

Imagine a system that makes Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Hurst, Matthews, Lindstrom, Gage, McGary etc better players than they otherwise would be.  
Unfortunately the last few years the players have made the coaches look like better coaches than they actually are. And that is a recipe for disaster

Smith doesn't necessarily make players better than they really are. Ryan Tannehill isn't actually the player he was under Gase, that was Gase holding him back. He's not an amazing QB but he's a pretty good one. Like top 20 in the league or so probably. Corey Davis and AJ Brown are both good. Jonnu Smith is really good. Derrick Henry is probably the best pure runner in the league. The OL has good talent across the board. Smith isn't some kind of miracle machine, his whole gimmick is spamming play action more than everyone else. It's a great trick but if you have to rely on it you're kinda setting yourself up to fail if you ever trail in a game.

6 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

Smith doesn't necessarily make players better than they really are. Ryan Tannehill isn't actually the player he was under Gase, that was Gase holding him back. He's not an amazing QB but he's a pretty good one. Like top 20 in the league or so probably. Corey Davis and AJ Brown are both good. Jonnu Smith is really good. Derrick Henry is probably the best pure runner in the league. The OL has good talent across the board. Smith isn't some kind of miracle machine, his whole gimmick is spamming play action more than everyone else. It's a great trick but if you have to rely on it you're kinda setting yourself up to fail if you ever trail in a game.

Smiths offense has scored the most TD’s in football the last two years with slightly above average personnel

• 2017 & 2018 Titans: 19.8 ppg

• 2019 & 220 Titans With Tannehill: 32 ppg